what would you like to see from GEC?

GEC specializes in highly collectable and premium quality usable pocket knives. The company's USA manufactured knives have quickly proven to be a big hit with both collectors and users who seek quality American craftsmanship.
robpa

what would you like to see from GEC?

Post by robpa »

what are some things you would like to see GEC do to whet your interest? re: handle material, frame style, blade styles, shields. whatever.
I know they are seeing the end to their stag but plastics leave me mostly uninterested. I am partial to carved stag bone. would like a Dolphin or Moki Kronos style . maybe a trout/bird knife with lines akin to the Moki. Im just having trouble really "getting into" many GEC knives? They are kind of hard to collect to begin with unless you just dont care what you pay. Retail prices are fair enuff but the after market is somewhat nuts. Probably running down to their store this week and I am not afraid to make wishes known, whether he is reeptive or not. its his biz and he is the decider!
MadeinUSA

Re: what would you like to see from GEC?

Post by MadeinUSA »

A lock-back version of this… so I would carry it

I’m not much on carrying slip-joints and I have the scars to prove it :(
C6B03439-F1A8-4831-88B6-0991A3B231EF.jpeg
Sharpnshinyknives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Sharpnshinyknives »

I would love to see a Sowbelly. Especially a Cuttin Horse version.
I would also like to see some in Amboyna wood on some of their knives. And I am all for amber carved stag bone, ACSB. One of my favorite handle materials.
SSk Mark “Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.” Ronald Reagan
robpa

Post by robpa »

Oh yeh, sowbellies really trip my trigger! I have about 10, the most of any pattern. I do like the GEC Bayou trappers. Im making a list.
saltwaterebel

Post by saltwaterebel »

First and foremost: The blade snap on GECs have slowly become "collector queen" wimpy. Bring back the snap of a working knife. While nail busters are not fun, a weak snap is worse in my opinion. Get less cute, example, Urban Jack and the new can opener Barlow. Somehow figure out a more equitable distribution method. I see more than one distributor holding back knives for the inflated after-market Ebay prices, which i think is despicable. GEC is becoming Beanie babies all over again.
Grove 68

Post by Grove 68 »

I'd like to see fixed blade daggers and bowies, Lots of jigged black bone.
dsutton24

Post by dsutton24 »

When I think if GEC I picture a big clunky thing with dark wood scales and a nail buster backspring called something like the Hipster Beer Groomer. When they do turn out a Stockman or a Whittler like as not it's going to be an equal end or cigar pattern. I'd like to see more elegant knives with jigged scales and simple, appropriately sized shields.

Their business model drives me nuts. Why not do a few all day, every day knives that are available any time someone wants to buy one without having to play the silly games that are the rule now? It wasn't always an expensive scavenger hunt to buy a GEC knife.
Rotten

Post by Rotten »

I would love to see a run of 81 stockman clip/sheepsfoot/spey or clip/sheepsfoot/punch.

Also a run of railsplitters like Bill made for Queen and S&M would be nice.

The return of Brimstone bone (think Queens Amber Carved Stag Bone).

I definitely appreciate the thinner blades on the recent 81 muskrat and 35 cattle knife and hope that trend continues where appropriate.

One dream that may never come true would be the return of shielded stag.

And enough with the freaking bottle openers.
Trace
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

Rotten wrote: Sun Mar 19, 2023 4:35 am I would love to see a run of 81 stockman clip/sheepsfoot/spey or clip/sheepsfoot/punch.

Also a run of railsplitters like Bill made for Queen and S&M would be nice.

The return of Brimstone bone (think Queens Amber Carved Stag Bone).

I definitely appreciate the thinner blades on the recent 81 muskrat and 35 cattle knife and hope that trend continues where appropriate.

One dream that may never come true would be the return of shielded stag.

And enough with the freaking bottle openers.
Good to see you posting. And yes, there are a lot easier and cheaper ways to get a bottle opener. ::nod::
Buckibbq
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Buckibbq »

I could get on board with Mark and Trace to wish for a three blade stockman of some sort. The 88 or 81 frame would work. What I’d really like to see would be to resurrect the 76 frame and put three blades on it and call it the “Rustler”. It would lend itself to some cool tube art and a western folklore story of sorts. Model 761323. Big clip, Spey and sheepfoot blade. Make at least one version in antique yellow pick bone. Make some Tidioutes with a punch version. Maybe a Northfield run in stag and bring back the UNXLD shield with it?
I’m a long time collector in search of rare and limited GEC AND Northwoods knives. Always looking to add ivory pieces to my collection. PM to discuss sales or trades, please!
dundak

Post by dundak »

saltwaterebel wrote: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:31 pm First and foremost: The blade snap on GECs have slowly become "collector queen" wimpy. Bring back the snap of a working knife. While nail busters are not fun, a weak snap is worse in my opinion. Get less cute, example, Urban Jack and the new can opener Barlow. Somehow figure out a more equitable distribution method. I see more than one distributor holding back knives for the inflated after-market Ebay prices, which i think is despicable. GEC is becoming Beanie babies all over again.
Agree. They started out with large working patterns, aka Remington, and have devolved into Queen novelty knives with nice covers.
Reverand
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Reverand »

To be honest I do not own a GEC knife. Yet.
But my knife preferences are Medium-to-Large Stockman and Whittler patterns. Sowbelly Stockman knives are especially beautiful.
And bone handles. Smooth, jigged, and a variety of colors, though something along the lines of Amber Stagged bone is usually an eye-catcher for me.
Jesus is life.
Everything else is just a hobby.

~Reverand
robpa

Post by robpa »

I havent been able to get down yet but am gonna take the ideas here for presentation. I think they might read this AAPK thread every now and then?

Return to “Great Eastern Cutlery (GEC) Collector's Forum”