Kershaw Leek

Kershaw began its foray into the knife business sometime during 1974. The company was originally based in Portland Oregon, but most early knives were manufactured in Japan. The first US manufacturing plant was opened in 1997 & the company currently offers knives made in the U.S., Japan, & China. Pete Kershaw (an ex Gerber salesman) started the business.
mc1130

Kershaw Leek

Post by mc1130 »

I know the Leek is a popoular choice for an EDC. It is just a bit too long and I get some strange looks when carry at the office.

Any recommendations on something similar without the auto assist but one handed opening?

Thanks as always.
Froggyedge

Re: Kershaw Leek

Post by Froggyedge »

I have carried and used the Kershaw Vapor a lot this winter, bot mostly for use outdoors. I believe that the two have roughly the same size.
For use in an office environment among non-knife people you may be better of with a smaller knife.
There are smaller Kershaws, but if you are willing to consider other brands, you may also find models from Gerber of interest.
I have used the quite small Gerber Ripstop (hope I don't mix names...) as a part of my EDC rotation for some time. Very light weight and you should not get to many strange looks from the non-knifers. Length closed is about 3.5", so it is not a big blade, but still capable of performing real tasks indoors and outdoors.
Here is mine about to help me prepare a small meal on a trip a few weeks ago.
Attachments
Gerberripsnack.jpg
Gerberripsnack.jpg (33.75 KiB) Viewed 3278 times
Knivlaus mann er livlaus mann.

A knifeless man is a lifeless man - Old Nordic proverb.
gmusic

Post by gmusic »

Esplain.....................to your non-knife cohorts how handy a good knife is...................maybe they will convert!
http://www.musicmadeknives.com

Rodger, (Rodger-50/2050), Bill (El Lobo), Johnny Fain (jonet143), Johnny Samples (Johnnyrotten),
Bill Price (CCBill)

Please feel free to contact any mod or admin with concerns.
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

I agree with gmusic!
A sad thing that so many people today seem to regard an ordinary pocket knife primarily as a dangerous weapon, and not as a handy tool. Not to many years ago having a knife in your pocket was the rule, not the exeption...
Where did we go wrong..? :( ::tear::

mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

Froggyedge wrote:I agree with gmusic!
A sad thing that so many people today seem to regard an ordinary pocket knife primarily as a dangerous weapon, and not as a handy tool. Not to many years ago having a knife in your pocket was the rule, not the exeption...

I think a lot of it is the times we live in. Also, the knives that most folks seem to be buying these days, like your Benchmades, Spyderco's, etc, for the most part, look like weapons. I own two Benchmades, and while they are top quality, they do not have the same appeal to me as the older style knives, and they have a more "tacticool" look about them. A lot of these modern knives also seem to all look the same too, but that may just be me 8) . I would also not walk around with a large knife in my pocket. For example, my Buck 110 is a great knife, but I would not have that on my belt when walking into my local mall! That is with me when I am in the woods hiking.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

mc1130 wrote:I know the Leek is a popoular choice for an EDC. It is just a bit too long and I get some strange looks when carry at the office.

Any recommendations on something similar without the auto assist but one handed opening?

Thanks as always.

The Leek was designed by Ken Onion for Kershaw.
The Leek is the largest of there A/Os that Ken designed in a series and named them after members of the onion family (botanical family that is)
The Leek, the Scallion and the Chive.

Here is some info from the Kershaw website.
Each is available in a variety of finishes.
Leek - http://www.kershawknives.com/productdet ... nd=kershaw
Scallion - http://www.kershawknives.com/productdet ... nd=kershaw
Chive - http://www.kershawknives.com/productdet ... nd=kershaw

These are great knives. I have all three, but prefer the Leek as it fits my hand better.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

I don't think I have visited the Kershaw website for a looong time, so I had to take a look.
A lot to choose from and many nice knives, but I miss a line of more classic looking knives.
I found the Black Gulch, a knife that I purchased more than 20 years ago. Didn't know it was still in production.

«Kershaw products are made in the USA, Japan, Taiwan, Mexico, Sweden and China as indicated on the product.»
Mexico? Sweden??? What Kershaw products are made there? ::hmm::

Another Knife Collector

Post by Another Knife Collector »

Froggyedge wrote:«Kershaw products are made in the USA, Japan, Taiwan, Mexico, Sweden and China as indicated on the product.»
Mexico? Sweden??? What Kershaw products are made there? ::hmm::
From what I've found it seems they have a fire starter and folding saw made in Sweden and some of their sheaths are made in Mexico.
-Phil
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Aha, that might be the fire starter from Light My Fire.
I carry one of those when hiking. ::tu::

Thanks! :)

gino

Post by gino »

How can people at the office see how long the leek is? If its clipped in your pocket all they should see is the butt end?

Even if you get a smaller knife you will still see the same amount of the knife from it being clipped on your pocket.

Hope this saves you from buying a new knife if your gonna have the same problem.

I have a few leeks and love them and carry one every day.
Just ordered another in black
Attachments
Picture 085.jpg
Picture 084.jpg
226097914_tp[1].jpg
226097914_tp[1].jpg (35.01 KiB) Viewed 3068 times
-( life is too short to carry a cheap knife )-
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

mikekoz wrote:
Froggyedge wrote:I agree with gmusic!
I think a lot of it is the times we live in. Also, the knives that most folks seem to be buying these days, like your Benchmades, Spyderco's, etc, for the most part, look like weapons. I own two Benchmades, and while they are top quality, they do not have the same appeal to me as the older style knives, and they have a more "tacticool" look about them. A lot of these modern knives also seem to all look the same too, but that may just be me 8) . I would also not walk around with a large knife in my pocket. For example, my Buck 110 is a great knife, but I would not have that on my belt when walking into my local mall! That is with me when I am in the woods hiking.
I agree!
Most modern "tactical" knives do look more weaponlike than the older styles, and I think that for many people a lockable blade translates to "knife made for stabbing" more than "knife made safer for the user."
MC1130 would most likely get fewer strange looks at the office if carrying (and occasionally using) a Canoe than the Leek.
I like both modern knives and the classic patterns but, like you, I often find the older styles having more appeal to me. I sort of tend to get more fond of them. Why I don't really know...
I often bring my old Buck 112 with me when I am in the woods... :)

mikekoz

Post by mikekoz »

mc1130 wrote:I know the Leek is a popoular choice for an EDC. It is just a bit too long and I get some strange looks when carry at the office.

Thanks as always.

You may want to take a look at this:

http://www.bearandsoncutlery.com/index. ... cts_detail

It is kind of a mix of the newer style knives and the old. I have been looking at one of these for a while.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

I like some of the designs of the newer knives, but prefer the traditional materials.

Here is a Kershaw Wild Turkey that I experimented with.
I liked the results so well I have been EDCing it for a couple months.
I used some left over bone scraps to replace the rather plain rosewood handles.
I do like the feel of the bone handles, even though I did not take great pains in fitting them.
The Wild Turkey is about the size of the Leek, but the handle is not quite as wide.
Kershaw Wild Turkey EDC.jpg
Perhaps this is the type of fusion of old materials and new design that some of you will appreciate as well.

Dale
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
Froggyedge

Post by Froggyedge »

Mikekoz,
Interesting blend between new and traditional.
If you buy one, please tell us more about it!

Orvet,
Nice one! ::tu::
I do like the design of the Wild Turkey, it makes sense as an all-round, usable EDC.
As for the semi-serrated blades and those with pronounced recurve, I tend to loose interest...
I prefer the good old-fashioned plain edge!
Bone handles feels nicer than all metal, especially when below freezing.

redferd

Post by redferd »

This small Gerber F.A.S.T. a/o has a small sliding lock on the handle which will lock it open or closed. The clip lets the knife ride low in the pocket. I have seen these at Walmart now under the Winchester name. I carry one at home all the time and use it for mostly everything. It will cut an apple just fine. It is small but nice and has good steel in the blade. I like the one I have. It has never opened on its own in my pocket. I also have a Chive which I like a lot but i don't like the ease of which it opens. My vote is for the Gerber F.A.S.T. as it was called when I bought it. ::ds::
Attachments
JIM'S B D PICS1 059.jpg

Return to “Kershaw Knife Forum”