Questions about Schrade Folding Hunters

This forum is for those who like to repair and restore knives, and for those who would like to learn.
Fisher Cat

Questions about Schrade Folding Hunters

Post by Fisher Cat »

I am currently rebuilding a beat up Schrade Walden 225H. I have decided to replace the blades with a couple of Schrade 25 OT blades I bought on an auction site. I have already ground the new blades from .125" thick to about .0875" (thickness of the originals) and reprofiled the primary grinds. The original pivot pin was only 3/32" diameter and the new blades both have .130" diameter holes in them. I plan to redrill the pivot holes in the bolster & liners to .128" and make a pin that diameter out of nickel silver pin stock. When I peen it, can I expect the .002 larger holes in the blades to get filled by the expanded pin? Does the .002" difference not matter at all? The next drill size up is .136" and I have no interest in drilling the blades out.

Also, the lanyard hole was filled with lead or something and the tube was destroyed when I took the knife apart. The lanyard holes measure .181" diameter. I have 3/16" (.1875") nickel pin stock and a small lathe. How are these tubes installed on the knives? Should I drill the center liner to 3/16" and have the tube butt up against the inside of the outer liners, or run the tube through everything and try to peen it to the bolsters with a tapered punch?

I really appreciate the expertise on this site and welcome any advice you can provide. I realize I have a tendency to get too technical at times and have very little experience with pinning up knives. At the same time, I don't want my efforts so far to be wasted. Thanks a lot! - John
Attachments
225H.jpg
ea42

Re: Questions about Schrade Folding Hunters

Post by ea42 »

John that .002 shouldn't make any difference at all, in fact it's actually ideal as you want the blade hole a bit bigger for just that reason. You don't want the pin to swell in the blade hole or else it will bind up. I always make my blade holes several thousandths larger than the pin. You want the bolster hole to be nearly identical to the pin though. That way the swelling is minimized once the pin swells in the bolster. I might be wrong but I'm 99.9% certain they didn't put a lanyard tube in those knives. They just had identical holes through butt caps, liners, and springs.

Eric
BIGHEAD

Post by BIGHEAD »

I take knives apart and put em back together daily. I never get too technical with .002 or what ever. If it fits it fits. I have to turn down pins all the time but only measure by it fitting The hole I am trying to fill I never break out the calipers and measure.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I concur with Eric, I've never seen a 225H with a lanyard tube.

Also, if I might suggest, taper the pivot pin holes in the bolsters so that the pin head will swell and lock the pin into place. This will keep the pin from traveling from side to side, or even coming out. It doesn't take a lot, just a few degrees of taper helps to lock in the pin when you peen it
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I redid this very similar one a few years back for my brother in law. This one did have a lanyard hole, but no tube. I got new blades from Dale and it turned out great.

https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kn ... chrade+225
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
Fisher Cat

Post by Fisher Cat »

Thank you all for the responses! Now I know how to proceed. I'll try to taper the outer pivot holes with a center drill or chamfer cutter. I'm glad to hear there should be no lanyard hole tube. I really didn't want to fool with that while putting the rest of it together.

Nice work Olde Cutler! Mine definitely won't be as nice as yours, because I epoxied black, paper micarta scales on it. That's what I had on hand and this is a low-budget, learning project. I'm thinking about jigging or milling grooves in them so there will be SOMETHING unique about it, but I'm not to that point yet. I got this in a box of "project" knives from Roland P. , so I hope to do it justice. - Take care - John

Return to “Knife Repair and Restoration”