Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

A place dedicated to the discussion & picture sharing of swords, hatchets, throwing knives, Native American Tools, tomahawk heads and other related items.
vikingdog

Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by vikingdog »

Does anyone collect axes or hatchets? If so I'd like to see some pictures. I dug out three of my old ones and I think they're pretty cool. My Boy Scout axe, an Estwing hatchet and a hatchet with a Firestone logo. I'll be looking for a few more when the flea markets open in the spring.
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

My traditional Nordic knife blog: http://nordiskaknivar.wordpress.com/

Mike
ambrose

Re: Anyone Collect Axes & Hatchets?

Post by ambrose »

I don't, but here is the one I have. For sale or trade by the way.
Lakeside Ax 002.JPG
Attachments
Lakeside Ax 001.JPG
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Nice old axe. Lakeside was Montgomery Ward's house brand. I'd pick it up at the flea market or estate sale but it would probably be expensive to ship. ::shrug::
"Progress might have been all right once, but it has gone on too long." Ogden Nash

Mike
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

I do. Been looking for one of these for a long time. I have only seen 5 in all the years of looking and only 1 other in near this condition.

It was made in Clinton Mass. by the Tomahawk Company. I don`t think they were in business very long, judging by the few I have ever seen turn up for sale.

The unique thing about this is it has a small fixed blade knife inside the handle of the hatchet. You press a little button and the knife drops out. It comes with a gun holster type leather sheath, when you snap the top cover off to take out the hatchet there is a place for two books of matches, which they supplied when the item was new. This set still has 1 unused book of matches left, if you think the hatchet is rare, the matches are next to impossible to find.
AAPK Janitor
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

It appears the ax handle extends below the holster. Is the button that releases the knife at the exposed end? I hope.

That is a slick setup. I'd love to come across one of those, with matches.
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Joe,

Yes, it sits well below the holster so you can drop just the knife out without taking the hatchet out of its sheath.

It is really quite a unique item. As far as you finding one with the matches, I hope you are a young man, because I thought I would never live long enough to find one this nice ::nod:: :lol:
AAPK Janitor
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

WOW!

That is really neat! GREAT find!! ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Dimitri, our chances are better than anyone else given we live in New England.
Joe
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Thanks Willie :)

Joe, this is true but, I bought it from a guy that lives around here, however he got it from the west coast, 3 thousand miles away ::doh:: So they can show up just about anywhere ::nod::
AAPK Janitor
1967redrider
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by 1967redrider »

Not really a collector's piece but I thought I would try out this SOG and see how it holds up. I just got a small woodburning camp stove and I'm hoping the hatchet will come in handy for splitting firewood. Nice weight, just over 12" long with about a 6 1/2" head. Seems to be well made, time will tell.
Attachments
SOG hatchet
SOG hatchet
SOG hatchet dimensions
SOG hatchet dimensions
SOG dimensions
SOG dimensions
Guess Where It's Made?
Guess Where It's Made?
Pocket, fixed, machete, axe, it's all good!

You're going to look awfully silly with that knife sticking out of your @#$. -Clint Eastwood, High Plains Drifter
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

I do like axes and hatchets. I like knives, but there is just something about a huge, intricate stamping on a rare old axe that gets me going a little more.

The clipper is on ebay currently.
Oil Well Supply brought $493 a few weeks ago.
Attachments
chief1.jpg
chief2.jpg
fulton clipper.JPG
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

That is one nice hatchet with the Oil Rig stamps--i got a few old hatchets and axes i'll get images of soon i got one old axe that i bought years ago at a rumage sale and it's got a hook in the handle from leanin in the corner for who knows how long i've soaked in the creek fer days and leaned it the oppsite way an it's still got a lean to it-that one is at my cabin but i got Ats and a couple hatchets here that are worth showing off
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Oz, those are some awesome axes you've got. ::drool::

Post some pictures when you get a chance Pigsticker. I'd like to see them. ::tu::

Mike
268bull

Post by 268bull »

OZ, That's a fine looking ax head your showing there. I don't exactly look specifically for axes, but if one happens to catch my eye I'll give it a good looking over. Just from past expierence with ax heads, I now carry a good sized piece of aught steel wool to try to make out the inscription. Just yesterday I picked out a Shapleigh Hdw. Diamond edge ax/hatchet hung up behind a bunch of yard and garden tools. Pretty well hidden, but ended up as a nice $4.00 purchase. Does need a new handle though. Anyway's, that's a good looking axe your showing. I like it! ::tu:: Bull
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

thanks guys! one thing is, they SURE don't look like that when I get em. Sometimes just buy really rusty axes and take a gamble on the stamp. 4 bucks is a good price for any axe or hatchet, new Kobalt ones at lowe's run 18 - 20 bucks just for a hatchet!
There's a mass without roofs. There's a prison to fill. There's a country's soul that reads post no bills. There's a strike and a line of cops outside of the mill. There's a right to obey and a right to kill.
conslade
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by conslade »

Man, these are some lookin' hatchets! If you are looking for handles, there is a store on Ebay called "The Hickory Handle Store". They have a fair selection, but won't hardly answer an email.
We are all smarter than any one of us. Let us learn from each other.
Iron Hoarder

Post by Iron Hoarder »

I used to buy handles from House Handle Company. They were real nice folks to deal with.
I measure my collection by the ton.
Whoever dies with the most tools wins......Now accepting donations.
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

I picked this one up at the flea market this morning. A Lakeside axe in beautiful condition, $15.
Attachments
Lakeside Axe.JPG

Mike
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Looks like a beauty, how long is the handle?
AAPK Janitor
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thank you MB. 31 inches not counting the section in the axe head. The color of the wood is really pretty on this one.

Mike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a great looking tool that is Mike. Does it show a maker? How big is the head?
Joe
vikingdog

Post by vikingdog »

Thanks Joe. The head is 7 1/4 inches from the butt to the cutting edge. It's marked Lakeside which was Montgomery Ward's house brand.

The guy had several axes for sale but this one really stood out.
Attachments
Lakeside Axe Head.JPG

Mike
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Thanks Mike, it's really nice.
Joe
allmightyoz

Post by allmightyoz »

Nice Viking. Looks like its hardened pretty far up, they really meant for that one to be used for awhile!
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Here's a head I found about 18 years ago in Washington, Ct.

It's OLD.
Attachments
024.JPG
021.JPG
020.JPG
Joe

Return to “Other Sharp Objects”