A strange knife for sure.

Schrade Cutlery Company was founded in 1904 by George Schrade, and his brothers Jacob and William Schrade. In 1946 Imperial Knife Associated Companies, (IKAC; an association of Ulster Knife Co and Imperial Knife Co) purchased controlling interest in Schrade Cut Co and changed the name to Schrade Walden Cutlery. In 1973 the name was changed to Schrade Cutlery. In 2004 Schrade closed due to bankruptcy.

This forum is dedicated to the knives that are the legacy of this company. This forum is not the place to discuss the replica knives currently being imported using the Schrade name.
Capemike

A strange knife for sure.

Post by Capemike »

In my father's old collection of Ulster Knife, Schrade Walden, and Schrade knives, (my grandfather, my father, and I all worked there), was a knife marked Hibbard Spencer Bartlett & Co. I've researched Hibbard and know their history, and looked through page after page of their knives, but can't match this one up to anything. I'm aware that Schrade would make knives for other companies, but can't find this under Schrade either. The pics will self describe it, and yes, one side is a celluloid amber color, while the other is more the bone yellow color.
Does anyone know anything about this knife?
Attachments
20230517_191815.jpg
20230517_191803.jpg
20230517_185039.jpg
tongueriver

Re: A strange knife for sure.

Post by tongueriver »

I might be able to look it up; can you give the closed length to the nearest 1/16 of an inch? One side cover has gone rogue.
Capemike

Post by Capemike »

It looks like 2 13/16 closed.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I will call it a Schrade CutCo 2724, Marine pearl peanut with spear blade.
cutco 2724001.jpg
Capemike

Post by Capemike »

It doesn't have any shield, and the blade is more of a med length pen style. The body has a slight flow to it similar to a trapper style.
If you can't find it, no one can! LOL.

I've got two more I'm list finding online. I've been searching for over two hours, and not even close. I know one is pre 1947, the other is only listed on Worthpoint, and I'm not paying to see what it sold for.
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That "medium pen blade" you describe is the slender spear blade; the catalog cut which I enclosed is correct. The absence of the shield is irrelevant. Read the variations in that catalog cut. The exact variation is not listed but it is the same knife as the spear/bone variation but with celluloid.
Capemike

Post by Capemike »

Ok, I'll go back and check it out.
I didn't think you would send bad info, I've been told you know your stuff.
Thanks

BTW
I don't have it infront of me, but I've got this piece that is probably the oldest one I've ever seen.
It's a tie clip knife and sizzor combo. But the sizzors are long and covered by a metal sheath. Oh he'll, let me take a pic of it. I can't make out the letters on the front, I'll have to play with that later. The sizzors are broken, and I can't find markings on the tang.
Ever seen one like this before?
Attachments
20230517_223957.jpg
20230517_223946.jpg
20230517_223820.jpg
20230517_223806.jpg
20230517_223739.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

The OP knife is a dog leg peanut type pattern and not the standard serpentine peanut shape as shown in the catalog cut. Ulster Knife company could be the maker.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Oh, see; the serpentine curve is opposite. Thanks!
ea42

Post by ea42 »

I do believe the original OP knife posted was a pre 1940 Ulster made knife. Not sure what the celluloid model number was but the bone Ulster version was 2763. Here's a catalog pic from the 1920s or 30s. The knife is the second down on the right.

20230518_105912.jpg

By the way the reason your handles are different colors is due to the celluloid on the pile side outgassing. That process usually turns the celluloid a brittle mottled brown. You might want to have those covers replaced as the process will eventually destroy the knife. Don't keep it near other knives as it will affect the steel on those as well.

Eric
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

ea42 wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 3:09 pm By the way the reason your handles are different colors is due to the celluloid on the pile side outgassing. That process usually turns the celluloid a brittle mottled brown. You might want to have those covers replaces as the process will eventually destroy the knife. Don't keep it near other knives as it will affect the steel on those as well. Eric
Yep, I had called it "going rogue."
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Cal, sorry buddy. I missed that one ::dang::

Eric
Capemike

Post by Capemike »

Thanks guys.
Being pre 1940 Ulster Knife would make sence, as my grandfather worked at Ulster then. My father was born in 38, and he started as soon as he was of age. When I was a kid, eventhough we went to Schrade in Ellenville where he worked, for the longest time he would call it Ulster Knife. I'm not sure if he ever worked in Walden, but I'm sure his father did.
As for the off gassing of the celluloid, I don't plan on keeping any, I just want to get rid of all 60+ that I have now. When he passed, I put them in a box and just forgot about them. But my time is coming as I've got two cancers, and I dont want the other half to have to clean up my stuff. I'm making a detailed list, or should say I'm finishing the list I started two years ago.
Another that I have, actually two, is a tie clip knife that's a Craftsman hologram. Can't find it anywhere!
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Sorry to hear about your health problems Mike. My wife has been battling cancer for two and a half years now but they seem to have gotten a handle on it with new targeted treatment.
I'll put you on my prayer list.

Eric or Cal will probably know the correct year, but as I recall before the move to Ellenville, Schrade Walden and Ulster were made in the same Factory, both companies owned by Albert Baer.
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
ea42

Post by ea42 »

Mike the Schrade Walden plant in Ellenville was originally the old Ulster plant so that's probably why he called it that. Lots of history in those buildings!!

Eric
1fartsmella
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by 1fartsmella »

At 2 7/8" closed, the OP knife is what I call a Reverse Peanut. Some call this a Dog Leg or Serpentine Jack. Here's a pair of New York Knife Co. knives.
The top knife is a Peanut, the bottom knife is a reverse peanut. As you can see the handle is the same shape for both knives, but the blades open from opposite sides. It's difficult to determine who made the OP knife for HSB but New York Knife Co did make many knives for HSB back then.
Attachments
BOTH NUTS.c800x529.jpg
Peanut.jpg
REV PEANUT.c800x452.jpg
Barry
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Capemike wrote: Thu May 18, 2023 2:44 am Ok, I'll go back and check it out.
I didn't think you would send bad info, I've been told you know your stuff.
Thanks

BTW
I don't have it infront of me, but I've got this piece that is probably the oldest one I've ever seen.
It's a tie clip knife and sizzor combo. But the sizzors are long and covered by a metal sheath. Oh he'll, let me take a pic of it. I can't make out the letters on the front, I'll have to play with that later. The sizzors are broken, and I can't find markings on the tang.
Ever seen one like this before?
I thought this one looked familiar: I have one that is intact w/ivory handles. Yours has had one of the handles removed. The,''tie clip '' is actually the leaf spring to operate the scissors. Mine is stamped, '' JOSEPH RODGERS CUTLERS TO HER MAJESTY No.6 NORFOLK ST. '' Here are a couple pics.
Attachments
IMG_0046.edit1.jpg
IMG_0047.edit1.jpg
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Schrade Legacy Forum”