Any Train Enthusiasts Out There?

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Any Train Enthusiasts Out There?

Post by Waukonda »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:19 pm Saw this guy leading a coal car consist in the Cumberland Yards this afternoon.
That is a great sighting, John!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

1967redrider wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 10:19 pm Saw this guy leading a coal car consist in the Cumberland Yards this afternoon.
Cool! ::tu::
David
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Thanks, gents. ::handshake::
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Made it trackside yesterday for a bit. Trains were running steady most of the day.
Attachments
KIMG3738~2.JPG
David
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

That is a really great shot, David! I can almost feel the rumble of that beast! ::tu:: ::tu::
Ike
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Waukonda wrote: Mon Sep 12, 2022 10:46 am That is a really great shot, David! I can almost feel the rumble of that beast! ::tu:: ::tu::
Thank you Ike, first time I been out rail fanning since its been so hot this summer. Yesterday was much cooler. It was nice to hear and feel those diesel loco's rumble by. :D
David
TPK

Post by TPK »

QTCut5 wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 7:01 pm You guys really know your trains...I'm impressed. I am not a train enthusiast, but I was fascinated by this video my friend sent me showing two side-by-side films of a rider's view from Germany's "Flying Train" (which we might call a tram?) while passing over a German village; one from 1902 and the other from 2015. I wonder if TPK Tom has ever seen or ridden on this? ::hmm::

More views & interesting info can be seen/found on this link:
https://www.thisiscolossal.com/2020/08/ ... rain-moma/
I have heard of it Q but I have never been there. ::nod::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

I just learned a new word to describe myself......ferroequinologist, sounds pretty impressive, huh?
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

All aboard!!! Next stop, NYC. 🚂🗽

Attachments
IMG_20220918_084419534.jpg
IMG_20220918_083811145.jpg
IMG_20220918_084118078.jpg
IMG_20220918_084146792.jpg

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Running a pantograph, this thing tops out at 117mph.
🚅🗽
Attachments
Screenshot_20220918-113221.png

Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

1967redrider wrote: Sun Sep 18, 2022 12:53 pm
Nice pics, John. Day trip? Weekend trip? Looks like a great time, your beautiful wife always looks so happy!
Really like that last pic, great angle of the platform/train.
Ike
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Extended weekend trip, Ike, thanks!

Here's a pantograph in case you didn't know. That engine was exactly the same as ours. They run under a grid of electrified cabling that looks amazing.
Attachments
IMG_20220918_114333389_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220918_114342751.jpg

TwoFlowersLuggage
Location: Stuck in traffic on a highway in Southern California

Post by TwoFlowersLuggage »

I don't know if I'm breaking the intent of this thread by talking about toy trains instead of real trains, but this is related to John's trip, so I will give it a try. I'm a Lionel 3-rail O-gauge toy train collector. Lionel often got complaints from train enthusiasts because the 3-rail track was not realistic. (although there are exceptions, eg cog railways) However, one of the cool things that Lionel COULD do is have *working* pantographs on their engines. You could build a layout with an overhead catenary system that had a hot wire to run engines like the ones shown below. Unfortunately, neither of these is mine - but maybe someday...
2340a.jpg
cat-C.jpg
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
TPK

Post by TPK »

1967redrider wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:16 am Extended weekend trip, Ike, thanks!

Here's a pantograph in case you didn't know. That engine was exactly the same as ours. They run under a grid of electrified cabling that looks amazing.
Hope you guys have a lot of fun! ::nod:: ::tu:: ::super_happy::

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

TwoFlowersLuggage wrote: Mon Sep 19, 2022 2:51 am I don't know if I'm breaking the intent of this thread by talking about toy trains instead of real trains, but this is related to John's trip, so I will give it a try. I'm a Lionel 3-rail O-gauge toy train collector. Lionel often got complaints from train enthusiasts because the 3-rail track was not realistic. (although there are exceptions, eg cog railways) However, one of the cool things that Lionel COULD do is have *working* pantographs on their engines. You could build a layout with an overhead catenary system that had a hot wire to run engines like the ones shown below. Unfortunately, neither of these is mine - but maybe someday...

2340a.jpg

cat-C.jpg

Cool PRR GG-1 and NH Little Joe. Looks like possibly the nose of an Erie & Lackawanna Trainmaster too.
😎👍

I opened the train thread up to model trains as well. 😉

1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

On board AMTRAK 173 Northeast Corridor heading towards Alexandria. 🚅

Attachments
Screenshot_20220920-164438.png

TwoFlowersLuggage

1967redrider wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 6:57 pm

Cool PRR GG-1 and NH Little Joe. Looks like possibly the nose of an Erie & Lackawanna Trainmaster too.
😎👍

I opened the train thread up to model trains as well. 😉
Hmm, I don't think that Lackawanna is a Trainmaster. I think it might be a GP-7. :wink: The Trainmaster has a flatter nose and the Lionel postwar Trainmaster doesn't have horns on the top, they are on the side near the cab. I do have a Lackawanna FM Trainmaster - my father bought it new in 1954 and we darn near ran the wheels off of it. It is one of Lionel's most powerful postwar locos. I don't have a picture of mine, but here's one that is exactly like it:

https://www.tandem-associates.com/lione ... diesel.htm
"The Luggage had a straightforward way of dealing with things between it and its intended destination: it ignored them." -Terry Pratchett
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Niiiiiiiiiiiice. 😎👍 I don't think I can run a Trainmaster on my O-27 layout, the curves are too sharp. ::mdm::

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Sitting here browsing AAPK when i heard a whistle in the distance. Took this as it went past, not a good photo only from my phone. You may be able to click the photo to enlarge it. 3 Steam loco's and some old carriage's from when train travel was an experience. Hope you can enlarge. ::doh::
IMG_20220924_075326.jpg
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

I did some screenshots, rotated and enlarged, cudgee. Very cool and happy you managed to get what you did. Most often when I'm trying to get spur-of-the-moment shots I end up with nothing.
Attachments
Screenshot_20220923-182525.png
IMG_20220924_075326~2.jpg

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

1967redrider wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 10:30 pm I did some screenshots, rotated and enlarged, cudgee. Very cool and happy you managed to get what you did. Most often when I'm trying to get spur-of-the-moment shots I end up with nothing.
I'll see if i can catch it on the way back. Here is a photo from the VR historical society website about todays tour. 3 K class which were the mainstay of our steam locomotives. ::tu::
EHI956895-e5cb17d4a05c4365b5c1fe5c461afa71.jpeg
Waukonda
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Waukonda »

Good stuff, Cudgee!
Ike
TPK

Post by TPK »

Cool pictures Leon! ::nod:: Although I'll have to admit that they put me in a state of shock :shock: for a moment. ::nod:: :lol: I always pictured you (in my mind's eye) on a nice farm somewhere in the middle of nowhere surrounded with brown outback dirt, a barn, wooden fence, maybe some horses or cattle, traktor, Crocodile Dundee hat & a few kangaroos hoping around in the near distance. Guess I was a bit off. ::doh:: ::facepalm:: Hollywood! ::dang:: :lol:

cudgee

Post by cudgee »

TPK wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:11 am Cool pictures Leon! ::nod:: Although I'll have to admit that they put me in a state of shock :shock: for a moment. ::nod:: :lol: I always pictured you (in my mind's eye) on a nice farm somewhere in the middle of nowhere surrounded with brown outback dirt, a barn, wooden fence, maybe some horses or cattle, traktor, Crocodile Dundee hat & a few kangaroos hoping around in the near distance. Guess I was a bit off. ::doh:: ::facepalm:: Hollywood! ::dang:: :lol:
Wish i was, but alas no. :lol: :lol: :lol: ::tu::
TwoFlowersLuggage

I'm trying to talk my wife into taking a trip to ride the Grand Canyon Railway: https://www.thetrain.com/ Has anyone done this? Her first response was that the train would be "full of train nerds like you." ::tu::

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”