A little beauty

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
smiling-knife

A little beauty

Post by smiling-knife »

Just acquired this one. An early (c 1930) stainless steel Joseph Rodgers & Sons with genuine ivory handle. In near mint condition. :) s-k
Attachments
Knives 034.jpg
Knives 034.jpg (399.67 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Knives 032.jpg
Knives 032.jpg (435.58 KiB) Viewed 3014 times
knife-nut

Post by knife-nut »

That is NICE. How long is it?
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

knife-nut wrote:That is NICE. How long is it?
Thanks knife-nut. The handle is 3 1/4 inches. :) s-k
sunburst

Post by sunburst »

Once again a great looking knife smiling-knife :)

I have always admired stamping on the blade like we see on this knife. It seems to be a common characteristic on a lot of English knives I see.

Thanks for sharing....
Attachments
knives_032_735.jpg
knives_032_735.jpg (9 KiB) Viewed 2951 times
“The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways”
smiling-knife

Post by smiling-knife »

sunburst wrote:Once again a great looking knife smiling-knife :)

I have always admired stamping on the blade like we see on this knife. It seems to be a common characteristic on a lot of English knives I see.

Thanks for sharing....

Thanks very much for your comments Sunburst :D . Your mention of the stamp on blade caused me to do a little more research. In the very early days (1920s) of making stainless steel blades for pocket knives, the blades were made at the same forge as the traditional carbon steel blades. Both were black when forged and thus, in order to differentiate them, 'stainless' was stamped on the SS blades. By the very late 1920s stainless was much more common and the practice was discontinued. According to Hawley, "the ones with the struck mark, as distinct from the etched mark, they are the early ones" Based on this I am suggesting that this knife was made around 1925 give or take a few years. :) s-k

Return to “European-made knives”