Older Laguiole pocket knife

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
dnelsd

Older Laguiole pocket knife

Post by dnelsd »

I have a Laguiole wood handle pocket knife. Blade length 3 1/2". Handle could be walnut? The Laguiole marking is very faint, not stamped in blade. Below the name is what looks to be an Egyptian pharaoh laying on his side.
I would like to know more about this knife. Thanks in advance.
David
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi dnelsd. Warm welcome to the site :D If possible, please post a photo of your knife. Looking forward to hearing more from you :) s-k
dnelsd

Post by dnelsd »

Hard to photgraph the marking on the blade.
Attachments
knf 003.jpg
knf 003.jpg (648.01 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
knf 002.jpg
knf 002.jpg (664.09 KiB) Viewed 4193 times
knf 004.jpg
knf 004.jpg (632.75 KiB) Viewed 4195 times
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi, knice knife. Laguiole is the general name of a knife from a particular region of France. There are many makers of this type of knife. The figure on the head of the spring is a bee. I think this symbol goes back to Napoleon times. There is some debate. Some say it is a more common fly in honour of the shepherds of the area. Languiole knives often have pins on the handle that form a shepherd's cross, although yours does not. Here is a link that gives some history. Are there any marks on the tang or blade that will help to id the maker? I hope this helps. :) s-k

http://www.musee-laguiole.com/en/tradit ... guiole.htm
dnelsd

Post by dnelsd »

Here is a better shot of the marking on the blade
Attachments
2nd 005.jpg
2nd 005.jpg (739.84 KiB) Viewed 4176 times
2nd 002.jpg
2nd 002.jpg (681.41 KiB) Viewed 4178 times
dnelsd

Post by dnelsd »

Smiling Knife
If you click on one of my last photos and enlarge it you can see the blade mark pretty clearly. Looks like their might be a word on the legs of the horizontal character.
Thanks for the help, David
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi sorry I think I misunderstood before. That could be an Egyptian but, IMO, that would be a little odd in this context. I can't really make it out and not the writing at all. It could be a shepherd. Sort of looks like King Arthur but that would be bizarre too. I'll see what I can find. :) s-k
El Lobo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by El Lobo »

I would agree with the SMILING one, ::nod:: , that the etch is most likely a shepherd...as that would make the most sense given the history of that style of knife. And, that they do often have a Shepherd's Cross on them, which lore says the knife could be stuck in the earth, and the shepherd would have a place to pray.
Here is a link showing LOTS of the Laguiole style of knives, as well as some other French pocketknives...

http://www.cutlerytogo.com/frenchknives.html

Maybe you'll find your knife...or a least one with a similar etch.

Bill
Please visit the Member Stores here at AAPK, including my store.....GET AN EDGE!
http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/getanedge
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

Hi le Berger knives, not coincidentally, have a shepherd on the blade. Can't tell if it is the same character as yours but that's as close as I can find. See le Berger on the link El Lobo posted. :) s-k

Return to “European-made knives”