Monthly AAPK Knife Give-Aways

Tell us how we are doing, report problems, voice your concerns, and all that stuff... All input is appreciated and will be taken into consideration.
tjmurphy

Monthly AAPK Knife Give-Aways

Post by tjmurphy »

This seems like a good idea to me and I hope to others. How about if the person who wins the monthly knife give-away supplies the knife for the next monthly give-away? It would certainly take a burden off Bryan and we would be assured of the next drawing. Don't think it would be a burden for anyone winning. I'll contribute the knife for the July drawing and start it from there. The winner could still be selected in the same way as now, including the Illinois Pick-3 Lottery, or any other lottery where the number is completely random. Just a thought.
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
rangerbluedog

Re: Monthly AAPK Knife Give-Aways

Post by rangerbluedog »

I like it. ::tu::
-Blue
Click the link below to order your copy of the Boker book!
https://TheBokerBook.com
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Welp, twenty-four views and only one reply. Must not have been a very good idea after-all.

Thanks a lot Ranger ::tu::

caddyman1973

Post by caddyman1973 »

I don't have a problem with that. It might should be that if you win the June drawing that you put up the August giveaway knife. That way the winner would have time to select a knife from his or her collection or go purchase a knife that would be fitting as a giveaway drawing knife. Also that would give time to the person making the donation to take pictures of their knife to be given away. I like the idea TJ. ::tu::
You be tolerant....
You coexist....
I will do NEITHER!!!!
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Hey Caddy, that would work too and maybe even better. ::tu:: My thoughts here were to take a little of the burden off Bryan and maybe give everyone a chance to contribute to the site. Thanks a lot for your in-put.

Classic Case

Post by Classic Case »

I would have no problem with it,..but there have been many winners, that I have never even seen a post from. To be honest, I dont really see alot of these folks pitching in. ::shrug::
Chris - I'd give my right arm to be ambidexterous.
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Maybe there should be a minimum post count such as WoseyJales used in his give-away and in the prereq's a statement of some sorts defining eligibility (how in the world do you spell that??).

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Classic Case wrote:there have been many winners, that I have never even seen a post from.
That is the problem, some just come here once a month for a chance to win a knife and never contribute to the site. If one of these members wins it is very unlikely they will reciprocate.

I have my annual Christmas knife giveaway and I always specify that the entrants have a certain minimum amount of posts or they cannot enter, I caught hell for it but I think it is only fair. ::huff::
AAPK Janitor
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

You all are probably right, no way to control it and no for sure reciprication.

Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

Tom,

::idea:: How about we get 12 volunteers from this site to commit to donating one knife in advance for the monthly giveaway?

1.You can choose the month you want to donate the knife and post a picture of the knife in a dedicated thread and it can be seen in advance by all members.

2. You don`t have to be a former winner of the monthly giveaway, so no pressure to donate.

3. Donate 1 knife or several, what ever the individual wants to do.

All it would take is 12 members or less to have all the giveaway knives accounted for the year.

::hmm::
AAPK Janitor
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I like the idea Dimitri! ::tu::

I'd take one month - say Jan or Feb.
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Tom,

::idea:: How about we get 12 volunteers from this site to commit to donating one knife in advance for the monthly giveaway?

1.You can choose the month you want to donate the knife and post a picture of the knife in a dedicated thread and it can be seen in advance by all members.

2. You don`t have to be a former winner of the monthly giveaway, so no pressure to donate.

All it would take is 12 members or less to have all the giveaway knives accounted for the year.

That would work and fulfill two of the purposes of the OP; 1: It would take the burden of supplying a knife for the give-away off of Bryan's shoulders and 2: It would guarantee a knife for each month's drawing. What it would not do is, and I hate to use this word, eliminate those who never contribute and only show up for the drawings. I think that you would still have the same people donating all the knives. Wish there was a way to work around this.

BTW, I have already offered and Bryan has accepted a knife for the July drawing. I guess August is open.

jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

May I suggest a required minimum of 25 posts as of the first of the month for any monthly give away.

For a spontaneous give away such as Dimitri's Christmas give away or the one WoseyJales just had, 25 posts prior to the date the give away begins with a hard date entered in the original post by the give away sponsor.

I'd like to suggest this be a requirement for all AAPK give aways going forward.
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I second or third, or whatever, that motion....min 25 posts!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

jerryd6818 wrote:May I suggest a required minimum of 25 posts as of the first of the month for any monthly give away.

For a spontaneous give away such as Dimitri's Christmas give away or the one WoseyJales just had, 25 posts prior to the date the give away begins with a hard date entered in the original post by the give away sponsor.
I went back and checked the Giveaway thread I started 3 years ago and my requirement was 100 posts minimum :o Like I said, I caught hell for that requirement, but still think it is very fair.

No one who just checks in once a month to win a free knife is going to make 100 posts to qualify, they will move on I believe.

I am not against new members and it should be open to all, just they will have to wait till they have the required amount of posts.
tjmurphy wrote: I think that you would still have the same people donating all the knives. Wish there was a way to work around this.
The members who win on a regular basis and never contribute, then that is on them
I will still contribute regardless.

There is no easy solution but we are headed in the right direction ::handshake::
AAPK Janitor
tjmurphy

Post by tjmurphy »

I agree Dimitri. If we keep on going we WILL come up with a solution. Twenty-five posts, 100-posts, either is is fine. But I agree that to qualify to play you should have some minimum number of posts or meet some prerequisite.

DRS

Post by DRS »

Isn't there a way to post the number you pick with out some one having to do it manual?
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

DRS wrote:Isn't there a way to post the number you pick with out some one having to do it manual?
Yes. Don't know why Bryan didn't use it this time but he's used the "self picking number assigner" several times in the past. ::shrug::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
DRM60

Post by DRM60 »

Miller Bro`s wrote:Tom,

I like that idea. I would be glad to donate a knife for one of the drawings.
On Edge

Post by On Edge »

Miller Bro`s wrote:
jerryd6818 wrote:May I suggest a required minimum of 25 posts as of the first of the month for any monthly give away.

I went back and checked the Giveaway thread I started 3 years ago and my requirement was 100 posts minimum :o Like I said, I caught hell for that requirement, but still think it is very fair.

No one who just checks in once a month to win a free knife is going to make 100 posts to qualify, they will move on I believe.

I am not against new members and it should be open to all, just they will have to wait till they have the required amount of posts.
I agree with Miller Bros, I think 100 posts is a good number as a "filter". When I first joined the site, I was told (very diplomatically) that I could not participate in a contest because I didn't yet have 100 posts. I had no problem with that because my purpose for joining was not to score a free knife. I think its a good idea, and that 25 may be too low a number, as there may be the temptation to jump on the threads and post 25 three word responses. Doing that 100 times would take a bit more work ...
Miller Bro`s wrote:" … The members who win on a regular basis and never contribute, then that is on them
I will still contribute regardless. There is no easy solution but we are headed in the right direction ::handshake::
I agree, and I will also contribute - please put me on that list and let me know what is decided.

~ Edge
"Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves."

~ Albert Einstein
wazu013

Post by wazu013 »

I only try to win a knife every once in a while but I like the min. post idea at least 100. If I won a knife I would certainly supply a knife for the next available month. The truth is my luck is soooo bad I could promise the moon if I won :lol:
wazu013
Laissez Les Bon Temps Roulez

Return to “Suggestions, Questions, Comments, Concerns, Alerts, Etc...”