Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by garddogg56 »

Like the topic states I just want to see your new addition and your reasons for buying them.My newest is a 112v Ranger and the reason is my first Buck was a .112. when I first got in the trade and I wanted a thinner rounded bolster Ranger and I finally got one ::nod:: Also I want to know the reasons for you guys buying the newer knives.
Attachments
100_1340.jpg
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Old Hunter »

GD, the last Buck I bought was the 1968 era 301 built by Schrade - got it in April. It joins the 1970 era 301 I already had that was built by Camillus. Next I intend to add a current 301 so I have an example as built by Buck - think I want the version with the yellow handles this time. I also like the looks of the red handled Buck 303 that was sold in limited numbers around 1992 (I copied this picture off of ebay) - they just look cool! Also on my "eventual" list is a 103 Skinning Knife.
Attachments
Buck Red 303 - 1992.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Railsplitter
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Railsplitter »

My newest addition is this shieldless 709 from 2000.

About a week before that it was this 705 from 1992.

Throughout my years of collecting I have managed to acquire three 703's. The bottom one is my newest 703 that I got about three weeks ago.

My attraction for the 700 series started in the early 80's when I saw a 703 in a display case. I bought it and carried it for a while but then I either lost it or broke it. Can't remember which. I sure did love that knife!

I always did miss that knife but it wasn't until 20+ years later, after they were discontinued, that I got another one.
Rick T.

"My knife money maketh itself wings!" mb>

Proud member of the Buck Collectors Club Inc.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Stablemaster I allways liked the 700 series but I won't persue them untill I collect the 300 series ::shrug:: OH those red handled knives are beautiful I have never handled one, to me the Cadet is my favorite to EDC,I too like the 103 skinner ::nod::
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Picked up this 2004 301 because my Old Timer 8OT is getting pretty thin on the main blade, and I wanted an all stainless stockman of similar size with nice full blades for work use, cutting boxes, packages, string, twine, cartons, and small food chores as well...plus to be able to carry as a supplement to my fixed blade during hunting season. I've never owned a Buck other than a 110, so I wanted to give one of their tradtional style slipjoints a try, and the 301 seemed to fit the bill. Plus the sawcut delrin is a natural for a work knife, pretty near indestructable in normal use, and nice and grippy too. So far so good, the blades open up really smooth, definitely not a nail breaker, which is good when you are opening it up repeatedly throughout the day. The handle orientates easily in the hand, to make finding the blade you need pretty simple and quick. (main blade nick on the shield side)...blades snap into place securely with no blade play, and it has been keeping an edge quite nicely. I appreciate the thickness of the blades, especially the sheepsfoot, that one's my fav. The stainless has been working out nicely too, it's gotten wet plenty, and hasn't taken on any rust as of yet. So getting back to the question at hand, I bought this knife to be a user, and one that I don't have to baby, that I can put to hard use and not have to worry about it breaking down on me. I think I made a good choice.
Mike
Buck 301.jpg
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Ya Mike pretty much the same with me, I love my 112+110 for work I never got into the slip joints because they moved some of there lines to china but when Buck announced they were moveing from china back to the USA I started buying them again I was always satisfied with Schrade and Camillus for my slippies But both are out of the US,So in my quest for a slippie for work I tried Case they are nice (pretty) but just not a TOUGH knife. so I went with Buck 300 series knives ::nod::
Chief RID

Post by Chief RID »

My newest is this 311 Mini Trapper.
Attachments
Trappers2.jpg
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Chief, that 311 is the one of the most desirable of the discontinued Buck patterns - nice knife!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Nice trappers Chief ::tu::
Chief RID

Post by Chief RID »

Thanks guys. A friend gave it to me and I carry it often. It is my only Buck pocket knife. I saw one at a flea market in Myrtle Beach and passed on it. I should have grabbed it. It was a smaller knife and I really did not pay it no mind. ::doh::
bigdaddys8ball

Post by bigdaddys8ball »

here is my newest buck my wife went to indiana over the weekend to bring her mom (barb) down to stay with us for a couple weeks well barbs friend (sis) in indiana is a elderly woman in her mid seventies and she said that her dad packed it the last few years of his life and when he passed she put it in her purse and it stayed there till she took it out and gave to me i guess barb told her how i collect pocket knives and that i would take care of it so i called sis and told her thank you and that the knife was going in with my special ones and that i would proudly show it off
Attachments
battle axe 483.jpg
johnny twoshoes

Post by johnny twoshoes »

Growing up, Buck was the gold standard of cutlery for my family and everyone had a Buck knife. 110s, 102s and a few knives from the 300 series were always around. I'm not sure why, but Buck was the hunters knife in our family. Often times the 102 was the knife of choice for processing deer and the 110 was just a back up folder for food prep at camp, but it usually stayed clean from the blood of a fresh kill.

There is a few different Buck knives that really stick out in my mind, like the 102 my uncle left stuck in a log after cleaning a few cottontails. The whole gang of hunters decided to make another hunting trip out of the return for the Buck knife. It's a story of heard more than a few times and there is always a smile on the storyteller's face.

The knife that most sticks out in my mind though is the Buck 704 that my Grandfather has. It was a gift from my Mom one Christmas and it became his EDC for the next few years. The knife became known as the lost and found Buck, he lost that knife more than any other, but he always found it. He lost it for almost a year and never said anything to us about it, until one day my Mom was helping them get some laundry done and she stumbled onto the lost 704. My Grandfather's face turned a little red when he recognized the knife that was found. Then we got the story and the timetable of the missing blade.

One of my fondest memories of that knife was a on a little trip I took with my Grandfather. I spent a weekend with him every month and we'd wake up earlier than my Grandmother and go out for a ride. Often we'd head to a little butcher shop in town and get a fresh ring of bologna. Then we would drive to the riverside and he'd pull out that Buck knife and hunk the ring bologna into pieces. I remember trying to catch a better look at that knife every time it was produced from his pocket.

It wasn't until later years that I got bit by the knife bug and I started to do a little research into knives. As my collection grew I focused on other knives and different brands. Finally I found a 703 at a knife show in Titusville, the guy was willing to haggle on the price and I came home with a new knife. It wasn't my Grandfather's exact knife, but it was close. I showed it to him and he was tickled to know that I bought a knife like his. He even started carrying his knife more.

It's funny how you can carry something for so long and be used to it and then one day it disappears and you never know it. One night as I was getting ready for bed I slipped the 703 out of my pocket and unknowingly set it down on the window seal, being that it was summer we had an air conditioner in the window and I must have slipped the knife under the edge of the machine. It wasn't until the weather changed that my Mom found the knife when we were getting the air conditioner out. Soon after that I traded it to a fellow member of this forum who wanted a 703 for his dad. It went to a better home than I could give it.

A couple months ago, a 704 popped up for sale on another forum, I wanted it bad and asked if we could do a trade. The guy who had it offered me a deal I couldn't resist. He was a bass fisherman and I had a few lures that I wasn't using. It was a great trade and pretty soon I had my own 704. I haven't shown it to him yet, but he'll see it soon.

His,

Mine,

Sorry for writing a book, I just felt like sharing.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Caleb;Don't be sorry for telling your story I for one enjoy your writings ::nod:: Thanks for sharing your story and that Buck ::tu:: Where have ya been hope everything is well.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Caleb, great story and it's not even over! Thanks for taking the time to write it out - I sure enjoyed reading it.
Chief RID

Post by Chief RID »

I really enjoyed the story , Caleb. Thanks.
johnny twoshoes

It's been a while since I've really shared anything on here. I'm sorry for that guys, I've been pretty busy on a couple other forums and at home. AAPK is always my first choice and I am logged on almost all the time. I just stopped sharing as much as I once did and I'm not sure why. I enjoy this place so much, I hope to start getting back to the norm again.

Thanks guys, it's been great getting to know you all.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Is anyone out there buying the newer Bucks if so what is drawing you to them.Caleb good to here from ya ::nod::
johnny twoshoes

I bought a Buck Vantage Avid, thats the newest model I've gotten from them. I bought it last year at a walmart on our way to trout camp because I needed a bigger just in case knife.
My hip boots leaked and I got suctioned into them, that was until I pulled the avid out and cut myself out.

The attraction was the price. It said USA and I could get it for under $30, so it came home with me.

Also, I won CJ's EDC on another forum.

garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Caleb;I've heard rave reviews on the Avid ::tu:: How do ya like the thumb hole??
johnny twoshoes

G56, the thumb hole is okay.

The one I bought at wally world has a little noise to it if you shake it. It's a problem these knives have after they have been opened and closed a few times, Buck got the problem figured out and you can send them in to have 'em fixed. I haven't sent mine in yet.

If you want it, send me your address G56 and it's your's.
I bought it on a whim and will never use it. Which is unfortunate, it's a great knife. I'd be glad to get a better home for it. ::tu::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thanx Caleb PM sent ::handshake::
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

No one else into modern Buck knives???
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Caleb she arrived fri. THANK-YOU gave her a tune-up good as new ::tu:: I'm having trouble keeping her from my boys.
Attachments
100_1516.jpg
johnny twoshoes

Well, if you get bored of it and decide that one of your offspring would enjoy it, don't feel bad about sending it to more work.
I hope you enjoy it, it was a fun buy at a great time. ::tu::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow GD, that is one fine gift! And kudos to Caleb, he is obviously a class act.

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”