Problem with a Kershaw Leek.............

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
knife7knut

Problem with a Kershaw Leek.............

Post by knife7knut »

Bought a used Kershaw Ken Onion Leek model 1600VIBKO today at an antique shop.Made in January 03 and marked 1 of 300.I have several Kershaws of this model but this is the first one with the titanium nitrite coating on the knife and this is the problem:
This is probably the most difficult knife to hold that I have ever owned.The ace is so slippery that it falls out of my hand when opening even when my hands are dry.I can't imagine trying to hold it if there was any moisture present.The others I have either have a bead blasted(or maybe vapor honed)surface or have non slip scales.
Has anyone else experienced this phenomenon with this type of coating?Any suggestions on improving the grip without destroying the finish?
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
Darksev

Re: Problem with a Kershaw Leek.............

Post by Darksev »

something I've heard used on some of the stainless steel spyderco models (very slick grip sometimes) is skateboard grip tape. Basicly it's fine grain sandpaper with a thicker, adhesive back. cut some shapes, stick it on, all the grip you need :)
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I thought the LEEK was used by the UK types to make soup...... :roll:

::tounge:: :mrgreen:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Reid

Post by Reid »

Canadians eat leeks as well. You pickle them in garlic water. No bad with about 5-6 blue lights. Walleye, leeks, and blues - life is good.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Sounds good to me. When's supper? :lol:

Phil
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

I'm from Texas so I ask a dumb question,
Que es un luz azul? ( what is a blue light ? ) :roll:

I do know what a walleye is. :mrgreen:

For some reason those long skinny fish don't do well in our warm waters, EXCEPT for the alligator gar.....

Salud!!
W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”