Gerber History

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
MUD

Re: Gerber History

Post by MUD »

To my knowledge, the brass and wood knives are all lockbacks and are Gerber's folding sportsman line of knives made from the early 70s to the mid 90s.

The PK series of four knives we're stainless and wood with brass liners made fithe mid 70s to early 80a

The Skookum was the first in the PK series.
The PK 2 (Pete's knife) was the second. Two variations, straight and drop point.
The PK 3 (Handyman) has a linerlock Maine blade and a screwdriver secondary.

As for what PK is (I always figured Pete's knife because of the PK 2) , one of the Gerber guru's will have to answer that one.

Hope that helps.
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Pk1 1973-81
PK2 1974-81
Pk3 1975-81
Pk2d 1976-82
Pk1 Skookum.jpg
pk3 handyman.jpg
pk3 handyman.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 7975 times
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Pk1 1973-81
PK2 1974-81
Pk3 1975-81
Pk2d 1976-82

Pk1 Skookum.jpg
Pk1 Skookum
Pk2.jpg
Pk2.jpg (2.74 KiB) Viewed 7974 times
pk3 handyman.jpg
pk3 handyman.jpg (4.76 KiB) Viewed 7974 times
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
WilValOr

Post by WilValOr »

Hi guys & gals, I'm new here, but I've been a fan of Gerber Legendary Blades since almost forever. I bought my first one in the early-mid '70s, a Sportsman II, and carried it until it was lost in the Williamson River doing battle with a large rainbow trout, sometime around 1994.
(A long sad story about how to lose a great knife and a large fish in a VERY short time)
It gutted and skinned many a deer and a few elk, and cleaned an untold number of Klamath Basin trout before it disappeared into the waters of the Williamson.

Since long before I lost that one, I added a number to my collection, and have continued ever since even though I'm a user not a collector. There's few things as satisfying as using a quality knife for the purpose it was intended. So I do.
And for me, nothing has ever come close to my Gerbers. In my shop, in the field, and in my forays into the kitchen.

Anyway, I came across this history of Gerber sometime back, and thought it might be of interest here. Included in this woman's account of the family, the company and the kitchen knives, is the story of the legendary swords these fine blades were named after.
It's in Adobe PDF, if you want to download it and save it, or print it out.

http://www.susandoreydesigns.com/insigh ... Blades.pdf
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Hi WilValOr,
From your name I would guess we don't live too far apart, I am in Salem.
Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

If you do live in the Willamette Valley also you may be familiar with the OKCA, (Oregon Knife Collectors Association), based in Eugene. One of our members, Phil Rodenberg, wrote the only book I am aware of on Gerber knives. It is called A Chronology of Gerber Legendary Blades; 1939-1986. I believe they still have a few copies of this left at Knife World Books. http://www.knifeworld.com/gerber.html

If you can get a copy of Phil's book I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Welcome aboard! ::tu::
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WilValOr

Post by WilValOr »

orvet wrote:Hi WilValOr,
From your name I would guess we don't live too far apart, I am in Salem.
Welcome to AAPK! ::welcome::

If you do live in the Willamette Valley also you may be familiar with the OKCA, (Oregon Knife Collectors Association), based in Eugene. One of our members, Phil Rodenberg, wrote the only book I am aware of on Gerber knives. It is called A Chronology of Gerber Legendary Blades; 1939-1986. I believe they still have a few copies of this left at Knife World Books. http://www.knifeworld.com/gerber.html

If you can get a copy of Phil's book I'm sure you will enjoy it.
Welcome aboard! ::tu::
Yup, I'm just east of you Orvet, in the beautiful Santiam Canyon country.

And I'll be following up on that book, you can be sure of that.
In the meantime I'll see what I can share on the Gerber gems I have acquired over the years. From my "Classic Walnut" favorites to the U.S. assist I just received.
But my favorites will always be my FSII, FSIID and the FSIII. "The finest production folding knives ever built, at any price."
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Did you know that there is a one day mini show at the fairgrounds in Eugene on next Saturday the eighth?
I will be there with a table. The when her show has been so good the last few years that they have double the number of tables. And the show is free to the public. I think OKCA is one of the better clubs and their April show is world-renowned.

There's a flyer below with information on dates and time for next Saturday's show.
Mini%20Show%202018.jpg

Sorry to hijack the thread, now we can get back to Gerber's, but if you come to the show you are almost guaranteed to see plenty of Gerber's!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
WilValOr

Post by WilValOr »

Oh great, somebody else to help me find ways to spend my money. As if I needed any help.
Gee thanks orvet! ;^)
MUD

Post by MUD »

WilValOr wrote:Oh great, somebody else to help me find ways to spend my money. As if I needed any help.
Gee thanks orvet! ;^)

HAHAHAHAHA!!
Good thing I live an airplane ride away.
Ain't getting on no plane Hannibal!!!
But I might have to find me a Face man to slip me a mickey.

Might as well spend it can't take it with ya
Plus you get to enjoy it that way
My name is Mud,
MUD

Post by MUD »

WilValOr wrote:Hi guys & gals, I'm new here, but I've been a fan of Gerber Legendary Blades since almost forever. I bought my first one in the early-mid '70s, a Sportsman II, and carried it until it was lost in the Williamson River doing battle with a large rainbow trout, sometime around 1994.
(A long sad story about how to lose a great knife and a large fish in a VERY short time)
It gutted and skinned many a deer and a few elk, and cleaned an untold number of Klamath Basin trout before it disappeared into the waters of the Williamson.

Since long before I lost that one, I added a number to my collection, and have continued ever since even though I'm a user not a collector. There's few things as satisfying as using a quality knife for the purpose it was intended. So I do.
And for me, nothing has ever come close to my Gerbers. In my shop, in the field, and in my forays into the kitchen.

Anyway, I came across this history of Gerber sometime back, and thought it might be of interest here. Included in this woman's account of the family, the company and the kitchen knives, is the story of the legendary swords these fine blades were named after.

Thanks for the download.
My name is Mud,
WilValOr

Post by WilValOr »

MUD wrote:
WilValOr wrote:Hi guys & gals, I'm new here, but I've been a fan of Gerber Legendary Blades since almost forever. I bought my first one in the early-mid '70s, a Sportsman II, and carried it until it was lost in the Williamson River doing battle with a large rainbow trout, sometime around 1994.

Thanks for the download.
You're welcome MUD.

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it sure sounds good.
I know she missed a decimal point on her listing of steel content.
But other than that, it seems legit.

One of the first experiences with Gerber knives I recall involved a family friend's wife getting seriously P-Oed at him because the GERBER steak knives he gave her for Christmas damaged/scratched her family's heirloom china.
So when she said to get rid of them, he gave them to my dad.
MUD

Post by MUD »

WilValOr wrote:
MUD wrote:

Thanks for the download.
You're welcome MUD.

I can't vouch for its accuracy, but it sure sounds good.
I know she missed a decimal point on her listing of steel content.
But other than that, it seems legit.

One of the first experiences with Gerber knives I recall involved a family friend's wife getting seriously P-Oed at him because the GERBER steak knives he gave her for Christmas damaged/scratched her family's heirloom china.
So when she said to get rid of them, he gave them to my dad.

The steel that cuts steel.
I believe that was one of their taglines back when.
I guess whoever cut the plate must've been pretty hungry.
Luck for you.

Even though they ain't the same, a good bit of the new stuff they've got is still old-school Legendary Blades quality (even though they took that away).
Glad to have you aboard.
My name is Mud,
at99sy

Post by at99sy »

Have any of you ever heard of a Blackie Collins TAC-III? It is a single sided blade rather than the double like the Tac-I and Tac-II
It says First Production Run 1994.

I have spent ridiculous amounts of time trying to figure it out.

Any idea about production numbers, value, etc? I contacted Gerber and they have no info on it either.
The paperwork in the box is from Gastonia, NC someone told me it could have been a prototype, but that doesn't sound reasonable.
It is in perfect shape as far as I can tell.

Many thanks for any info you may have,

cheers
Attachments
image0 (6).jpeg

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”