Show off your Gerber Knives

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Show off your Gerber Knives

Post by Mossdancer »

Sut Tatersaul:
Hi, I do not think there is a protocol for showing your knives. It is my thought on the matter that every person owns their own knives and can do as they wish with them. I will not clean a knife or wash off any of its character because it all tells me a story. You accumulated by one method or another and all of them tells you a differing tale. By the way the green stuff that appeared on your Gerber while stored in the leather sheaths was called Verdigris pronounced ver di gree, the I is said as in it. It is created by some sort of reaction between the metal and the leather. If you already knew this please accept it as me trying to be helpful and not a know it all. I happen to like all knives, the old Gerbers are among my favorites because they are sort of home grown, available at a reasonably cost(there are some exceptions to the cost angle) and seem to endure for a long period of time.
Accumulate what you like and do with as you wish. My opinion, the story is a part of ownership. I will post later with a couple of examples.
moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

CheckSix wrote:my only Gerber... a Blackie Collins designed Gerber Clip Lock Boot Knife. This one made in Portland, OR.
Hi, Check Six:
The Gerber boot knife you show, really flops my mop. Is that an old knife, or are they still made, or available? Thanks for sharing that neat knife with us.
Sut Tatersaul
It's Mind Over Matter, If You Don't Mind, It Don't Matter
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:
CheckSix wrote:my only Gerber... a Blackie Collins designed Gerber Clip Lock Boot Knife. This one made in Portland, OR.
Hi, Check Six:
The Gerber boot knife you show, really flops my mop. Is that an old knife, or are they still made, or available? Thanks for sharing that neat knife with us.
Sut Tatersaul
I think they were made back in the 80's or 90's. The initial ones were made in Portland, then from Italy afterwards. I'm sure you can find a used one.
They are known as the Gerber Blackie Collins River Runner Dive Boot Knife.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:are they still made, or available?
Sut - Here's one that ends today for the bargain price of $119 http://www.ebay.com/itm/Gerber-Blackie- ... Sw-4BXYHo5
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi,All:
Well, I sort of messed up, I saw the pictures of what I think is a great boot knife, the Gerber Clip lock, designed by an old favorite designer, and maker of mine, Blackie Collins. I didn't read the description close enough, of one of those knifes offered on E-Bay. it was offered without a sheath. I just went ahead and bought it. Then I found out it didn't have the sheath, which is an intricate part of the locking system. I got it all cleaned up, and looking like new. Now, I'll have to find a sheath, or make one, to carry it. I might even get one made, if, my old arthritic crippled fingers will cooperate. I just got too enthused with that, great designed, little knife, and got carried away, but, it will "All come out in the wash" as they say.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01731.JPG
DSC01734.JPG
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

That's a great looking knife, Sut. I hope it all works out for you. ::tu::
Joe
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Found this set this weekend.
No date listed on the brochure.
DSCN0578.JPG
DSCN0581.JPG
DSCN0580.JPG
schmoozer

Post by schmoozer »

Silly me...just looked at the bottom of the case.
DSCN0582.JPG
DSCN0583.JPG
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Nice EBJ set. If the blades are chrome it is a 1950 set if not somewhere between 1946 and 1949. Look to be unused condition. Good find. The truncated handles are becoming harder to get in condition as yours are.
moss
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Sut Tatersaul wrote:Hi,All:
Well, I sort of messed up, I saw the pictures of what I think is a great boot knife, the Gerber Clip lock, designed by an old favorite designer, and maker of mine, Blackie Collins. I didn't read the description close enough, of one of those knifes offered on E-Bay. it was offered without a sheath. I just went ahead and bought it. Then I found out it didn't have the sheath, which is an intricate part of the locking system. I got it all cleaned up, and looking like new. Now, I'll have to find a sheath, or make one, to carry it. I might even get one made, if, my old arthritic crippled fingers will cooperate. I just got too enthused with that, great designed, little knife, and got carried away, but, it will "All come out in the wash" as they say.

Sut Tatersaul
I have been giving some thought to my need for a sheath, to fit this Boot Knife. I am inclined to think, that since the sheath, was a crucial part of this knife's locking system, I would prefer to find a factory sheath, and keep it original. Does anyone know where I might find one? Although It would be great fun, I think I'll wait a while, before diving into making one. Help? Thoughts on this will be appreciated.
Sut Tatersaul
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Here are four recent adds. Are all very good or better. The assisted open Fairbairn Applegate fires as fast as an Automatic and even has a nice lock. The one made in Taiwan is actually a nice looking knife. They are all to new for me so they will be in my store as a lot sale.
moss
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0015.JPG
PICT0024.JPG
PICT0020.JPG
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
Well, I think I've covered all of my options on finding a Sheath for my Gerber Clip Lock, Boot knife. To top it all off, my computer has locked out the use of Google, to search with. I am going to try to impose on a member, to send me the pictures of the back of their Blackie Collins designed Gerber, Clip Lock, Boot Knife, as I'll just have to build a sheath. Check Six on this forum has one, maybe I can get him, or some other considerate member, to send, me pictures of the back of their's? Thanks.
Sut Tatersual
503GerberGuy

Post by 503GerberGuy »

The knives in this post are awesome! This is my Sportsman combo BH&P.
Attachments
20170725_104613.jpg
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Welcome aboard 503GerberGuy:
Is your name possibly Angelo,
Moss
503GerberGuy

Post by 503GerberGuy »

No but my brother played baseball for Angelo's Pizza in southern Oregon. Thanks for the invite.
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

::welcome:: to AAPK, 503GerberGuy, and thanks for sharing your Gerbers! Judging by your username, I expect you might find a lot to like in this forum. Glad to have you aboard! ::tu::
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
503GerberGuy

Post by 503GerberGuy »

Thank you.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Here is a 450 and Sheath I have had for years. I thought a blade such as this needed a better background than my old chamois so Here it is laying on a Zebra leather taken in the late 1890's .
moss
PICT0008.JPG
PICT0009.JPG
PICT0010.JPG
PICT0011.JPG
PCwizard

Post by PCwizard »

I few of my Gerber Silver knights, the large one (3 3/4 closed) has been posted before I replaced the handle with inner mammoth Ivory. The small one (3 1/4 closed) is a WIP using Mammoth Tooth. I still have a lot of fine sanding to do. truthfully I'm not as happy with the work I did on this one but then again it was my first time working with Mammoth Tooth.
Attachments
1.jpg
2.jpg
Sut Tatersaul

Post by Sut Tatersaul »

Hi, All:
I am a fairly new member to the AAPK knife forum, and joined, thinking that I would get some badly needed information, about a neat little boot knife, that I bought without doing my homework. I bought it without the sheath, which is an intricate part of the system. Well after trying every source I could find, to buy one I decided to design and build one. I started this project in early July, and just finished today. I made the front , and back panels of lightweight tempered aluminum, the center spacer of Lucite, and the nylon adjustable boot clip from a cellphone holster. I was trying for lightweight, and strength. My arthritis, failing eyesight, memory loss, loss of strength, and old age, at 86 yrs. all contributed to the length of time that I spent making this sheath. But, as they say, "Here she is". Thanks for sharing, a subject that will only interest a very few.
Sut Tatersaul
Attachments
DSC01818.JPG
DSC01821.JPG
DSC01825.JPG
DSC01827.JPG
DSC01830.JPG
DSC01823.JPG
DSC01830.JPG
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

Wow, excellent work, ST! I recall when you first got the knife without realizing the sheath was so integral.

Well done! ::tu::
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Great job
moss
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

ST,
That's a fine job! ::tu::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
MUD

Post by MUD »

That's a good looking sheath!!! ::tu::
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told
MUD

Post by MUD »

Here's a couple of 47 MIMINGS I finished cleaning up a week or so ago. I had the 50s box and thought they'd go good together.
IMG_20171005_155814686.jpg
My name is Mud,
But call me Alowishus Devadander Abercrombie
That's long for Mud, so I've been told

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”