RRR knives

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in China.
Dan In MI

Re: RRR knives

Post by Dan In MI »

Madmarco wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 1:37 am Autos, push-daggers, any spring assisted folder, concealed knives like combs and pens, bear spray, mace, nunchucks, throwing stars, and on and on and on....are all prohibited items up here in the Great White North.
So what are you supposed to do if you're out in the wilderness and a bear attacks you? Throw rocks at it? Probably goes without saying that pepper spray intended for use on humans is prohibited, too. Last I heard, self-defense was not a valid reason for carrying a knife in Canada.

The Schrades I purchased from Roland were and are perfectly legal in Canada: slip joints with nail nicks, most under three inches closed.

Canadian knife laws are getting to be just as bad as those in the UK...maybe even worse.
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

You can legally purchase bear-spray up here, Dan, but I believe you'd need to show some sort of licence that you're going bear hunting. I've never been a hunter so I really am not sure of the facts concerning things like bear-spray. The ban is due to the odd kid stealing his Dad's tin of b/s and running around squirting people with it, about the same amount of times there is a knife crime committed. And yes, mace for use on humans is also not allowed.
As far as I know, it's always been illegal to carry a knife for self defence in Canada, not just the last you heard my friend.
I'm certain the knives coming from Roland would have been all legal, since he was fully aware of the import/export knife laws and wouldn't have risked hurting his business trying to export illegal knives. Slip-joints with nail-nicks and any length blade or any locking system are legal for import/export, all others you will have problems with.
I believe Canadian knife laws are the worst anywhere, the UK included, and have been for quite some time now. ::facepalm::
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

I’ll refrain from another rant but you can see how government restrictions and people’s loss of freedom and rights can lead to one.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Saw this one yesterday at SMKW.
Kinda reminds me of a Eureka jack.
Attachments
rrr024_web-15.jpg
rrr024_web-17.jpg
Tim
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Beavertail wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:46 pm Saw this one yesterday at SMKW.
Interesting pattern. Eureka Jack. Maybe a Wharncliff Barlow ? Not sure what exactly but it’s a nice looking knife.
"The Edge...There is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over.
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

They call it a "humpback jack."

https://www.smkw.com/rough-ryder-reserv ... pback-jack

It's also available with a Damascus blade (for an additional $25). Though I wouldn't say it's a Barlow, I like it
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 12:55 pm
Interesting pattern. Eureka Jack. Maybe a Wharncliff Barlow ? Not sure what exactly but it’s a nice looking knife.
It is a nice looking knife, and i suspect well made with good fit and finish..
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

I like that RR, Tim!
Really cool knife for sure!
If you bought one, please show us!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

OSCAR wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:32 am I’ll refrain from another rant but you can see how government restrictions and people’s loss of freedom and rights can lead to one.
Absolutely, definitely, for sure! ::tu::
8)
8)
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 1:21 am I like that RR, Tim!
8)
I'm undecided on this one Marco.
$65 plus tax and shipping is a lot for a Rough Ryder. ::shrug::
Tim
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Beavertail wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:12 am
8)
Beavertail, There’s a big difference in Rough Rider and Rough Rider Reserve.
Much more hands on work, way better fit and finish and D-2 blade not the Rough Rider 440A. It’s a night and day difference. You really need to see them side by side. Absolutely no comparison.
They are however a bit wider than most. Built like a tank.
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

OSCAR wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 11:49 am
8)
Beavertail, There’s a big difference in Rough Rider and Rough Rider Reserve.
Much more hands on work, way better fit and finish and D-2 blade not the Rough Rider 440A. It’s a night and day difference. You really need to see them side by side. Absolutely no comparison.
They are however a bit wider than most. Built like a tank.
I have about fifteen of the Rough Ryder Reserve knives and probably sixty Rough Ryder regular production knives.
There's definitely a difference but for me I just can't justify paying double or sometimes triple the price of their regular production knives.
Tim
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Beavertail wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 4:22 pm
I have about fifteen of the Rough Ryder Reserve knives and probably sixty Rough Ryder regular production knives.
There's definitely a difference but for me I just can't justify paying double or sometimes triple the price of their regular production knives.
Amen brother.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

8)
Yah, I hear ya man.
I was taken aback when I saw that price also.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be over at Rough Rider corporate have realized, companies and individuals are asking and getting these high prices for their products, and they want their piece of the pie.
It seems they've stepped-up their quality control, and as a result feel their products command the same prices as some of the bigger companies.
I like their knives, but eventually their pricing will knock me out of the game, so I'm trying to get what I want now before it all explodes.
This knife is right on the border as to how much I'm willing to pay, time will tell!
8)
8)
Beavertail

Post by Beavertail »

Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:01 pm
8)
Yah, I hear ya man.
I have a sneaking suspicion that the powers that be over at Rough Rider corporate have realized, companies and individuals are asking and getting these high prices for their products, and they want their piece of the pie.
It seems they've stepped-up their quality control, and as a result feel their products command the same prices as some of the bigger companies.
I like their knives, but eventually their pricing will knock me out of the game, so I'm trying to get what I want now before it all explodes.
This knife is right on the border as to how much I'm willing to pay, time will tell!
8)
Very well said! ::handshake::
Since inflation has gone through the roof, I'm now very conservative on my knife purchases.
I can buy enough food to last me two weeks for what that knife costs. I would rather have a stocked pantry than another knife in my roll. I think I've just decided.
Tim
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Ha, ha, ha! ::rotflol::
Me too, Tim!
8)
8)
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Thank y’all for convincing me to pass on th RRR Sabaac. I love the knife pattern and the quality but you are absolutely right about the cost. I can live without it and won’t lose any sleep over not getting it. The first RRR I bought when they first came out was about $35.
Even the knives made by slave labor in China are becoming ridiculous in price.
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

I spotted that one too, since I made 90 Bucks profit by selling a bicycle today...lol...I will just go ahead and order that one!!!
I actually swore to myself NOT to buy any RRR's anymore....because this Micarta is getting boring,,,,need to see bone or stag, and yes I will pay more for such knives!!! But here I am....finger already on the buy it now button....lol...
Good Lord, why me....I have a friend he collects sugar cubes and one of my other friends is obsessed with empty cereal boxes...why me knives...LOL!!!???
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

8)
its actually a Rough Ryder RESERVE...these are equal in fit and finish, and in my personal opinion 90% equal to the steel used by Great Eastern Cutlery....which cost about 2-3 times more originally, if you lucky to get one....about 6 weeks later on ebay then 300% mark up,,,,not sure....but I guess I go RRR!!
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Beavertail wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:38 pm
Madmarco wrote: Thu Mar 16, 2023 7:01 pm
Yah, I hear ya man.
8)
Very well said! ::handshake::
Since inflation has gone through the roof, I'm now very conservative on my knife purchases.
I can buy enough food to last me two weeks for what that knife costs. I would rather have a stocked pantry than another knife in my roll. I think I've just decided.
LOL, $65 in groceries for 2 weeks???

I just had my son home from College spring brake...I think he ate $65 every three days worth of groceries....lol...so I am about 3-4 knives behind now!!! LOL
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

Alien883 wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:30 am
I spotted that one too, since I made 90 Bucks profit by selling a bicycle today...lol...I will just go ahead and order that one!!!
I actually swore to myself NOT to buy any RRR's anymore....because this Micarta is getting boring,,,,need to see bone or stag, and yes I will pay more for such knives!!! But here I am....finger already on the buy it now button....lol...
Good Lord, why me....I have a friend he collects sugar cubes and one of my other friends is obsessed with empty cereal boxes...why me knives...LOL!!!???
I’ve been thinking about starting up a sugar cube collection but I thought I was the only one.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
Alien883

Post by Alien883 »

Railsplitter wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:44 am
I’ve been thinking about starting up a sugar cube collection but I thought I was the only one.

lol...nope!
OSCAR

Post by OSCAR »

Let’s face it. We collect things that we like. They make us feel good. There is absolutely NO valid reason to collect anything. I’ve collected knives for nearly 50 years. I have about five that are “working tools” that I rotate. The rest are in knife rolls, Every time I say to myself that I’m not going to buy anymore, I usually find one that I have to have ! We need to start up a knife collectors anonymous group. I’m trying my hardest to have the willpower to quit. Trying to take “Just this one more “ out of my vocabulary !!!!
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

My goodness, you're the lucky one dude! I can't even imagine ::hmm:: what kind of mind would want empty cereal boxes or sugar cubes (except Rick/Railsplitter) as somethin to collect, next step is off to the city dump for some really valuable stuff I suppose! ::facepalm::
Some people's children, I'm tellin' ya!
8)
8)
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

OSCAR wrote: Sat Mar 18, 2023 5:02 am Let’s face it. We collect things that we like. They make us feel good. There is absolutely NO valid reason to collect anything. I’ve collected knives for nearly 50 years. I have about five that are “working tools” that I rotate. The rest are in knife rolls, Every time I say to myself that I’m not going to buy anymore, I usually find one that I have to have ! We need to start up a knife collectors anonymous group. I’m trying my hardest to have the willpower to quit. Trying to take “Just this one more “ out of my vocabulary !!!!
"Knifer's Anonymous", has a kindda ring to it, no? lol!
8)
8)

Return to “Chinese-made knives”