Quick & Easy-- Great LST Mod!

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
hard.times.lures

Quick & Easy-- Great LST Mod!

Post by hard.times.lures »

As some of you know, I have been a Gerber LST fan and user from the 1980s. I have also sold them for 30 years.

I have found a easy mod to turn your LST into a one hand opening knife. I cut a piece of velcro about 1/4" deep and 1" long and stuck it on the top of the blade near the handle. It opens just great---smooth and easy. I used the velcro side with the burrs on it (not the soft side). The kind I used had a self sticking side that attached to the blade. Cost--a few pennies, time--under 30 seconds.

A note about the LST. The ones I use are the older models with a nail nick in the blade. Sometimes I also use the newer 400 models. The newer Gerbers do not have the good steel the older ones had. Also, I have found the newer ones were not as smooth in my opinion.

My camera is broken, so I can't show photos, but I hope the information is helpful.

Blessings, Bryan
hard.times.lures

Re: Quick & Easy-- Great LST Mod!

Post by hard.times.lures »

I meant to say that the newer models following the 400 Gerber were not as good. Bryan
AR Norby

Re: Quick & Easy-- Great LST Mod!

Post by AR Norby »

It's a shame that the LST II is not made anymore.It was a great idea. I have 2 and wish I had bought more.
Attachments
LST2.jpg
Perception is Reality

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”