Model 1936 toothpick authentic?

Winchester entered the knife market as a manufacturer in 1919 by acquiring two existing knife companies; Eagle Knife Co. of Connecticut & Napanoch Knife Co. of New York. Winchester stepped away from the market in 1942 to focus on war related manufactured products, but re-entered in the late 1980s by licensing its name to Blue Grass Cutlery. Blue Grass had high quality knives made by Queen Cutlery that featured the Winchester brand name for a handful of years until the license arrangement ran its course. Winchester eventually started licensing to other companies & now you will find the brand name used by several knife manufacturers by way of license agreements.
Jonboat72

Model 1936 toothpick authentic?

Post by Jonboat72 »

I found this knife at a thrift shop for two dollars. I was able to patch the broken bone handle from a piece of bone from a parts knife.
My question is, I’ve heard that only 1 in 10 Winchester’s advertised on eBay are actually original vintage. Could someone tell me from these pictures whether I have a vintage one?
Attachments
IMG_9772.jpeg
IMG_9771.jpeg
IMG_9770.jpeg
IMG_9806.jpeg
Modern Slip Joints

Re: Model 1936 toothpick authentic?

Post by Modern Slip Joints »

It looks like you have rust pitting on your bolsters. I do not know of any Winchester branded knives made after Winchester quit that have soft steel or iron bolsters.
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

::welcome:: to AAPK! Those do look like iron bolsters, but I would need to look up this pattern tonight. What's the closed length? Thanks.
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
Jonboat72

Post by Jonboat72 »

I was wondering about the rusty bolsters myself. First time I’ve come across those.
Here are a couple more pictures closed and open.
Thanks for the help!
Attachments
IMG_9809.jpeg
IMG_9810.jpeg
btrwtr

Post by btrwtr »

100% correct vintage.
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
OLDE CUTLER
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by OLDE CUTLER »

Jonboat72 wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2024 1:30 am I found this knife at a thrift shop for two dollars. I was able to patch the broken bone handle from a piece of bone from a parts knife.
My question is, I’ve heard that only 1 in 10 Winchester’s advertised on eBay are actually original vintage. Could someone tell me from these pictures whether I have a vintage one?
From a Winchester Collector book I have.
IMG_5785.JPG
"Sometimes even the blind chicken finds corn"
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Nice knife you did good.

Harold
Jonboat72

Post by Jonboat72 »

Thank you all again for your help!
Another to add to the collection to pass down to the grandkids if they want!

Return to “Winchester Knife Collector's Forum”