Help me verify this knife please

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Help me verify this knife please

Post by dlr110 »

A dealer of all things old and a friend of mine, wants me to help him with this knife. I tried to improve the pic's he sent. This is suppose to be a Gerber Sportsman. I'm not sure about the tang marks. Could someone help verify if these are real. Ignore the Buck sheath.
003.jpg
image0000001.jpg
image0000011.jpg
David R (United States Navy Retired)
Don't just count your many blessings, be the blessing others count on!
Visit my website: Woodburning Art by David https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Gone2Three
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help me verify this knife please

Post by Gone2Three »

dlr110 wrote: Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:33 am A dealer of all things old and a friend of mine, wants me to help him with this knife. I tried to improve the pic's he sent. This is suppose to be a Gerber Sportsman. I'm not sure about the tang marks. Could someone help verify if these are real. Ignore the Buck sheath.
003.jpgimage0000001.jpgimage0000011.jpg
Not an expert by any means but I'd come across an early sportsman like that several months back that was made in Germany, the blocked letters is what caught my eye. Think it's the real deal but like I said...not an expert.
Nice find, I'm sure someone else will come to verify. ::tu::
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Help me verify this knife please

Post by Case V42 »

Yes, it is a legitimate Gerber product. Some early production FSIIs were made in Germany. The knives aren't quite rare, but not common either.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”