Gerber snakeskin sheath

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
jtb

Gerber snakeskin sheath

Post by jtb »

This sheath came with a large Gerber lockback. I’m guessing it’s aftermarket, but did Gerber every offer a snake skin sheath?
Attachments
8D74B5BA-EDB1-421A-B00E-10301707C567.jpeg
Checks out my items for sale https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jtb
Doc B

Re: Gerber snakeskin sheath

Post by Doc B »

I don't know...but, that's pretty sweet! ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Heretical Refurb / Mods of cheap old folders, since late 2018
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

I know very little about Gerber's products after the company was purchased by Fiskars, and your post didn't include what model knife was in the sheath, so this reply is sort of a swing in the dark. However, I have never encountered a pre-Fiskars Gerber factory sheath that wasn't marked as such, except the very early A&F hunter and Shorty sheaths. Therefore, I'd bet the snakeskin is not Gerber.
RevolverGuy

Post by RevolverGuy »

I've only seen leather factory ones. They're normally stamped Gerber, Portland, OR. That's a beautiful sheath though. Looks like rattlesnake. Common for craftsmen in the southwestern part of the U.S. to make belts and sheaths like yours.
XX Case XX

Post by XX Case XX »

I doubt very seriously that Gerber would offer a factory knife with that type of sheath. Not saying it's impossible, but highly improbable.

I work hard so my Dog can have a better life...
jtb

Post by jtb »

Sorry, it came with a very nice Gerber Porland Oregon folding hunter style knife. Not being marked, I assumed it wasn't Gerber, but thought I'd double check. Thanks guys.
Checks out my items for sale https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/jtb

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”