Union knifeworks N.Y.C. Is this real? Info plz

A place to discuss & share pictures of counterfeit knives. Please be sure to alert the AAPK community if you spot one. Also make sure to ask questions if you are not certain about the authenticity of a knife you are considering buying or selling. There are plenty of great people here willing to help.
Donotbend

Union knifeworks N.Y.C. Is this real? Info plz

Post by Donotbend »

I’ve looked around and can’t find one that looks like this . Is this a fake ? Newer knife ? The tang is the same as some old ones I’ve seen . I’ve.spent the last few hours trying to figure this knife out. Let me know what ya know ..thx guys
Attachments
0490448A-F111-4B6F-AFFB-0117A3B54FAE.jpeg
0B9A6F4B-FBDC-4921-9440-FA451F1945D5.jpeg
C28E1CDC-0B46-4ADB-94DF-159DCC6C1F35.jpeg
13717B6B-A53D-471A-B2B7-95A7BCCA0171.jpeg
D919DA46-5AF8-4FCD-95DC-40BCC87A92FB.jpeg
45A30EB2-A816-478D-9C76-BE35A4B7733A.jpeg
18F4CB0B-7ADD-49E8-89FB-71613D0891CA.jpeg
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Union knifeworks N.Y.C. Is this real? Info plz

Post by peanut740 »

Modern knife.
Roger
Donotbend

Post by Donotbend »

Thank you peanut .. why is it that I can’t find any like it ? And do you know a round about value ? Thx
herbva
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by herbva »

Union Knife Works operated in Union NY from 1911 to 1913. Unfortunately this is not one of theirs, and the blades appear to me to be heavily sanded or brushed stainless steel. Perhaps from China or Pakistan? ::teary_eyes::
"Better to do something imperfectly, than to do nothing flawlessly." ~ Robert H. Schuller

Herb
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Modern fat Sambar stag. Cold stamped. As Roger said, it’s a modern knife. Made closer to last week than to 1913. ::facepalm::

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

To me the stag looks more like that used in USA than on knives from China or Pakistan. Maybe made by Kabar as a special release ? Schrade USA made some stag knives in 1990's with "Walden Knife Co." markings so perhaps Kabar followed suit ?
kj
npeters3

Post by npeters3 »

I would not think that a China or Pakistan made knife would have a new grind blade on it. It is my understanding that this process is more expensive to shape the blade with a new grind, but I will say that I do not spend much time at all studying China or Pakistan knives.
"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are." -John Wooden
knifegnome
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifegnome »

I agree with Mumbleypeg ,tang is cold stamped.
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

I was just doing research on mine and here is a nice photo of the original stamps.
Attachments
F260F8AB-BF48-4C95-A267-10AED43F8ED9.jpeg
4EC1DB8C-B603-4DE2-9ABA-9F9854E2EA57.jpeg
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

Sorry to say but I don’t think it’s an original Union knife either , doesn’t look like Union bone , stamp looks cold struck and the nail nick looks modern , spun center pins ?

Mike
Always looking for Mint pre war scout knives
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

In addition to what Mike said, the tangs have been “shaved” to remove the original stamps and apply the cold stamps.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Whitney! The 2 comments immediately following your post may have been directed at the original post and knife by "Donotbend", and not your knife. Perhaps request clarification from the posters? ::shrug:: 8)
8)
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

My apologies to all…..Obviously, this stupid Covid .thing has gotten me all confused. Looking at the postings, you are more than likely right Marco. ::uc:: ::facepalm:: ::facepalm::
You have to be trusted by the people that lie to you. So that when they turn their backs on you, You'll get the chance to put the knife in….
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Don't sweat it my friend, you're not at 100%! Maybe ScoutKnives or Mumbleypeg will chime in and clarify which knife they were referring to. I like the last knife you posted too, even though you deleted the text! 8)
8)
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:15 am Don't sweat it my friend, you're not at 100%! Maybe ScoutKnives or Mumbleypeg will chime in and clarify which knife they were referring to. I like the last knife you posted too, even though you deleted the text! 8)
That’s the same knife. I just took a complete photo of the blades so you could see the finger nick’s and the scales.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 pm I was just doing research on mine and here is a nice photo of the original stamps.
Great looking knife my friend! ::nod:: ::tu:: :D
So this brand was KA-BAR before they became known as KA-BAR? ::hmm:: Is that correct? So does that date this knife 1911-1913? ::shrug:: If so that's very cool! 8) Great find! ::nod:: ::tu::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

TPK wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:44 am
Whitneyrifle wrote: Thu Sep 22, 2022 10:27 pm I was just doing research on mine and here is a nice photo of the original stamps.
So this brand was KA-BAR before they became known as KA-BAR? ::hmm:: Is that correct? So does that date this knife 1911-1913? ::shrug:: If so that's very cool! 8) Great find! ::nod:: ::tu::
No, this is not the same company, but I can see the confusion. Union Knife works was (if I remember correctly) a venture done by Platts.
Union Cutlery Company was descended from Union Razor Co. Ka-bar was just one of Union Cut CO’s product lines until the company changed its name to “Ka-bar”, I believe in 1952. Gunsil could give you the exact year of the change over, he is the guru.
TPK

Post by TPK »

Whitneyrifle wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:37 am
TPK wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:44 am
No, this is not the same company, but I can see the confusion. Union Knife works was (if I remember correctly) a venture done by Platts.
Union Cutlery Company was descended from Union Razor Co. Ka-bar was just one of Union Cut CO’s product lines until the company changed its name to “Ka-bar”, I believe in 1952. Gunsil could give you the exact year of the change over, he is the guru.
Oh ok, glad I asked, thanks for clearing that up for me. ::handshake:: Appreciate it! ::tu:: :D
Have a great weekend! ::nod:: ::super_happy::
TOM - KGFG - (Knife-Guy-From-Germany)

I believe..., every knife is a soul, looking for a soulmate. :wink:

Weebit-Nano https://www.weebit-nano.com/
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weebit_Nano

US - ARMY - COMBAT - ENGINEERS - 1990 - 1993 - God Bless Our Troops!
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Madmarco wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:15 am Don't sweat it my friend, you're not at 100%! Maybe ScoutKnives or Mumbleypeg will chime in and clarify which knife they were referring to. I like the last knife you posted too, even though you deleted the text! 8)
To clarify, my post was with regard to the second knife posted in this thread. With all due respect to the gentleman you obtained it from, the preponderance of evidence is that the knife does not date to 1911-13. As pointed out it appears to have spun pins, which did not come about until several years later. The stamp is not crisp and sharp as it should be on a knife of that vintage (looks mushy). Last but not least the tangs show evidence of having been “shaved”. Rather than trying to re-do a tutorial on tell-tale signs of identifying a shaved tang, here’s a link to a tutorial I recently did on that subject. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... d#p1030041. The subject knife appears to exhibit the same upswept curve of the shoulder grind line as it nears the blade spine.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

Mumbleypeg wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:22 pm
To clarify, my post was with regard to the second knife posted in this thread. With all due respect to the gentleman you obtained it from, the preponderance of evidence is that the knife does not date to 1911-13. As pointed out it appears to have spun pins, which did not come about until several years later. The stamp is not crisp and sharp as it should be on a knife of that vintage (looks mushy). Last but not least the tangs show evidence of having been “shaved”. Rather than trying to re-do a tutorial on tell-tale signs of identifying a shaved tang, here’s a link to a tutorial I recently did on that subject. https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... d#p1030041. The subject knife appears to exhibit the same upswept curve of the shoulder grind line as it nears the blade spine.

Ken
I do appreciate and respect your honest and candid opinion. I will say, that I respectfully disagree, but I wish to table that matter and ask a question to educate myself and possibly others.
Still being a neophyte in this hobby (I have collected civil war firearms for decades), I want to post two pictures and ask if you could clarify for me somethings.
First, there is a picture of the first knife and what I believe to be a “mushy” spot. I have circled it in blue, am I correct? I want to know for my own education. I provided a close up of the one I have and I can not see a “mushy” area, could you show me where? Again, for my own education.
Second question is, and I ask, not knowing, how do you know if a pin is spun if the shaft/shank is inside the scale? Again, I ask to learn. I had seen your previous posting, but as I said, I am trying to learn.
Thirdly, how can you tell if the tang is “shaved”, especially on an older knife, such as the one I have shown? I know it has had heavy usage, could it be from wear and tear/sharpening, or is there something more distinctive?
I know this post sounds defensive and adversarial, but it is not. It is about learning and educating.
I do appreciate any further input you can provide.
Attachments
8529D23C-C853-4A49-93C9-4543D123D683.jpeg
94175D2F-AFC3-4BFC-80D8-9A5F73E02180.jpeg
D96CAA5C-AE9A-4F08-B011-9B4908E65CCF.jpeg
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

My comment was also towards the newly posted knife .
It has way to many red flags to think it was made in the teens .
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

ScoutKnives wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm My comment was also towards the newly posted knife .
I thank you for your opinion, I again respectfully disagree, but table the knife issue.
I posted questions above that I hope some one may answer. I seek knowledge, not to create controversy.
May, I ask, what are the red flags? With an explanation as such?
knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

ScoutKnives wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:31 pm My comment was also towards the newly posted knife .

To me the stockman looks like a piece of KUTlery that was made by a MASTER.
ScoutKnives

Post by ScoutKnives »

No problem , I don’t consider myself as an expert but I have handled a lot of vintage knives in the last 30+ years in this hobby .
The long pull nail nick looks cold struck , the tang stamp looks cold struck , the bone definitely doesn’t look period , the center pin is spun which wouldn’t be from that era .
Whitneyrifle

Post by Whitneyrifle »

knifeaholic wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:52 pm

To me the stockman looks like a piece of KUTlery that was made by a MASTER.
That is a fair assessment, I can see the resemblance. I still question if my neighbor was being genuine. He has no reason to be dishonest. He told me he remember his grandfather having the knife. He said that his grandfather worked for both Platts and Union Knife works. Obviously, this is oral history, but the question then leads to how/why? We’re counterfeits done that long ago?
I would still like answers to the questions I posted for the sake of increasing knowledge. I still will keep and treasure the knife. Just finding resolution.

Return to “Counterfeit Watch”