Antique show find

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
Gunsil

Antique show find

Post by Gunsil »

Attended a pretty quality antique show yesterday in western NJ, found this nice little Robeson. It was the only fine condition antique knife I saw. It is basically unused/unsharpened although the photos don't show the finish well. I love the pattern, condition, and the blade grinds on the master, wish it had different covers than the Robeson gumfuddy, but it was VERY reasonably priced.
FA216D11-5998-44B2-890F-11646AAD1C35.jpeg
6305A209-7832-471F-9387-8020B8E23BFA.jpeg
zzyzzogeton

Re: Antique show find

Post by zzyzzogeton »

NIce find. Those are rare as hen's teeth in Texas.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Very nice, Gene! 8)
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

zzyzzogeton wrote: Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:11 pm NIce find. Those are rare as hen's teeth in Texas.
hens' teeth (Small).JPG
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

I really have no explanation for that handle material. Most knives that have it have a “6” as the first digit in the pattern number, if, indeed, they have one and that situation was present during WWII, when genuine bone was not available. Even Case used a black composition, instead of bone at that time.

But, most of the Robeson knives I have seen with that material predate WWII.

I think that material was supplied to Robeson by The Rogers Bone Company and it was a pressure-molded product. I have seen a demonstration set by Rogers that illustrated that fact.

I have seen the material mostly on Robeson knives marked, DEMONSTRATOR, but it was used on others, as well.

I’m not infatuated with the material, but surely we can come up with something better than gumfuddy.

I call it hard rubber.

Nice knife, by the way.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I have seen something similar on Landers Frary & Clark, Wostenholm, and Boker. I don't think anyone alive knows the formulas?
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice find Gene! ::tu::

By observation there were several “jigged” black synthetic materials used by various makers prior to the advent of Delrin. According to former (now deceased) Case President Bob Farquharson, “Gum Fuddy” was the informal, and somewhat derogatory name given to the “rough black” material used by Case. I don’t know what Case officially called it in catalogs back in the day, but it seems to be some sort of hard rubber type of synthetic with a flat non-shiny texture. Charlie’s comments make me wonder if Rogers was the source of the Case rough black as well. ::shrug:: Case revived the Gum Fuddy name a few years ago on a line of rough black knives but IMHO it’s not the same material.

Other old black synthetics seem harder and more shiny (sometimes seen on older Case contract knives made by Camillus for example, and knives from several other makers like Imperial, Western, etc.). I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before on a Robeson, so the OP knife is a gem!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Very nice find Gene! ::tu:: It appears to be in top-notch condition as well! 8)
8)
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Nice little pen, Gene.
Can you give us that model number, I can't quite make it out.
Joe
BWT

Post by BWT »

That’s a good looking knife Gene ::tu:: ::tu:: I have a Demonstrator that probably has the same material I imagine? I like the pattern on yours.
Bill
Gunsil

Post by Gunsil »

Thank you all for the compliments on my new little knife!! Joe, the model number is 622359, like Charlie says begins with a 6. Charlie, I don't like the gumfuddy designation myself, I usually just say rough black but this material is more brown than black. I don't know that it is actually hard rubber so I shy away from that although I would use that term if I had proof it was hard rubber.
Resophonatic
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Resophonatic »

I like it, gumfuddy and all.

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”