Seeking info on folding knife with slant sword logo; date/model…

In 1939 Joseph Gerber (advertising agency owner) had custom knife maker David Murphy make 24 sets of carving knife for some of his select customers. Catalog retailer Abercrombie & Fitch saw them and was so impressed with the quality of the knives they wanted to sell them. Thus was born Gerber Legendary Blades.
dpauld

Seeking info on folding knife with slant sword logo; date/model…

Post by dpauld »

Picked up this Gerber at a yard sale, having trouble finding another one to compare it with. I haven’t been able to find any with this same logo. Any information would be greatly appreciated!
Attachments
F55B20D4-3619-4A11-A8A5-8093C7589CAE.jpeg
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Seeking info on folding knife with slant sword logo; date/model…

Post by herbva »

If you scroll through this thread on Blade Forums I think you will have your answer. It looks like Gerber used the upright "sword in stone" logo for a period of time and an angled "sword in stone" like yours for a period of time.

https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/ger ... o%20change.
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
dpauld

Post by dpauld »

I’ll check it out - thank you!
Case V42
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Case V42 »

Your Gerber folder is a "Folding Sportsman" (FS-II). Gerber made that model from 1972 until about 1995. The first knives were made in Germany and marked as such. There were also smaller and larger models (FS-I and FS-III). Early blades were chrome plated "Hi-speed tool steel" (mostly L6), later blades were 440C, and a small number used Vascowear steel blades, which Gerber called V-Steel. Vascowear is no longer produced, and Gerber offered it 1982-88 according to Phil Rodenberg's book, although the V-Steel knives aren't common. The V-Steel knives were the only FS-IIs to bear the sword in stone logo.

So, as to date and model:
V-Steel FS-II made 1982-88.

Return to “Gerber Legendary Blades Knife Forum”