Punch Varieties

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
upnorth

Re: Punch Varieties

Post by upnorth »

O.W. that punch is typical of Utica/Kutmaster knives. Sometimes referred to as a "lightning" punch because of the jog in the recessed area. It is a die-stamped punch.
Likely Utica made it for HSB.
Utopia!! A chicken in every pot!! And a Barlow in every pocket!!!

Johnnie Fain would have approved!
1949 - 2009
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Wosey asked me to expand on the Shapleigh story.
Supposedly parts and unfinished knives were found in the old Krusius Brothers plant which closed ca. 1960.
Parker had his German connection (who was it?) finish the knives, and sold them with his typical COA. They were bringing high prices for a while, some years ago. 8-10 years maybe?
I remember no one would pay more than $50 for a German knife back then, and these would sell for double, for a while. When sanity caught up with things, I bought a few in the $50 range, because they were decent knives at that price. I may even have a pearl one somewhere, with a couple in horn. I was gonna carry one to try them out, but never got around to it.
They have a stupid history, not because of the German maker, but because of the crooked seller! :roll:

1949 - 2009
woseyjales

Post by woseyjales »

Thank ye kindly Upnorth, always nice to hear some of the history behind the blade. Sounds like I came out okay at $40 acquisition cost. Takes some of the sting out of not getting a Shapleigh box or that genUwine Certificate of Authendacity. :mrgreen:
Roots in the Krusius Gebr plant sounds good to me.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

woseyjales wrote:Thank ye kindly Upnorth, always nice to hear some of the history behind the blade. Sounds like I came out okay at $40 acquisition cost. Takes some of the sting out of not getting a Shapleigh box or that genUwine Certificate of Authendacity. :mrgreen:
Roots in the Krusius Gebr plant sounds good to me.

$40 sounds more than good to me!! ::tu::

1949 - 2009
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Here's one on a beat up old Case Tested stockman.

And an I*XL from the early 60's

Must be a reflection on the left side of the bottom picture because there is no ridge on that side. It is smooth and rounded.
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
268bull

Post by 268bull »

Here is a WW2 Camillus which has just a wicked punch! U.S.Marine Corps is etched on the handle.
Attachments
Camillus USMC 001.JPG
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

The punch looks to have been reprofiled a bit. How does it work?

1949 - 2009
268bull

Post by 268bull »

The punch works fine. I have looked the punch blade over and it doesn't appear to have any file work done on it. It could be a bit of an angle photo shot that makes it appear that way. I wasn't directly over top of the knife. It looks like the photo shot in "The Demo Knife" article (www.donrearic.com/demoknife1.htm).
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Here is an old New York Knife Co. Punch Jack.

Wicked snap, cocobolo handles, nickle silver shield.

:D
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (36.8 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (45.33 KiB) Viewed 3684 times
AAPK Janitor
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Nice honest HJ, Dimitri! (I see the short bolster on this one!)
Harrison punch, with laminated tang.

1949 - 2009
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

stockman wrote:Here is a old Nap punch with a Pat'd number of 1-29-07 on the punch. Levine's pg. 25 says Carman patent punch blade dated April 7 1908 (884,350) made by Napanoch Knife Co.
Is the date on the punch blade for the knife itself? This punch is for a old Nap tool knife. I tried to scan the other side of this punch and could not get a clear picture, no way. All
tools for this knife is stamped as the punch. Maybe I have answered my question!!
I meant to ask you, stockman, does that punch have the double groove on the unseen side??
'08 is the punch patent date, so '07 must be for the tool kit or tang system??

1949 - 2009
stockman
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by stockman »

Charlie. yes it does have the double grove.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here's what stockman's punch looks like! It had to go through two (at least) machining set-ups to hollow it. When Winchester bought Napanoch, they used this punch for a while, but soon switched to an easier/cheaper one.
Of course the tang is different than stockman's because of his special tool kit.
Attachments
naponochpunch1.jpg
naponochpunch2.jpg

1949 - 2009
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Here are some Winchester HJs!
Note the Nap punches!!
Attachments
Winchester HJ frt..jpg
WinNapHJ.jpg

1949 - 2009
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

It appears to me, but then again what do I know, that most all of these punches were patented some place around the turn of the century. Does this have to do with the patent office?
Shirley (I know don't call me Shirley) :roll: there had to be punches before this time frame!! What did the old boys do when their leather broke down in the old, old days??? Hum?
I don't speak no Flathead ya know!
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knowtracks wrote:Shirley (I know don't call me Shirley) there had to be punches before this time frame!! What did the old boys do when their leather broke down in the old, old days??? Hum?
Sure there was! They used these bad boys! :lol:
Attachments
3.JPG
3.JPG (48.68 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
4.JPG
5.JPG
5.JPG (47.73 KiB) Viewed 3597 times
AAPK Janitor
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Perhaps I should rephrase my question... What was the oldest patent claim for a leather punch?? I suppose before engineered punches came into being a person just had to carry a sharpened nail or triangle like Miller Bro. posted. The trouble with those "punches" is that they don't remove any material. And believe you me if you've ever tried to fasten a buckle after driving a nail thru harness leather, or even saddle leather, it just doesn't work. The leather just closes back in after you pull the nail out.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

knowtracks wrote:Perhaps I should rephrase my question... What was the oldest patent claim for a leather punch?? I suppose before engineered punches came into being a person just had to carry a sharpened nail or triangle like Miller Bro. posted. The trouble with those "punches" is that they don't remove any material. And believe you me if you've ever tried to fasten a buckle after driving a nail thru harness leather, or even saddle leather, it just doesn't work. The leather just closes back in after you pull the nail out.

Been there and done ( or tried like you said ) that. ;) I usually ended stabbing a knife blade through it and twisting the blade till I got enough of a hole in it to make do till I could get to a REAL punch. ::dang::

Neat old knife D!! ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

knowtracks wrote:What was the oldest patent claim for a leather punch??
I don`t know, maybe Charlie does?
knowtracks wrote:I suppose before engineered punches came into being a person just had to carry a sharpened nail or triangle like Miller Bro. posted. The trouble with those "punches" is that they don't remove any material.
A round nail will not remove any material, it has no cutting edge. The "triangle" punch will, it`s edges are sharp. Check out the pictures below.

I took that 110 year old horseman`s knife I posted above and used the punch to put a hole in a 1/4" thick leather sheath I had laying around. It went through like a hot knife through butter! A few clockwise twists and the hole you see is the result. No material left behind, a very nice hole for a belt or whatever you would need one for. This is the best type punch I have ever used. The later ones have a rounded tip, these are hard to push through thick leather. The old stuff is still the best. ::nod:: :wink:
Attachments
6.JPG
6.JPG (36.16 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
7.JPG
7.JPG (36.38 KiB) Viewed 3571 times
AAPK Janitor
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

:shock:
It's a MIRACLE OF MODERN TECHNOLOGY!!!! ::tu::

What'll they think of next. :wink:

Reckon all those later patented punches were just an attempt to "re-invent the wheel"? With that hole made by the punch you just showed working, doesn't seem like you could get a lot better result with anything made later. ::shrug::
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Owd Wullie wrote:Reckon all those later patented punches were just an attempt to "re-invent the wheel"? With that hole made by the punch you just showed working, doesn't seem like you could get a lot better result with anything made later.
Willie, It looks that way to me. To prove it I took out an old Cattaraugus scout knife with a punch blade and tried it out.

It was harder to push through, it took more turns to make the hole, and it left some leather material behind. It was not as clean or fast as the early punch on the horseman`s knife. ::huff::
Attachments
8.JPG
8.JPG (38.2 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
9.JPG
9.JPG (43.34 KiB) Viewed 3476 times
AAPK Janitor
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Thanks for the demonstration MB ::tu::
I suppose then back in the day a nail would be just about as effective once sharpened the tip, and if was large enough to handle. Even by the turn of the centry there were no round nails they were still square hand forged tools.
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

It's all about how sharp it is. Tony Bose knows how to sharpen an edge. He did this experimental punch, and gave it to me to try out.
It is dead flat on the face, and has two converging flats on the back.
The reflection on the edge view makes it look thinner than it is.
Very simple to grind, and sharpen. It slips into the leather, and when you get the desired depth, it cuts out a neat hole of your chosen size!
I just cut these, a few seconds each. (I lost the small plug! It's so tiny, it flew off into the junk in my knife room - I'll find it when I sweep!) The big hole is 3/8" the small one is 1/8".
Any of those punches will work well if sharp. That's why that triangle works, although it's too thick to be optimum. If you sharpen a pen blade on one side only (chisel grind), it'll cut a nice hole! The narrower the blade, the smaller the hole.
Attachments
BoseExPunch1.jpg
BoseExPunch2.jpg
BoseExPunch3.jpg
BoseExPunch4.jpg

1949 - 2009
knowtracks

Post by knowtracks »

Very cool Charlie! ::tu::
Thanks for demonstrating that punch also.
It appears from the donut holes that were cut out that where you push the punch in is not going to be the center of the hole. But to 1 side or the other depending on which way you turn the punch. Is that correct?
upnorth

Post by upnorth »

Yes, exactly. If you need it to be precise, you just lightly scratch the circle on the surface first. I "wiggle" the point in, because if you push real hard, when it breaks through, your fingers are on the other side!!

Don't ask me how I know this :roll: !

1949 - 2009

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”