1981 Gerber Mark II IS knife

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

1981 Gerber Mark II IS knife

Post by Mossdancer »

Trying to find info. There were 25 of these produced for Gerber internal use(gifts for Executives etc). Fancy whale tooth carved handle, display case. supposedly in display condition. No sheath. I do not have knife just a lead on one. So no photo available. Any ideas as to how much one would be worth. Please feel free to offer anything of use.
Moss
I STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM
XX Case XX

Re: 1981 Gerber Mark II IS knife

Post by XX Case XX »

Man, that's a tough one. I bet you're going to get a kaleidoscope of answers. I personally don't like those types of things simply because determining a fair value is difficult. If it were me, I'd leave it alone, but everyone's different.

You stated you have a lead on one so it sounds as if you're considering making a play for it. If this is true, wait for others to post their feelings on it and compare them with yours. That will give you some idea of what to do next. But remember, if you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Thanks MIke:
Good advice. I did find a photo which is below. Something this neat is just hard to pass up.
moss
Eagle.JPG
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Mossdancer,

Judging from some of the extremely high prices (at least, to me) we've seen on Gerber rarities such as the Pathco sets, Lioness sets, stag Presentations, other Mk 2 specials, etc. I'd expect an Executive knife to realize a couple thousand, and perhaps up from there.

Mark
Mossdancer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mossdancer »

Thanks for the input Mark. Were it built from a Mk II fighting knife instead of the boot or survival knife as it is I would agree with you completely. In this configuration I think considerably less, at least I hope so.
moss

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”