First Cup Diner!

If you can think of something to talk about that is not related to knives, discuss it here.
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Re: First Cup Diner!

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It's raining and cool this morning. Nothing planned for today. Jason and Melody might be getting home late today or sometime tomorrow. Yesterday I headed up to an antique shop I has seen a really nice machinist chest in and it was priced pretty high so I passed on it, but decided I would buy it if it was still there. It wasn't so now I'm kicking myself a little. I sure didn't need another one, but it was really nice. I haven't purchased a knife in some time and haven't even been looking. It's hard to keep my interest up without my knife club meeting and the local knife guys are all gone. At least the diner is still open. I hope you all have a great Tuesday.____Dave
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

djknife13 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 1:10 pm Good morning. It's raining and cool this morning. Nothing planned for today. Jason and Melody might be getting home late today or sometime tomorrow. Yesterday I headed up to an antique shop I has seen a really nice machinist chest in and it was priced pretty high so I passed on it, but decided I would buy it if it was still there. It wasn't so now I'm kicking myself a little. I sure didn't need another one, but it was really nice. I haven't purchased a knife in some time and haven't even been looking. It's hard to keep my interest up without my knife club meeting and the local knife guys are all gone. At least the diner is still open. I hope you all have a great Tuesday.____Dave
Sad to hear about all your knife buddies and knife club. But it is a sad reality of life, things change. The only time i catch up with a lot of the people i used to hang out with is at funerals now. :( :( :(
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

cudgee wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:22 pm The only time i catch up with a lot of the people i used to hang out with is at funerals now.
You got that right cudgee. I was talking to a friend this past Sunday and it seems we are attending a lot more
funerals than weddings.
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
cudgee

Post by cudgee »

dlr110 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 8:02 pm
cudgee wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 7:22 pm The only time i catch up with a lot of the people i used to hang out with is at funerals now.
You got that right cudgee. I was talking to a friend this past Sunday and it seems we are attending a lot more
funerals than weddings.
Sad but true may friend, sad but true. ::handshake::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. Coffee's on. The kids got home last night. I'm not sure if Jason will want to work today or rest up for a day. I'll let him make the call. I could start tearing out a shower tub at the bathroom remodel we were working on two weeks ago getting it ready for rebuilding it with ceramic tile. Nothing else planned for the day. Have a good one.____Dave
dlr110
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by dlr110 »

Good Morning Everyone!
Well like I said yesterday on my video call the doctor is sending me into town for some blood work
and a chest xray. After that I'm meeting someone at the church about a cleaning contract. That's
it for me, have a great day and be safe... :D
David L Roberts, United States Navy Retired
Please visit my website: Woodburning Art by David at

https://www.wdbydavid.com/
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

royal0014 wrote: Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:15 am Mornin' Y'all

Got a good bit done yestiddy ... weedeat the hill by the road (first time this season), rode for 1.5 hours and cut the rest of the grass, then plugged a flat tire on the old Yukon. Whew ! Still wasn't everything I needed to do.

Have an appoint. at the dealer for the car's 15k service this morning, then back home to do laundry and
start packing bags for the impending vacation .... Have I mentioned that I hate packing and the logistics of travel ?
::doh::

Yawl be safe
Chris, hope you and your wife have a great vacation!!
JP
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Fellers.
No rainstorms in this part of Florida, 68 heading back into the 90s but not so further down the peninsula. The local news made mention of a foot of rain in one of the towns on the Gulf side, Ft. Myers I believe it was. The mess goes all across the state and on out into the Atlantic. The non-irrigated corn sure looked bad yesterday as we drove home from Panama City. :( Got a good report from the heart doctor to proceed with the knee operation in August and the shoulder shot was just routine.
Time to mow the yards around the house, again. Need to change the blades again before I start. We have two sets of blades and most times have one set sharpened and ready to go. It's amazing how quickly a mower will dull!
Coffee is about to be served. I may sneak off after dinner and get a haircut in the heat of the day. Bible study this evening at 6:30.
Hope everyone has a good, safe day. ::nod::
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
TripleF
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by TripleF »

RAIN is the word for the day......allegedly.
We need it though...badly.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)
https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/triplef
Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
bighomer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, chilly 55 at daybreak 82 predicted. The good Lord has blessed us with some beautiful weather the last few days mild temperatures and low humidity. We have enjoyed it and got a lot of yard work done. There always seems that much more that needs doing.
Critters are fed, wampus hasn't showed up yet.
We're going to meet my niece for lunch, so I don't know if I'll get much yard done, this ole body needs a break anyway
Let's get another cuppa joe and worry with it awhile.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be careful out there. ::handshake::
DM11
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by DM11 »

Mornin friends. Hope y'all have a good day.
David
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Bro. Dave and others to stop by.
Slept in a bit this morning, it's 71 and sunny, only got to 90 yesterday. That rain down in the lower end of the state has been interesting to watch! Our oldest daughter and her family from Georgia went to Venice last Saturday for a vacation and they've "enjoyed" a lot of the rain. Venice is halfway between Sarasota and Ft. Meyers. Sent some pretty pictures of the angry clouds and the Gulf.
Workday is a bit lop sided again, it's Miss Joy's helpers birthday. She's a bit younger than us. We'll be cooking a special birthday dinner for her today and several folks are coming to help celebrate her special day. Fried venison ham, baked sweet potatoes, biscuits and a big pitcher of sweet tea for sure and there will be some green vegetable too.
Got my haircut yesterday and bought a 5-gallon bucket of tractor hydraulic fluid and was surprised at the price! ::woot:: A few years back I could have gotten 3 buckets for what I had to pay! Hair cuts used to be 50 cents, then a buck and then....... ::disgust:: I need to quit shopping, it ain't like it used to be, a nice 35-pound locally grown watermelon cost 12 bucks! Enough blabbing, y'all forgive me.
Coffee has been poured. Y'all have a blessed day.
Treefarmer

djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It's supposed to be nice today. Yesterday evening we were down by the chicken barn burning some brush and watched storm clouds coming in. When we got up to the house and tried to watch TV, all we got was storm warnings, then both of our cell phones started howling and warned us that a tornado was zeroing in on us. It was raining pretty hard with none of the large hail they said was likely. A few minutes before the tornado was supposed to come knocking at our door, the warning was canceled. It sure is nice and calm this morning. I'm off to work. Have a good Thursday.____Dave
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Good morning diners. Happy Friday eve! 61 overnight, near 90 this afternoon. Had a nice woods walk with my youngest yesterday. Nothing much on today's agenda, maybe a little retail therapy. I haven't bought a knife since last Friday. Coffee is done, time to do something, even if it is wrong.
Enjoy your day and make someone smile.
An uncontrolled accumulator. ::shrug::
Bill
bighomer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 64/89 sez the guessers. Plenty of sunshine. Muggy meter is heading up also, lots heat heading our way for the weekend. We've sure had some beautiful weather for the passed several days, the boss and I got a lot of work done even with our many ole folks
Breaks.
Critters are fed wampus was back, the big black oil sunflower seed feeders all needed replenishment , as well as the woodpecker cakes and suet hangers.
Grass will be dried out and ready to cut here in a bit.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be careful out there, remember hydrate, hydrate, hydrate. ::handshake::
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin' from the dry end of Florida, the diner is open for business.
70 this morning, got to 92 yesterday, the corn fields are hurtin' and the hay farmers are smiling!
Got an 8 0'clock eye doctor appointment this morning, been several years since we went had an eye exam.
Had a nice workday yesterday and celebrated our friend's birthday with a good dinner complete with a birthday cake that said "Happy Birthday/What's her name". They had a lot of fun with that! ::nod::
Found the deer feeder was empty and the small patch of Iron&Clay peas almost totally gone, disappointing but that is why they were planted. Had it rained a bit more maybe the pea plants could have survived the grazing. ::shrug::
Coffee is ready, y'all enjoy the day!
Treefarmer

bighomer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by bighomer »

Morning folks, 70/low 90's afternoon is predicted. Muggy ugly.
Critters are fed and the dishes warshed and put away, wampus had his his hongery on.
Got the grass cut yestiddy may piddle around this afternoon and get some roundup down and weedeat a couple of spots. Maybe not.
Buddies day at Hooters.
Hope yawl have a good'un and be careful out there and don't forget to keep hydrated. ::handshake::
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. I got the shower unit all torn out yesterday and today we need to pick up a floor pan with instructions on how to install it. Things keep changing and we don't do many of these. Our weather is back to warm and sunny after the storms went away. I might check out an auction tomorrow in the area but I don't expect much. Have a great Friday.____Dave
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Good morning diners already here and all who follow. 68 overnight 87 predicted. No rain for the next several days. Happy Friday
Bill
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

Mornin' Y'all

As usual I'm up entirely to darn early .... so the lights are on and the pot is singin'

Vacation began yesterday, we're packed up and ready to roll out this am. Not looking forward to the 8.5 hour drive.
We have to make a side trip in Albany, GA also. Our friend Wanda, who talked the wife into this cruise thing, is working on opening her own consignment shop. So of course we have to stop to see her new adventure!

Yawl have a grand weekend, and as always, Stay Safe !!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
QTCut5
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by QTCut5 »

Thought you regulars to the Diner might appreciate this... :)
Attachments
coffeehell.jpg
~Q~
edgy46

Post by edgy46 »

Good morning diners. Chris, Enjoy your vacation.
Q, great picture. Headed out for a woods walk with my youngest, coffee mug in hand. Weather is perfect, 61@ 6:00 Going up to 90.
Bill
Ripster
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Ripster »

QTCut5 wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2024 10:07 am Thought you regulars to the Diner might appreciate this... :)
Very well said !
Thanks Q . ::handshake::
JP
djknife13
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by djknife13 »

Good morning. It should be a decent day here. I'm heading out to check out a farm auction. I have low expectations for this one so it might not take long. If they have one decent knife, I'll probably be gone all day. It's been near forever since I bought one. Have a great weekend.____Dave
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

Good Mornin', Crew.
68 in Washington County and dry! We got to 92 yesterday and today the forecast is higher like it is in lots of areas across the nation. The outdoor unit for our thermometer is 6' off the ground, under the eve of the smoke house and in the shade of surrounding trees and at this time of the year is fully protected from sunlight. That should yield fairly accurate outdoor readings. Since our large Live oak was removed the afternoon sun really makes the heat pump struggle in the house! :) A reading from the front porch would be shocking as will the electric bills for the whole summer.
Made it to the eye doctor yesterday morning, couldn't see till after dinner! A change in lens prescription or a "suggestion" to get my cataracts fixed. I told him I would tough it out for another year, seeing how my knee surgery is coming up in a couple of months.
My intent was to start a batch of venison sausage early yesterday afternoon, but we didn't get started till 5pm. Took a bit longer, had to resize some large neck pieces so they wouldn't choke the grinder and they were barely thawed out as was the pork shoulder we added to the batch. Got it seasoned, ground twice and stored in the shop fridge. Need to vacuum package the mess this morning and that is iffy, depending on the old vacuum sealer we've been using for years. Finally have a new one the way and it is supposed to be on Monday. Several around that I can borrow if we have trouble with the old one again.
Son and grandson from Thomasville are coming for a Father's Day visit today.
Chris, looks like the rain has moved on out from the lower part of the state, assuming y'all were leaving from Canaveral. Kinfolks there didn't get much of the rain that plagued the south end, only 3 inches.
Coffee is ready, think Miss Joy is going to bake something this morning, not sure what.
Y'all have a great day and stay cool if possible. Some of y'all know what's being said when you hear," Don't let the bear get you!"
Treefarmer

Return to “General Off Topic Discussion”