Help Navy pilot knife?

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Help Navy pilot knife?

Post by galvanic1882 »

I have what I think is a rare Navy Pilot knife. I have seen them marked Camillus and Colonial. This one is marked Cattaraugus and I’ve never seen another one marked that way, I got the knife in a batch of knives I’m selling for the grandson of the last President of Cattaraugus Cutlery. No brass on the knife I believe the liners are nickel silver. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks Mike
Attachments
5A7ED60A-3A68-4DF8-A6BF-D813212AB661.jpeg
7216D680-180C-4B23-B13A-FA46F6F64B7F.jpeg
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Help Navy pilot knife?

Post by treefarmer »

I can't help you other than to say, that one is a prize!
Like you, the Colonial and Camillus are the ones I've seen and they all had some sort of black handle material.
That is way out of my league, but it would be great to see how that one ends up. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Very interesting knife Mike! I am certainly no expert on these, but I have worked on quite a few of the Colonials and at least one or more of the United WW2 pilot's survival knives, and all of them have had the black composite textured handle scales, and all of them had the maker's stamp in the center of the mark side of the blade. I've never seen one like yours with a Cattaraugus tang stamp or wood scales. So it is likely a rare bird. Just one observation though, from you pictures, to me the blades appear to be in much better condition than the steel bolsters (which look quite normal for the age of this knife). ::tu::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

herbva wrote: Sun Jul 31, 2022 11:01 pm Very interesting knife Mike! I am certainly no expert on these, but I have worked on quite a few of the Colonials and at least one or more of the United WW2 pilot's survival knives, and all of them have had the black composite textured handle scales, and all of them had the maker's stamp in the center of the mark side of the blade. I've never seen one like yours with a Cattaraugus tang stamp or wood scales. So it is likely a rare bird. Just one observation though, from you pictures, to me the blades appear to be in much better condition than the steel bolsters (which look quite normal for the age of this knife). ::tu::
Thanks for the input, the bolsters are that way because they had rust from a knife in the roll that was gassing out. I put oil on them to stop the rust but the result is what you see, the knife is unused.
eveled

Post by eveled »

I’ve never seen one like it either. Very interesting indeed.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Very cool, Mike. Any chance this could have been a "salesman's sample" contract knife that Cattaraugus didn't win?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 12:14 pm Very cool, Mike. Any chance this could have been a "salesman's sample" contract knife that Cattaraugus didn't win?
Ok that is what I am thinking also but wanted to see if there are any more out there. I am selling a collection of knives that were owned by the last President of Cattaraugus and this was in the batch.

Check out the Cattaraugus thread, I'll be listing some pictures there.

Mike

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”