Inherited Knife Cleaning/Dating?

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
maypop80

Inherited Knife Cleaning/Dating?

Post by maypop80 »

Hi Folks!

My partner recently discovered this knife amongst his dad's supplies (he passed on a few years ago). We aren't planning to keep it, but am interested in whether or not we should clean the knife before we figure out how we'll part ways with it (the green on the handle, cleaning up the blade). I'm also wondering if anyone can tell us if we can date the knife? The closest we came was for one being sold in the AAPK store that appears to be the same: Gerber Hand Checkered Walnut Folding Hunter (S) Knife - c.1968-1974. The label is torn a bit on the outside of the box, unfortunately.

Thanks!
Attachments
BF4E9A5A-02E2-4832-BA55-D5A42782D874.jpeg
AE125C2F-73E2-4243-A9CA-BFA0EA761075.jpeg
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Inherited Knife Cleaning/Dating?

Post by kennedy knives »

Can you show a close up of the tang Stamp .
Your dates are correct 1968 to 1974 . Nice find ::tu:: . The market on them is very slow . The Japanese drove the market on the Gerber's for a long time. ::handshake::
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

I have seen this model Gerber ("Magnum Hunter" ??) sell on ebay for over $100 with no box. Very collectible knife.
Looks like no real cleaning is needed. General rule is to wipe it down to remove any skin oils on blade or staining on brass if present, and then leave it be. i.e. less is better than vigorous cleaning.
kj
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I agree with Roland, I wouldn't try to clean it at all. Just wipe the blades down and that's it. That's a very desirable knife, especially with the box and paperwork. In that condition they bring $250 or more on Ebay regularly.

Eric
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

maypop80 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:22 pm Hi Folks!

My partner recently discovered this knife amongst his dad's supplies (he passed on a few years ago). We aren't planning to keep it, but am interested in whether or not we should clean the knife before we figure out how we'll part ways with it (the green on the handle, cleaning up the blade). I'm also wondering if anyone can tell us if we can date the knife? The closest we came was for one being sold in the AAPK store that appears to be the same: Gerber Hand Checkered Walnut Folding Hunter (S) Knife - c.1968-1974. The label is torn a bit on the outside of the box, unfortunately.

Thanks!
I believe you've received some very good advise regarding our knife MP80, so I'll simply add ::welcome:: to AAPK! 8)
8)
maypop80

Post by maypop80 »

The tang stamp:
Attachments
IMG_1278.jpeg
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

The "HS" stamp on the blade designates "High Speed" steel, in other words it is NOT stainless. The "HS" blades are less common than stainless. I would recommend gently cleaning and coating the blade with mineral oil. Store the knife out of the leather sheath.

The knife is Gerber's original "Folding Hunter" and is a rather unusual design. The FS series of folders and the "Magnum" were a much different line.

If you look for small print on the lower right hand corner of the unfolded brochure, you might find a print date that will help date your knife.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”