Show off your Gerber Knives

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
onthehunt

Re: Show off your Gerber Knives

Post by onthehunt »

20200731_142921.jpg
20200731_141425.jpg
20200731_141130.jpg
I was wondering if someone with a copy of Phil's chronology of legendary blades would have insite on the year and what they would call this with the clip point blade. looks to me they made the box too short or the knife too long and took it to the belt sander. it also came with the Gerber hand made blades price sheet showing the knife box with the hook closure on the box.
I have only seen one other gerber with this clip point style on an older handle with no finger guard.
14-1/8 from bottom guard to tip.
19-5/8 from end to end.
thanks
john.
whiskeytango315

Post by whiskeytango315 »

What is stamped on the side of the handle, should be the name of the knife, and can you post a pic of the price list
onthehunt

Post by onthehunt »

only marking on knife is GERBER
20200731_153719.jpg
20200731_153657.jpg
20200731_141207.jpg
whiskeytango315

How long is the blade?
onthehunt

Post by onthehunt »

nothing on bottom or right side.
20200731_154415.jpg
if this was a straight on top, it would be too long for this box.
20200731_142231.jpg
onthehunt

Post by onthehunt »

14-1/8" measuring from the bottom guard
whiskeytango315

Over all blade length, from guard to tip. Trying to establish the model
onthehunt

Post by onthehunt »

20200731_163302.jpg
20200731_163252.jpg
whiskeytango315

Looks to be a "Giant Excalibur". According to Phil's book it's a 1941 production only. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
It looks like one of the oldest ones they made, think they started production in 1941. Phil has a set in his book that was the first set produced in 1940.
Attachments
KIMG0255_1.JPG
KIMG0256.JPG
onthehunt

Post by onthehunt »

whiskeytango,
thanks for the pictures and the info
I've been looking for a copy of Phil's book for some time. definitely odd shape blade. the only other one I've seen is on worthpoint with a 8.5 inchish blade.
Screenshot_20200731-164142_Chrome.jpg
whiskeytango315

::tu:: ::tu:: , no problem. If you want to send me a pm. I can try to help you with a copy.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I have a copy of Phil's book, but I haven't seen him at the OKCA show and probably 6 years. We did a little trading last time he was there and I got an A325 from Phil, a knife that Al Mar designed. That was the last time I have seen Phil. He mentioned some health problems but didn't go into specifics.
According to an article written by Ham Gerber and reprinted in Phil's book entitled; "Origins of G.L.B.", Ham says the 1st year the knives were made was 1939 and they were all given away as presents to some of Joseph Gerber's friends and clients of his advertising agency. In 1940 I believe was the 1st year they actually made knives to sell. In the video goal shows a set of those original knives.

I've tried to call Phil and emailed him several times to get another copy of his book but I have not been able to connect with him. Phil published the book at his own expense and numbered and signed them for people. Phil told me he published the book at his own expense. He wrote the number of each copy he sold on a blank on the title page. You can see mine is number 78 of 100, from the 1st printing. I don't know if there was ever a 2nd printing.
It's really a shame if his book does not get reprinted. It's the only book I am aware of that was ever printed on Gerber Legendary Blades and it goes from 1939 to 1986, the data which Fiskar's purchased Gerber. There's a lot of good information on Gerber in LG 4 but Phil's is the only book I know that is dedicated exclusively to Gerber. I do wish he had put dimensions of the knives in his book but even without them is an incredibly valuable resource for the Gerber fan.
There is a very interesting interview with Phil on YouTube that was done at the OKCA show in 2008 I believe. Phil is an impressive fountain of knowledge on Gerber's, I'm sure you'll enjoy the video: https://youtu.be/5mJVv9_CREE
Attachments
Chronology of GLB -Phil Rodenberg title page.jpg
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Very cool Gerber memorabilia, Dale. It's always interesting to learn knife about history from those who made it as well as from those who were closely connected to them. You have some fantastic treasures in your archives for sure.

I recently picked up a couple more Gerber Gators to use as wampum in trades with the locals...the fishermen and pig/goat hunters really like that particular style of knife (with good reason).

But this Gerber Straitlace is one that I'll be keeping for myself. Something about it really appeals to me.

P6130003.JPG
P6130006.JPG
We are all just prisoners here of our own device.
In the master's chamber they gather for the feast.
They stab it with their steely knives but they just can't kill the beast.
(Eagles: Hotel California)

~Q~
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 am Very cool Gerber memorabilia, Dale. It's always interesting to learn knife about history from those who made it as well as from those who were closely connected to them. You have some fantastic treasures in your archives for sure.

I recently picked up a couple more Gerber Gators to use as wampum in trades with the locals...the fishermen and pig/goat hunters really like that particular style of knife (with good reason).

But this Gerber Straitlace is one that I'll be keeping for myself. Something about it really appeals to me.

P6130003.JPGP6130006.JPG
The Straitlace and WIngtip have been one of the few imported Gerbers that are hard to resist. There's just something about theirr sleek look.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:54 am Very cool Gerber memorabilia, Dale. It's always interesting to learn knife about history from those who made it as well as from those who were closely connected to them. You have some fantastic treasures in your archives for sure.

Q, thank you my friend! ::handshake::
You have a pretty amazing collection yourself!

I like the look of that Straitlaced, I haven't seen one yet myself but will start looking!

The Silver Knight series I believe are my favorite Gerber imports do far. My favorite is one given to me with the ABS handles.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

It seems to me that making Gerber aware of this Gerber history book might be productive. They might be interested and willing to produce some copies for themselves and others. If not, an approach to Fiskars could be worthwhile. There are corporations that hire professional historians to record their history. I suppose it depends on how much corporate pride resides with Gerber/Fiskar.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

orvet wrote: Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:22 pm Q, thank you my friend! ::handshake::
You have a pretty amazing collection yourself!

I like the look of that Straitlaced, I haven't seen one yet myself but will start looking!

The Silver Knight series I believe are my favorite Gerber imports do far. My favorite is one given to me with the ABS handles.
Thanks, Dale. ::handshake::

And speaking of the Silver Knight series...

Of all the ones I've owned over the years, these are the only two that I've kept in my permanent collection. I'm sure you (and others) will recognize the scrimmed ivory with the hairline pin crack that you stabilized. The other one has Black Lip MOP and fancy engraved bolsters. Both are just excellent little knives. I look at/fondle each of them frequently and I've even carried them in my pocket from time to time like a "worry stone" just because I love the size, shape and feel, but neither one is a user (that's what my Kershaws are for!)

P8030040.JPG
P8030045.JPG

~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Beautiful knives Q.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

GERBER KNIVES:
They are no longer a company. Fiskars are here and making a new product for the old Gerber afficinado's. Well made dressy and functional collector type cutlery.
This new company needs to be recognized for this accomplishment. These knives are no longer Gerbers, they are Fiskars.

I have no knowledge of Phil Rodenbergs' status but from conversations and reading his book I think he would agree.
THANKS AND THE FOREGOING IS MY OPINION.
WB
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Mossdancer wrote: Tue Aug 04, 2020 1:53 pm These knives are no longer Gerbers, they are Fiskars.
I respectfully disagree. If the knife says "Gerber" on it, then it's a Gerber regardless of the name of the company that actually manufactured it (much like a Case Classic is still a Case knife even though it was made by Queen and a Northwoods is still a Northwoods even though it may have been made by GEC).

If Fiskars wanted their name on the knives, they would do so just like they have their name on other products that they make.

Just my opinion...YMMV.

EDIT: One caveat being that Fiskars should only continue to use the Gerber name as long as they maintain the same Gerber standards of quality. Sadly that was not the case when Bear & Son took over the Queen trademark and released the POS Mini Trapper with the Queen name on it. ::barf::

~Q~
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

Fiskars, I know produced the Multiplier multitool with their name and not Gerber on it for some weird reason, especially in that it was basically the only thing they had branded with their name. Perhaps they figured it could sell at places were Fiskars gardening tools, and not Gerber knives and tools were sold? And, we see that influence the other way around. I've seen more than a few of the polymer handle hatchets Fiskars sells branded as Gerber.
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Q, Just a lone opinion: I think the Fiskars take over of Gerber resulted in lower quality. But I am only referring to the initial years of the acquisition.
I have no personal knowledge of subsequent quality, or of today's for that matter.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Is Fiskars currently manufacturing "Gerber" patterns in the USA?

~Q~
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Google says most Gerber patterns are now China made but that a few patterns are still made in the U.S.
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

In case anyone happens to be in the market for a new folding hunting knife, I just happen to have three Made in USA Gerber Gators for sale:
two Fine Edge 154CM Drop Points ($50/each, shipped)
one 420HC Clip Point ($40 shipped).

Brand New--Never Used--Includes Ballistic Nylon Sheath (Velcro closure)
Mid-Lock Lockback
4.96" Closed Length--8.54" OAL
Textured Vulcanized Rubber Grip

Excellent knives, rock solid lockup, super sharp, very grippy no-slip grips.
Check 'em out...drop me a PM if interested.
Attachments
154CM Stainless Drop Point
154CM Stainless Drop Point
P8190001.JPG
P8190005.JPG
P8190002.JPG
P8190007.JPG
420HC Stainless Clip Point
420HC Stainless Clip Point
P8190016.JPG
P8190015.JPG
P8190012.JPG

~Q~

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”