12 cm tang stamped Hubertus

If you like Automatic knives, this is the forum to discuss and display them.
millern

12 cm tang stamped Hubertus

Post by millern »

I recently bought a non-functioning, simulated stag, tang-stamped Hubertus slim off of eBay.
After I received the well-used knife, it had a number of issues that needed to be addressed, besides the missing spring.
After disassembly, I was able to make and install a working spring (staked in place). With the help of a master welder, and after some hand file and Dremel work, I was able to address significant blade “peek”.
Thanks to information, I found here and elsewhere, I ended up with a nice old carry knife that also “shows” well! (I chose not to attempt to address the fact that the blade is not centered in the frame since operation is near perfect and the blade is tight.)
As I mentioned, the knife has simulated stag scales, perhaps celluloid. Liners are steel and the blade is “rostfrei”-(stainless).
Does anyone have any info on this Hubertus model with faux stag scales?
Thanks!
Attachments
IMG_2883.jpeg
IMG_2884.jpeg
IMG_2885.jpeg
IMG_2886.jpeg
C-WADE7
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: 12 cm tang stamped Hubertus

Post by C-WADE7 »

Nice knife and great job fixing it. Did you take any pics of the process?
millern

Post by millern »

Thanks for the compliment!
But, I’m sorry, C-wade7. I took no photos of my progress on this one. The results were full of starts, stops, “do-overs” and repeats of the same! I guess I was a bit anxious to see if I could get a satisfactory knife out of my efforts at all!
I’ll be glad to answer specific questions, but I did nothing that hasn’t been described in detail before.
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Nice fix, Mill.
I can't tell you much about your knife, but I included a picture of my "Slim" with Rosewood covers for comparison.
It does seem unlikely to me that Hubertus would use faux stag and not the real-deal, but who knows. ::shrug::
My understanding is that lever locks with a fixed rivet installed in the metal strip running down the front of the knife like yours has are originals, and models with a screw in the strip are clones.
I am also under the impression that legitimate knives have brass liners whereas clones have steel liners.
Could you please post a close-up picture of the stamp on the tang?
I wouldn't be too concerned about centering, IMO it's over-rated, but that's me.
Regardless of the knife's validity it's a great fix-up you did, and now you have a solid knife to carry.
8)
WIN_20230509_20_40_25_Pro.jpg
WIN_20230509_20_39_44_Pro.jpg
8)
millern

Post by millern »

Thanks for your response, madmarco, and the photos of your Hubertus slim. I’m posting the close up of the tang stamp.
I’m aware that Hubertus made a “springer” model with steel liners and faux stag scales as I read on AAPK posts. That one was called a “Handwerkermesser”, which is roughly translated to mean “working man’s knife “.
Attachments
IMG_2890.png
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

Thank you, Mill, for your response and pictures.
I wasn't aware Hubertus made a knife with steel liners and faux stag covers, first time I've heard "Working man's knife".
Learned somethin' new today!
8)
8)
QGofLake

Post by QGofLake »

That is a nice knife! Also, nice work on restoring it.
XBMX
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by XBMX »

I've had a number of early examples Tang Stamped with faux Stag. Just sold this 10cm. Personally I think it was just to offer a lower priced version.
faux 5.jpeg
millern

Post by millern »

Thanks, XBMS. I believe you are correct about the cost cutting effort by Hubertus. I’ve also read that the faux stag might be celluloid. Did your faux stag models also have the “rostfrei”blade and steel liners?
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

I don't believe the handles are celluloid but rather some type of plastic. Liners are nickel silver. Here is one that is 14 CM closed. Fires hard and locks up positive.
Attachments
IMG_6315.JPG
IMG_6316.JPG
IMG_6317.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
Madmarco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Madmarco »

That's a "Grail" knife for me, Wayne, a model that has eluded me thus far.
I've tried a couple of times ordering one from Hubertus, but with their change in management it isn't happening.
I'm surprised the liners are NS, they're usually brass, and I was positive the covers were genuine stag, it REALLY surprises me to hear plastic/celluloid. ::hmm::
You have a very nice knife there, congratulations! ::handshake::
8)
8)
millern

Post by millern »

Very nice 14 cm slim! Interestingly, the liners on my 12 cm slim are definitely steel.
(I had the knife completely apart to address the flaws I described. I was surprised.)
Thanks for sharing your photos, btrwtr!
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

millern wrote: Tue May 23, 2023 12:32 am Very nice 14 cm slim! Interestingly, the liners on my 12 cm slim are definitely steel.
(I had the knife completely apart to address the flaws I described. I was surprised.)
Thanks for sharing your photos, btrwtr!
My mistake on the liners of my knife. The liners are steel as well.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr

Return to “Switchblade Knife Collector`s Forum”