Primitive bone Wade & Butcher

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Gunstock Jack

Primitive bone Wade & Butcher

Post by Gunstock Jack »

Ever' once't and a while, a guy gets lucky! I bought this Wade & Butcher wedge razor off'n feebay for a song and a half. The photos were crummy and I took a chance. Had the guy taken decent photos, he could have doubled his money.

The thin bone handles look to have been around a long time and have developed some nice color. They were pretty dried out, but a generous coat of mineral oil left overnite made 'em glossy and purty agin! The blade is just as it came to me with only a light cleaning. It doesn't appear to have been honed more than a couple times. I'll be puttin' a fresh edge on him and report on the shave in a later post.
IMG_7336.JPG
IMG_7337.JPG
IMG_7338.JPG
IMG_7339.JPG
Anybody know about when this razor was made? :D
Barry

Great Eastern Cutlery distributor: http://www.gunstockjacksknives.com
Contact me: info@gunstockjacksknives.com
Owd Wullie

Re: Primitive bone Wade & Butcher

Post by Owd Wullie »

NICE!!

Probably 1870's to 1890's.

Good catch!
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Brian Flowers

Re: Primitive bone Wade & Butcher

Post by Brian Flowers »

Nice W & B . yes , pre 1891 , why , the word Germany is not on the tang . bone ? , take a close look at the pins , from the pics they dont appear
to be the same , could have been rescaled , pre 1891 W & Bs used mostly Buffalo horn , i collect straights , some 100 plus or so . several W & Bs
in the collection , all have buffalo scales . research , research , research pays off . especially in the collecting area .
hope this helps
Brian

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”