1990 TKCA club knife identification

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
JwJ

1990 TKCA club knife identification

Post by JwJ »

IMG_9196.JPG
Attached are some pics of a 1990 Texas Knife Collectors club knife. I was a member of the now defuncted organization from 1980 till it shut down in the mid 90's. I have each set of club knives from 1980 - 1994 and this is the only one I cannot identify the maker. Anyone have any idea who the maker might be?

Thanks
JwJ
Attachments
IMG_9198.JPG
IMG_9199.JPG
IMG_9200.JPG
robbobus
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 1990 TKCA club knife identification

Post by robbobus »

Judging by the apparent spaceship tang stamp it appears the maker is Rob Davidson of Rocket Knives located in Lubbock TX.
Screenshot_20220904-222734~2.png
JwJ

Post by JwJ »

Thanks, I figured it was a Texas company.
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Any chance you could post a pic of your whole collection. ???? I'm sure many as me would love to see it. And welcome to AAPK, you have set the bar high for your intro. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::handshake::
JwJ

Post by JwJ »

I will try to put one together.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

JwJ wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:47 am I will try to put one together.

That would be awesome, ::welcome:: to AAPK!

John
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
JwJ

Post by JwJ »

Attached is a picture of my complete TKCA club knives from 1980 - 1994 and a few show knives from the 1980 & 81 Fort Worth shows.
Again, thanks for the help in identifying the 1990 knife. You were correct.
Attachments
IMG_9206-A.jpg
JwJ

Post by JwJ »

I posted this picture of the TKCA club knife collection I have from 1980 - 1994 and would like some help putting a value on them for future reference and possibly selling them. There is no one in my family interested in them or the other knives I have. If anyone could give me some help I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

JWJ
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Unless you can find another prior club member that wants them, the value of the knives would be better sold off individually than as a set. I have a full collection of (now defunct) NKCA knives, and learned that as a set they are not that valuable. There just isn't much interest in sets of knives from clubs that are no longer around.

Individually, you can search for similar year/pattern/brands for each of your knives on ebay, and get a pretty good ballpark of what they are worth.
Carl B.
JwJ

Post by JwJ »

Thanks for the info. I found a few of the knives on ebay and they ranged from $30.00 to $340.00.
Where do you think I would have the best look trying to sell them?

JwJ
LittleAugieMo

Post by LittleAugieMo »

Would love to see a full view of the sub- hilt
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rookie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:28 am Unless you can find another prior club member that wants them, the value of the knives would be better sold off individually than as a set. I have a full collection of (now defunct) NKCA knives, and learned that as a set they are not that valuable. There just isn't much interest in sets of knives from clubs that are no longer around.

Individually, you can search for similar year/pattern/brands for each of your knives on ebay, and get a pretty good ballpark of what they are worth.
Why do you think it would be that there is not much interest in sets of knives from now defunct knife clubs. ???
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

cudgee wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:50 pm
Rookie wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:28 am Unless you can find another prior club member that wants them, the value of the knives would be better sold off individually than as a set. I have a full collection of (now defunct) NKCA knives, and learned that as a set they are not that valuable. There just isn't much interest in sets of knives from clubs that are no longer around.

Why do you think it would be that there is not much interest in sets of knives from now defunct knife clubs. ???
I'm not sure what the reason, but it definitely seems to be the case. Walking around knife shows you can find sets of knives from old knife clubs, in nice display cases, going dirt cheap. I guess the value of a club knife is partly due to the other club members desire for the knife, knowing what it represents. The value is not solely in it just being a Case or Kabar knife. But if the club is gone, there are no new members trying to collect the set, or even know the history of that club.

For my NKCA set, I have 25 years worth of knives collected. The club started in 1975, and was the largest knife club ever in the US with over 20,000 members at one time. Some of the most prominent knife collectors and knife makers were directly involved. Usually there was 1 knife per year made, and sold only to members.

Now I can see on ebay all these old NKCA knives for sale, and often they are selling for less than the exact same knife that isn't marked with the club blade etch and special shield.

By comparison, current club knives being made are going up in value, not down. Look at what the AAPK or BladeForum knives are bringing now!
Carl B.

Return to “General Knife Discussion”