Miller Bros Navy Gravity Knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of military related knives and tools. Conversation relating to objects of war and peace from all eras welcome.
kennedy knives
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Miller Bros Navy Gravity Knife

Post by kennedy knives »

RalphAlsip wrote: Fri May 24, 2024 1:38 pm
beatsthestockmarket wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 10:50 pm
RalphAlsip wrote: Thu May 23, 2024 5:10 pm
Fantastic examples! I have seen these before with the lanyard "ring" attached to the end of the knife. The top example is the first I can recall seeing with the bail/shackle put through the scale and liner. Do you have any insight into why the top example has the "through the scale and liner" bail? Also looks like the blade release/lock mechanism might also be a bit different.
Thank You for the Kind Words Ralph

My understanding is that the bottom knife, with the ring and smaller release lever is the model #1 of the Miller Bros Gravity Knife Series.
The ring proved to be not up to the task, in many cases.

The top knife is the model #2 (slightly improved model) the bail is more substantial, than the ring was.
And the blade release lever has also been improved.

Here is the only example of the Miller Bros Folding Rope Knife that I have.
I have tried to come up with another having the bail, however never accomplished it.
And this folding version just brings up more questions. Regarding "ring", "bail", and "hole drilled for lanyard".
Maybe someone can enlighten us.
Thank you for the explanation. I didn't realize 2 versions were made, but it makes sense that the ring would be easy to bend or break and damage the knife when it happened. I have added added a v2 to my need to find list. :)

Here is my v1 gravity knife.
Outstanding !!!
beatsthestockmarket

Post by beatsthestockmarket »

Thank You!
ken98k
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by ken98k »

During what era or years were those made and issued?
I am the NRA.
Let's go Brandon!
RalphAlsip

Post by RalphAlsip »

ken98k wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 2:10 am During what era or years were those made and issued?
I believe these date from around 1900. Some of the Miller Bros Navy knives have an etch that says "Remember The Maine" which was the ship that was sunk in 1898 that started the US involvement in the Spanish American War.

Return to “Military Related Knives And Tools”