2024 Duck Decoy Give Away

Enter our knife drawings here.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

2024 Duck Decoy Give Away

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

It is time again for the now 6th annual Decoy Give Away. The decoy this year will be awarded on April 29, which is also National Zipper Day (???????). This year the prize will be one of my hand carved whistling swan decoys, which has been given a special "crackled" finish. All the winner needs to do is clear out some space in their man cave or she shed for this fine bird to have a place to roost. The decoy itself measures 14" long and 10 and 1/2" high. This is considered 2/5 scale or about 40% of life size.
IMG_5224.JPG
IMG_5225.JPG
IMG_5228.JPG
IMG_5229.JPG
This year again, this give away is a further perk to the AAPK users who have Premium Memberships, ALL ENTRANTS MUST BE AAPK PREMIUM MEMBERS. If your membership has lapsed, or you have been sitting on the fence over buying one, you will have until the drawing entry deadline to reup your membership and for Bryan to have received your payment. You will have until April 29, (6:00 P.M. Eastern) to pick a number. After this time, any entries submitted will be disregarded, as will entrants who are not current paid up AAPK Premium Members. The winner will be determined by the Illinois State Lottery evening pick three drawing on April 29. The Individual closest to the selected number without going over will win. The Illinois lottery results can be found on the following website:

https://www.illinoislottery.com/dbg/results/pick3

This will be run like the monthly knife giveaway. Click here to get your number:
numberselector.php?giveaway=688

You must be 18 years of age or older to play. Previous winners are not eligible (yes that means you rea1eye, Knife Nut, Snapper, ken 98k, and Coinfolio). The winner will be sent a PM after the drawing and will have 5 days to respond with your name and shipping address, if you do not respond within the allotted time the decoy will be given to the next closest winner on the list without going over.

Thanks Bryan for your help in setting this up.
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: 2024 Duck Decoy Give Away

Post by doglegg »

OC, that has got to be your best one yet. My, you are talented. Thank you for the chance to win.
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Your talents amaze me!
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Thanks guys. Due to procrastinating, poor planning, and incompetent bungling I did not meet my usual date of April 7, but we will get it done in April.
bestgear
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by bestgear »

OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:35 pmThe decoy itself measures 14" long and 10 and 1/2" high. This is considered 2/5 scale or about 40% of life size.
mighty fine of you OC to keep this annual tradition alive! So if she is 40% of an adult whistling swan, these creatures are not small at 35” long and 26” tall.

I had to Google them: whistling swan, (Cygnus columbianus), species of North American swan that calls with a soft musical note. It has a black bill, usually with a small yellow spot near the eye. It breeds in the Arctic tundra and winters in shallow fresh or salt water, especially along eastern and western U.S. coasts.

Thank you for the opportunity to own a piece of your art, you are truly talented. I’m in!
Tom
AAPK Administrator

Scout Knife Collection On Sale @ www.allaboutpocketknives.com/bestgear
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God.
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

bestgear wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:51 pm
OLDE CUTLER wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:35 pmThe decoy itself measures 14" long and 10 and 1/2" high. This is considered 2/5 scale or about 40% of life size.
mighty fine of you OC to keep this annual tradition alive! So if she is 40% of an adult whistling swan, these creatures are not small at 35” long and 26” tall.

I had to Google them: whistling swan, (Cygnus columbianus), species of North American swan that calls with a soft musical note. It has a black bill, usually with a small yellow spot near the eye. It breeds in the Arctic tundra and winters in shallow fresh or salt water, especially along eastern and western U.S. coasts.

Thank you for the opportunity to own a piece of your art, you are truly talented. I’m in!
I use Anthony Hillman patterns for my wood body decoys. This one is from his book " Carving Classic Swan and Goose Decoys". He attributes this pattern to an unknown carver from the Chesapeake Bay.
ThatWeirdKnifeGuy
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by ThatWeirdKnifeGuy »

I'm in. I've not ever been much of an ornithologist, but my oldest is really into birds, so I feel like I'm also about to pick up a new hobby. This will make a great mascot!

Good show for doing this my good sir. Your talents are immense, but your generosity unmatched ::tu::
::nod:: https://newlifeknives.etsy.com ::nod::

That's my Etsy store where I sell old knives and sometimes handmade knife accessories to support my knife habbit. Thanks for looking my friend. ::tu::
KLJ77
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by KLJ77 »

OC, that is one beautiful and exquisite piece of art. You are a MASTER! Thank you once again for your tremendous generosity in sharing another masterpiece giveaway. ::handshake:: Good luck to all who enter.

I will not pick a number though, for I am not into duck hunting or ducks. And I would feel horrible if I entered and won and took an opportunity away from someone who would cherish a piece such as this much more than I could ever provide or give it the honor it deserves.
LJ

"The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are now outnumbered by those that vote for a living."
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

KLJ77 wrote: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:13 pm OC, that is one beautiful and exquisite piece of art. You are a MASTER! Thank you once again for your tremendous generosity in sharing another masterpiece giveaway. ::handshake:: Good luck to all who enter.

I will not pick a number though, for I am not into duck hunting or ducks. And I would feel horrible if I entered and won and took an opportunity away from someone who would cherish a piece such as this much more than I could ever provide or give it the honor it deserves.
Duck hunting license not required. This is strictly an ornamental swan. I think if you won it and had it in hand you would think differently.
Knife Nut
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Knife Nut »

Having won in the past, I can vouch for the quality of the work. Re-up or join as a premium member for a chance on this beauty. ::tu::

Paul
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

That is a thing of beauty! Wow! Thank you for the opportunity.
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

I shipped and I have confirmation that the winner has received the whistling swan carving. Hope to see a picture in his man cave soon.
To cover the missing posts, the winner was Colonel26 who picked number 616. Winning number drawn was 619.
doglegg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by doglegg »

Congrats Wade!
Kolvir

Post by Kolvir »

Every single year I miss this giveaway. After the POS I kinda take a break. Maybe if I make a reminder.
Paladin
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier
Location: Near Austin, Texas, between a Rock and a Weird Place

Post by Paladin »

Way to go, Colonel!!

Ray
Paladin

God Bless the USA
Please visit my store SWEETWATER KNIVES
"Buy more ammo" - Johnnie Fain