Factory Second Scale Scores!

A place to discuss modern tactical knives like Benchmade, Spyderco, Kershaw, Cold Steel, CRKT, and more.
cody6268

Factory Second Scale Scores!

Post by cody6268 »

The Spyderco Factory Sale, in which Spyderco sells cosmetically imperfect knives for peanuts, due to COVID-19, was first postponed, and then moved online, which meant I could participate. I marked the Dec. 3 date on my paper calendar, and PC way back in mid November. The day was today. I saved the date, and then logged on at exactly 12PM. Server timed out. SEveral more server timeouts, I added one knife to my cart. I was away from home for about an hour, and since I was a passenger, I was trying the whole time on my phone. Got back home, same exact problem. Finally, at a little after 3 this afternoon, I was able to get the Native 5 and Para 3 that I really wanted, albeit, not in exactly the same configurations I wanted. Also found that a $11 Robin 2 I'd added while on my phone, was added to the Native and Para 3, so I got it as well. I wanted more colorful handles, and perhaps some more exotic steels, but I'm already more than $50 over budget here, but I got three for less than the price of the regular Para 3. This group also marks my first S30V bladed knives.

If anyone here scored, I'd really like to see what you got!

$37 Native 5 Lightweight Black, Combination Edge S30V blade. New ones, at average prices seem to be about $100-$105. MSRP is $150! I wanted PE, and a more colorful handle, but I'm happy I got what I got.
spyderco-c41psbk5-cm-bhq-30197-jr-1-large.jpg
$66 Paramilitary 3: black G-10 handle, black S30V blade. The Para 3, I thought was a "small" knife at about 4" closed, it's actually 4 1/4 with a 3" blade! MSRP $217; usual price about $150. Wanted the camo G-10 handle, but am happy to get what I got.
C223GPBK_Both.png
$11 Byrd Robin 2. Budget version of the Dragonfly. $48 MSRP, usually about $30. I threw this one in because it was cheap. Should've got many more Byrds now that I think of it.
61rrwQ2hj2L._AC_SL1000_.jpg

And $13 shipping; because I didn't have a $150 order, which was the threshold for free shipping. Should've added one more knife (or a few Byrds) that would've put it over that threshold ; but I was overbudget a LOT already.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Factory Second Scale Scores!

Post by Colonel26 »

Wow! I never knew they had a seconds sale. Is it normally an in person thing? I’d sure love to add a Paramilitary2 to the stable.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Colonel26 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:39 pm Wow! I never knew they had a seconds sale. Is it normally an in person thing? I’d sure love to add a Paramilitary2 to the stable.
Yes, they typically hold it at their facility on Golden, CO. They had first postponed it, and then towards the middle of last month, announced they would be holding it online today. I think they are in the process of posting a second wave of knives now for this sale on the Spyderco website. As of right now, practically everything, which is from the first batch, is sold out. The prices are very good. I paid MSRP from a reseller once for a factory second (but long discontinued) Byrd Slip It Wings. Yet, I got these all for roughly a third of MSRP.

It started at 10AM MT, and is supposed to end at 6PM MT. That equates roughly to 12PM here, and ends at 8 here.
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Those are some great prices! You hit the jackpot!

I won't be getting in on the sale but I just waned to post that I'm a huge fan of the Robin. Mine are all the originals (Robin 1 I guess) except the Titanium which is a Robin 2. I also have a stainless steel model with some engraving on it that's too personal to post.

These Robins have the best in hand grip of any knife I've ever owned in this size range. That goes for all of them but especially the FRN models. There was a time when the Robin was my favorite knife.
Attachments
IMG_3842.JPG
IMG_3831.JPG
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.

Return to “Modern Tactical Knives”