SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

The first Robeson knives were imported by Millard Robeson from England and Germany exclusively. This continued from 1979 until 1896 when Robeson began manufacturing knives in the United States. Since inception, the company has gone through several reorganizations & eventually ended up as a Queen Cutlery brand.
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: SHOW YOUR NEW (TO YOU) ROBESON

Post by btrwtr »

Dan In MI wrote: Wed May 03, 2023 4:04 am Great find, Wayne! ::tu:: What might the hook be for?
The hook is a button hook or more properly a glove hook for fastening buttons on gloves and garments. The hook would be placed through an eyelet to hook and pull the button through the eye. Hooks like this on knives can generally date the knife to 1920 or earlier as these hooks were no longer needed as buttons of this type had largely gone out of style by 1920.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Dan In MI

Post by Dan In MI »

Thanks for that information. It's always nice to learn something new; that's one of the reasons I enjoy this hobby! ::handshake::
USN 2000-2006
Adaptable and (usually) affable knife enthusiast, unsure of his knife collecting destination but enjoying the journey
Case taste, Rough Ryder budget
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

That’s a very nice knife, Wayne.

It looks very familiar.

There was some talk some time back, maybe on this forum, maybe the other, re’ the identity of the man that did that kind of file work on knives for multiple companies, mainly Camillus.

Cannot recall his name.

I have never owned such a Robeson, but I have downloaded photos of some from the internet.

It’s amazing what the creation of a bit of organized shadow can produce.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Fri May 05, 2023 11:18 pm That’s a very nice knife, Wayne.

It looks very familiar.

There was some talk some time back, maybe on this forum, maybe the other, re’ the identity if the man that did that kind of file work on knives for multiple companies, mainly Camillus.

Cannot recall his name.

I have never owned such a Robeson, but I have downloaded photos of some from the internet.

It’s amazing what the creation of a bit of organized shadow can produce.
Thanks much Charlie. If you can I'd love to see any pictures you might have of similar work. I've done a fair amount of file work but nothing that compares to the work on this knife.

Wayne

Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

btrwtr wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:34 pm Here is one you don't see everyday. Robeson 752742 pearl with 3 worked backsprings. All stamped except the long file blade. 3 1/4" closed.
Thanks for showing that, never seen one like that with the three springs filed to match. Looks very cool. Sweet old knife. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
BWT

Post by BWT »

btrwtr wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:34 pm Here is one you don't see everyday. Robeson 752742 pearl with 3 worked backsprings. All stamped except the long file blade. 3 1/4" closed.
That’s quite a knife Wayne ::tu:: ::tu:: Really great find! Thanks for sharing it.
Bill
RobesonsRme.com

I think Mike Losicco owns a similar Robeson.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
RobesonsRme.com

I'm going to check my photo archive and see what I have that might fit this thread re' file worked backsprings.

Looks like the first two are the same pattern, but I do not think they are the same knife.

They are probably the same style of filework on Wayne's posted knife.

These are all Robeson knives.
Attachments
Robesonback66.jpg
Robesonback66.jpg (15.44 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Robeson 006.jpg
Robeson%20ShurEdge%20Pearl%204bl-7.jpg
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

RobesonsRme.com wrote: Thu May 11, 2023 1:42 am I'm going to check my photo archive and see what I have that might fit this thread re' file worked backsprings.

Looks like the first two are the same pattern, but I do not think they are the same knife.

They are probably the same style of filework on Wayne's posted knife.

These are all Robeson knives.
Thanks for posting the pictures Charlie. Special knives for sure.

Wayne

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Not knowing much about Robeson, I am guessing that this is from the fifties... I have not checked the tang-stamp chart yet... ::hmm::
Attachments
DSCF2679.JPG
DSCF2684.JPG
DSCF2683.JPG
DSCF2685.JPG
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

They say, “Hard work never hurt anyone”, but I'm still not willing to risk it.
Ridgegrass

Post by Ridgegrass »

Dog, That "French Ivory" celluloid looks older that the 50's. No Robeson charts here. ?? Good luck. O'.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Ridgegrass wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 12:20 am Dog, That "French Ivory" celluloid looks older that the 50's. No Robeson charts here. ?? Good luck. O'.
I scrolled through a Robeson chart here quickly, but I did not have the knife with me, so I plan to check latter tonight.
Please visit my AAPK store: https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/ca ... er_id=2383

GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

looks like it might be: ROBESON / SHUREDGE ( block) / U.S.A. 1940 - 1964 ... ::hmm::

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:22 am looks like it might be: ROBESON / SHUREDGE ( block) / U.S.A. 1940 - 1964 ... ::hmm::
What a nice knife and nice stamp. ::tu:: ::nod::

Here are a couple of same knife.
From what I get from Tom Kalcevic's book "Knives Can Talk!" this is 1940-1964 as GSPTOPDOG states.
No underline on SHUREDGE.
This pattern is a great little carry when sharp.
Attachments
435E5A67-D4BE-4CF5-9051-A41FA01251C3.jpeg
919D8D32-DE09-4C1A-83B7-44C2B2E2D34F.jpeg
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

Beautiful shots of some killer knives FRJ. Looks like E. tusk to me. Really sweet examples of the era. Nice show. ::tu:: ::tu::
"It's what people know about themselves inside that makes them afraid." -No Name, High Plains Drifter
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thank you Ivoryman, it's all celluloid or some such thing. ::tu::
Joe
Ivoryman

Post by Ivoryman »

FRJ wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 1:18 pm Thank you Ivoryman, it's all celluloid or some such thing. ::tu::
Well that's the first celluloid I've ever seen with the uneven, zigging and zagging grain lines. That's usually a tell-tale sign of ivory. I have seen lots of celluloid with straight lines, but your knife on the top/left side has the wavy lines just like the ivory I carve. Amazing how someone finally got the wavy lines going and copied the ivory accurately. Never seen such a good fake. Interesting. Fabulous pair.
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

FRJ wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:00 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 2:22 am looks like it might be: ROBESON / SHUREDGE ( block) / U.S.A. 1940 - 1964 ... ::hmm::
What a nice knife and nice stamp. ::tu:: ::nod::

From what I get from Tom Kalcevic's book "Knives Can Talk!" this is 1940-1964 as GSPTOPDOG states.
Nice pictures! ::tu:: ::tu:: Those look to be in excellent shape! This knife is great size for "fifth pocket carry" or "5-PC" :wink:

FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Ivoryman wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 4:06 pm Amazing how someone finally got the wavy lines going and copied the ivory accurately. Never seen such a good fake. Interesting. Fabulous pair.
Thank you, Ivoryman.
Well, that's Robeson for ya'. ::nod::
Actually, I don't know how they obtained their celluloid but it's just like them to go the extra mile. :)
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:46 pm Nice pictures! ::tu:: ::tu:: Those look to be in excellent shape! This knife is great size for "fifth pocket carry" or "5-PC" :wink:
Thank you, GSPTOPDOG, I have from time to time carried in the 5th pocket and this time it didn't cross my mind but now that you mention it I will carry it that way for the rest of the time I carry it. Thanks for the nudge. ::tu::
Joe
RobesonsRme.com

That little pattern is very attractive.

Ii have owned an ivoroid handled one, as well as bone with a PocketEze shield.

You will see them referred to as Wharnecliff, but I think that’s a stretch.

No idea from whom Robeson obtained their patterned celluloid.
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Sidlow Baxter
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

FRJ wrote: Tue Jun 06, 2023 4:00 pm
I am still very happy EDCing this knife, nice and light, sharp with great walk and talk.
Attachments
DSCF2697.JPG
DSCF2684.JPG

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 am I am still very happy EDCing this knife, nice and light, sharp with great walk and talk.
Very nice TopDog. I picked these up a few months ago. The black handle one back in February I think, and the Red Bone late last year. Robeson ShurEdge Tang Stamp and pattern stamp 512224 Daddy Barlows. They are worn, but both still have great snap with no blade wobble.
pair of robeson 512224_a.jpg
pair of robeson 512224_b.jpg
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty
GSPTOPDOG
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by GSPTOPDOG »

Papa Bones wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:01 pm
GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:32 am I am still very happy EDCing this knife, nice and light, sharp with great walk and talk.
Very nice TopDog. I picked these up a few months ago. The black handle one back in February I think, and the Red Bone late last year. Robeson ShurEdge Tang Stamp and pattern stamp 512224 Daddy Barlows. They are worn, but both still have great snap with no blade wobble.

pair of robeson 512224_a.jpg
pair of robeson 512224_b.jpg
Sweet P.B. ::tu:: ::tu:: They are looking like they have plenty of life left in them ::nod:: That Red Bone has me looking forward to clicking on your post again for another look ::oh_my::

Papa Bones
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Papa Bones »

GSPTOPDOG wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 10:08 pm
Sweet P.B. ::tu:: ::tu:: They are looking like they have plenty of life left in them ::nod:: That Red Bone has me looking forward to clicking on your post again for another look ::oh_my::
Thanks Top Dog. Yep, just something about those red bones, perks my coffee for sure.
Sometimes I Sit and Think ::hmm:: .... Other times I just Sit
I May Grow Older, But I refuse to Grow Up!!
I'll sharpen it for you, but I don't give out band-aids!!

Smitty

Return to “Robeson Cutlery Company Collector's Forum”