Colonial knife company?

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
ironmage

Re: Colonial knife company?

Post by ironmage »

Bonfire bob wrote:Well folks, it looks like AAPK needs a Colonial Knife Company expert. Here I am!!
My name is Robert A Paolantonio. I am the only second or third generation cutler for that matter. I currently have a book for sale named "My Family Business", and my blog is
myfamilybusinessbook.com. I am also known by my personal custom line R.A.P. Cutler, that I established many years before Colonial went out of business after the year 2000. I spent over 40 years in the old factory of Colonial, and working in every department over the years was an incredible experience. It also makes me the most informative, experienced Colonial family owner alive.
This three blade stockman was one of my personal knives that I made at Colonial over 25 years ago. I used my companys parts but developed my own tang stamp years ago!!
The knife is actually a #530 Old Cutler customized by me. I made many of these knifes in multiple colored bone, stag, wood, Mother Of Pearl, and even scrimshawed Mammoth Ivory.
My book is an incredible story begining with my grandfather Frederick arriving in this country in 1903 and working very hard untill he incorporated Colonial with his brothers in 1926.
Hello and welcom.I have read your blog often and would love to find a place to buy your book.Can that be done on your blog to.If so I could not find the info.If you could post the info on this forum I would appreciate it a lot.Glad to have you aboard.I have bin a big fan of your knives since I was a kid.
"Sometimes the best part of a knife was the hunt",PK
" Fēng xiàng zhuàn biàn shí, yǒu rén zhú qiáng, yǒu rén zào fēng chē!"
"When the wind of change blows some build walls while others build windmills!"
PigSticker

Post by PigSticker »

Hey how you doin Bobby?--Recieved my copy of your book yesterday I'm taking it with me this morning on a trip to Missouri and plan on checkin it out while hangin out out the motel. Welcome to AAPK!!
NEVER DOUBT YOUR DAWG
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Welcome to AAPK. ::welcome::

We're glad to have you join us.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Bonfire bob wrote:Well folks, it looks like AAPK needs a Colonial Knife Company expert. Here I am!!
My name is Robert A Paolantonio. I am the only second or third generation cutler for that matter. I currently have a book for sale named "My Family Business", and my blog is
myfamilybusinessbook.com. I am also known by my personal custom line R.A.P. Cutler, that I established many years before Colonial went out of business after the year 2000. I spent over 40 years in the old factory of Colonial, and working in every department over the years was an incredible experience. It also makes me the most informative, experienced Colonial family owner alive.
This three blade stockman was one of my personal knives that I made at Colonial over 25 years ago. I used my companys parts but developed my own tang stamp years ago!!
The knife is actually a #530 Old Cutler customized by me. I made many of these knifes in multiple colored bone, stag, wood, Mother Of Pearl, and even scrimshawed Mammoth Ivory.
My book is an incredible story begining with my grandfather Frederick arriving in this country in 1903 and working very hard untill he incorporated Colonial with his brothers in 1926.

Hey Bobby! It's Scott from pocketknivesblog.com
Glad to see you finally joined us here!
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Heres a Colonial I picked up at a yard sale.Nice solid knife ::nod::
Attachments
IMAG0006.JPG
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Great! Glad you joined us, Robert!

Gotta say THANKS for the book and other little "treasures" you sent! ::handshake::
I've really enjoyed the book and wish you all the best with your success.

Guys, Robert signed the COA of one of his stag handled stockmans for me!
It's the FIRST COA he has ever signed!!! ::woot::

I'll get some pics posted soon. :D

Here's a link to Robert Paolantonio's blog:

http://myfamilybusinessbook.wordpress.com/

....... Joe
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Hey Robert, welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of Colonial knives and look forward to any and all information that you would be willing to share!
This is one of my favorite old Colonials, the serpentine shape, deep blue swirl handles, solid construction, long nail pull...still snaps like a gator after all these years.... Couple of questions for ya if ya don't mind me askin....any idea on timeframe of production on this one? Also, what exactly is the handle material....celluloid? some type of hard plastic? Whatever it is, it has held up really well and shows no signs of deterioration, still vibrant colors too....
Colonial blue swirl 005.jpg
Colonial blue swirl 006.jpg

Thanks for any info, and thanks for all of the great knives you and your family have put out over the years!
Mike
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

snorkel wrote:Anyone know anything about the Colonial Knife Company:
http://www.colonialknifecompany.net/

The have a lockback that looks exactly like a schrade LB7 and apparently it's made in the US.

313 Mike wrote:Hey Robert, welcome aboard! I'm a big fan of Colonial knives and look forward to any and all information that you would be willing to share!
This is one of my favorite old Colonials, the serpentine shape, deep blue swirl handles, solid construction, long nail pull...still snaps like a gator after all these years.... Couple of questions for ya if ya don't mind me askin....any idea on timeframe of production on this one? Also, what exactly is the handle material....celluloid? some type of hard plastic? Whatever it is, it has held up really well and shows no signs of deterioration, still vibrant colors too....
The attachment Colonial blue swirl 005.jpg is no longer available
The attachment Colonial blue swirl 006.jpg is no longer available

Thanks for any info, and thanks for all of the great knives you and your family have put out over the years!
Mike
Hello Mike!! I am very new to this site and having a bit of trouble navigating but I'll figure it out. That pretty blue baby is made of Celluliod for sure! We used tons of thi stuff through the years because of it's pretty colors. The only problem with it was that the material was so vollitol, when you drilled it polished or ground it, it would get so hot sometimes it would "IGNITE" right in your hands!! When ever we worked the material in the assembly or finishing room, there was always a bucket of water very close by!! Seriously Mike, Celluliod is almost COMBUSTUABLE!!! That's prbably why they outlawed certain kinds of it. We actually had a cement and cinderblock shed, out in the back or middle yard of the main building where we would store it!! DANGEROUS STUFF, but pretty as hell, as you can see. I also see a straight tang stamp on the blade and that tells me this baby was made probably made late 40's-early 50's. Please feel free to follow my blog since I have written an entire book about the history of Colonial Knife Company called "My Family Business"..!! the blog is: myfamilybusinessbook.com I also have a Twitter account in the works. I am third generation cutler and probably the most knowledgable man alive with almost 40 years in the factory. I hope the info helps and any other questions feel free to ask and I'll do my best to be as acurate as possible.
Attachments
Mike, here's some REAL old Colonial Celluliods, and the round tang stamps says they were made late 30's early 40's !!
Mike, here's some REAL old Colonial Celluliods, and the round tang stamps says they were made late 30's early 40's !!
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

WOW, very cool Joe!

Knice knife garddogg, right from your neck of da woods up dare in Maine, donchaknow.. Oh yessum, by geezum! :wink:
SCOTT

Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Hey Bob

If you stop by and see this maybe you can give me an idea of when it was made I am guessing 50's. It was my grandfathers and I rescaled it with worm grooved bone a while back. It's also posted several pages back in this thread, sorry for the repost everyone, this knife is sentimental and I would like to date it as my Grandad is no longer around to ask when he purchased it.

Main blade= Colonial over Prov. R.I. over Pat.Pend.
Secondary= USA
Attachments
colonial new bone scales 005.JPG
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's an old Colonial with the curved tang stamp....if ya double click the pic you can see it better...I believe this stamp dates it from between 1926--38...? The handle scales are alot like I have on an old Utica and another old Iroquois knife. I like the looks of that curved Colonial stamping, this is the only one I have with that stamp!
Mike
Rome 2 002.jpg
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice Mike! ::tu::
SCOTT

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Here's a pair of Colonial lockbacks, both measure in at 4 " closed and lock up solid as Sears....no idea when these were produced though. Cool old knives both. Anyone know of any other colors...?
Mike
Blac & Yellow Colonial Lockbacks 004.jpg
Blac & Yellow Colonial Lockbacks 001.jpg
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

WOW, never seen those before. Very kool!
SCOTT

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks Scott! I've only ever seen the black and the yellow ones, not sure if they made any other colors. Perhaps if the good Mr RAP is still stopping by here occasionally he could shed some light on these cool old lockbacks....

Mike
Mike

Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Wow Mike, you have been on a Colonial roll lately - nice acquisitions!
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Yes OH,you are correct, I've been lucky enough to pick up some sweet ol' Colonials lately! I've even been able to gift some to family members, and they've been very much appreciated. Nice thing about the Colonials is they can usually be had for pretty cheap, so pickin' up some new knives doesn't have to break the bank....
Mike
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

This mini fish knife just arrived today:
Attachments
lotauctions 104.JPG
lotauctions 105.JPG
SCOTT

knifeaholic
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by knifeaholic »

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-COLONIA ... 327wt_1045

Great old Colonial catalog. Probably 1950's or 60's.
Steve Pfeiffer, author of Collecting Case Knives: Identification and Price Guide published by Krause Publications.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

I know......I saw that :shock: :shock: ::drool:: ::drool::
SCOTT

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Cub Hunter Stag!!!
Attachments
Colonial USA Cub Hunter Fixed Blade Knife 001 - Copy.JPG
SCOTT

313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

I picked up these two Colonial advertising knives, the orange one caught my eye and the white one came along for the ride. Not sure of the time frame, but the phone number on the orange one doesn't have an area code or first three numbers so that should be a clue perhaps...? The orange one is advertising an auto parts buisness, and the white one is advertising some sort of financial services buisness out of Boston. Makes sense that they are both east coast buisness' since Colonial is from Prov RI. They were both lookin' kinda rough when I got them in, but I cleaned 'em up a tad and this is what I've got. I thought they were kinda cool anyways...
Mike
Colonial Ad knives 001.jpg
Colonial Ad knives 002.jpg
Colonial Ad knives 003.jpg
Colonial Ad knives 005.jpg
Mike

TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Knice Mike! ::tu::
SCOTT

Cutty

Post by Cutty »

Does anyone have a listing of Colonial tang stamps for general dating purposes. I have yet to pony up an buy a copy of Goins book. If not is there a resource on here (haven't seen one) or somewhere else on the web?

I have a few and have been looking at others on the bay because they are relatively cheap and have good steel and can be cleaned/carried without really affecting the value IMO. :)
I dig half stops!!

"GOTTA DO WHATCHA GOTTA DO, SO THAT YOU GET TO DO, WHATCHA WANNA DO"
My Grandad.
God rest his soul.

Brian
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Don't know that there is one Cutty. I haven't seen it yet.....
SCOTT

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”