Kershaw Blur danger

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
sarichardson723

Kershaw Blur danger

Post by sarichardson723 »

I purchased a Kershaw Blur some time back. The knife was well made and I loved the design. However, I noticed that over time I could close the knife with the linerlock engaged. Unfortunately for me I continued to use the knife but was carefull with it due to the linerlock. One day not so long ago while using the knife the blade closed on my index finger, while the linerlock was engaged, cutting it to the bone and severing a tendon. I do not tote a dull knife. I actually just had surgary on my finger to repair the tendon. I just thought I would let yall know so you can avoid this and learn from my costly mistake. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that a co-worker of mine had the very same knife and the same thing happened to him. This leads me to believe that it is a design issue and not just one particular knife.
Owd Wullie

Re: Kershaw Blur danger

Post by Owd Wullie »

OUCH!.

I had a TL-29 do that to me in 1972. It missed the tendon, but the mark it left is still very plain 37 years later.

Heal up quick.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

I have never put a lot of confidence in the linerlock design. I have seen several that would let the blade close when it should not have closed. I'm much more partial to a lockback or the arc lock system used by SOG. Both appear to me to be much stronger locking systems and thus much safer than the linerlock.

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
rmfnla

Post by rmfnla »

I agree with Phil; liner locks are nice but I generally treat them like a regular slip joint.

Even a robust lockback can fail, I've seen broken engagement hooks, and even holding the knife a certain way will unlock it at the wrong time.

Sorry to hear about your finger; I'm sure almost everyone here has at least one good scar to show (and learn from!). I know I do.
Today, I believe my jurisdiction ends here...
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

If I were you, I would contact Kershaw about this.
They should be made aware of any potential design flaws so thay can correct the problem.
Their phone number is: 1-800-325-2891

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
useem

Post by useem »

I agree, KERSHAW should hear about this. might save some grief further down the road.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”