Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Hoyt Buck produced the first Buck Knife in 1902. Hoyt and his son Al moved to San Diego and set up shop as H.H. Buck & Son in 1947. Al Buck revolutionized the knife industry in 1964 with the infamous Model 110 Folding Hunter. The company's innovative history and attention to quality have made for many great collectible knives.
Old Hunter

Re: Whats your newest addition to your Buck family and why?

Post by Old Hunter »

Stopped by Dick's Sporting Goods in Jacksonville NC this past Tuesday to see what new hunting season items had arrived (deer stands, duck decoys, dove shells, etc.) and saw a pretty nice display of Buck Knives (Gerber too). I was looking at a Buck 119 Special when I noticed this 113 Ranger that was on sale; it looked like an open 112 in the package, but it is a fixed blade (nice, short but wide drop point) - nice skinning style with a 112 style handle. I haven't opened it up yet, might save it for one of the great-nephews (if one shows enough "stick to it" when deer hunting with me this season). - or I might open it up and skin one with it myself - time will tell. Old Hunter ('bout ready for some hunting too!)
Attachments
2012-08-16_20-56-32_362.jpg
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

WOW OH as you know I'm a 112 man that is beautiful ::woot:: What is the blade lenth??Is there a sheath??? ::smirk::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
trey

Post by trey »

The orange knife is a Bantam. It is marked 284 (or 264) on the blade. It is the small Bantam.
It opens easily with the thumb studs, it isn't a flipper. I really like it. Can't beat it for $17.00.
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, there is a black leather sheath (it is in the big blister package, behind the knife). I haven't measured it, guess the blade to be no more than 3" - it is out in my shop, will go back out in the morning and measure the blade for you. Let's see if I can find a link on Buck's website to this knife: http://www.buckknives.com/index.cfm?eve ... uctid=3960

0113BRS-B
Ranger Skinner
Overview Tech Specs
Originally created as a limited edition model, the 113 Ranger® Skinner is a stylish and performance oriented combination of Buck?s famous Ranger® and the classic Buck Vanguard®. Streamlined to be smaller, yet designed to be effective, this knife will get any job done in the field. The classic look, ergonomic handle and ease-of-use design guarantee that you will come to rely upon it. This design fills the need for a sturdy, compact knife with a versatile skinning blade.

Made in the USA

Blade Length: 3 1/8" (7.9 cm)
Blade Material: 420HC
Carry System: Black leather sheath
Fixed Blade: Yes
Handle Material: Macassar Ebony Dymondwood
Quantity: Yes
Weight: 5.2 oz. (148 g)
$84.00
Currently Not Available

Buck's website is saying $84.00 - Dick's sale price was $49.97 plus sales tax (cost me $53 and some change). Buck is also saying Currently not Available - that must be because they have shipped truckloads of them to all the Dick's stores - the one I was in had at least a dozen out on display.
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, just for you buddy I went ahead and opened the Buck package up this morning (like I really needed a hard push to do that ::ds:: )! The blade measures just slightly over 3" (3-1/16", but that depends on exactly where you set the ruler with the curved bolster/guard). In my hand the grip is medium sized (I wear XL work gloves), it feels just right with three fingers wrapped around the grip and the pointer finger on the top of the blade - the way you would wield the knife when skinning a deer. I picked through the knives on display at Dick's to find one with "streaky" wood, light and dark streaks that give it character - most of them were very even like the 110 and 112 grips. I think you will like this knife - I am looking forward to skinning out a whitetail to give it a try. Old Hunter

Ps The leather sheath fits the knife nice and tightly; it has a plastic liner sewn into the leather, down in the sheath to protect the stitching from being cut - the knife fits tightly and I think will be secure when carried in the woods.
Attachments
DSC04763.JPG
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Very nice OH ::tu:: Thank U.that 113 looks to be quite like my Olsen skinner.
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

I could almost see myself buying one of those 113s....
Looking for the magic penny!
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Ya JPD I'll own one by deer season ::nod:: ::nod:: ::nod::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg and Dave, I plan to skin and butcher the first deer I shoot this season with my new Buck 113 - I will also put up a review of the event here when it happens (opening day is SAT, 10/13), I will also hunt MON-TUE-WED of that week - unless I get skunked I will have a good idea by then of how well I like it. OH
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Are those dates Bow season?
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, here in the eastern zone of NC we have the longest rifle season in the state (and a bow hunter can hunt in all three seasons with their bow). Here are the 2012 seasons in the eastern zone.
Archery: SEP 8 - SEP 28
Muzzleloader: SEP 29 - OCT 12
Gun: OCT 13 - JAN 1
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, found this one today in a box of Case knives tang dated from 1979 - 1981; antique dealer said they all came from one estate. I am guessing this Buck 309 is from the same era as the Case knives (a month or so back I got a Buck 303 from this same estate). All of the knives are unused, but have some wear marks from being in drawers or boxes without any packaging to preserve them. This 309 is from the pre-dated Buck era as made by Camillus. OH
Attachments
2012-09-26_17-39-41_645.jpg
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN OH she is quite the find ::tu:: I love that main blade ::nod::
Just Plain Dave
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Just Plain Dave »

Long pull flat grind REALLY trips MY trigger!
Looking for the magic penny!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Thanks guys, it is a nicely made but really small knife (3") - it would be perfect in dress slacks for carry while at church, weddings, in a dress uniform, etc. I am building a small assortment of sizes from the Camillus-era, I have these so far: 309, 303, 301, 321, 317. Now I need a Camillus-era Buck that is longer than the 301 and shorter than the 317 - I want to do a "stair-step" photo/display of Camillus-era Bucks - for looks I prefer the flat grind blades too. OH
300Bucks

Post by 300Bucks »

307 Stockman, frequent on the bay......300
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Hey 300B, funny you mention that knife - sat here last night and did ebay and other searches and I came up with several 307 "Wrangler" auctions. I will have something soon. Thanks, OH
stayinsharp

Post by stayinsharp »

I now work in a pawn shop and these two caught my eye. Scored them both for a whopping 15 dollars. The fixed blade is a model 120 and dates from 1988 and the model 110 is as new and has a 2012 mark.
I bought them because I like bowies and the 120 has that style. As for the 110, I recollected tht I had never had one! Here they are now!
Attachments
10-03-12 pics 062.JPG
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

stayinsharp, was that a case of "insider trading"? Great deal! ::tu:: Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
stayinsharp

Post by stayinsharp »

treefarmer wrote:stayinsharp, was that a case of "insider trading"? Great deal! ::tu:: Treefarmer
Uh, yeah it was. I had them priced out and ready to put on display and asked him what kinda deal we could make on them. He asked me what we had in them. I looked it up and we had 5 in the 120 and 8.50 in the 110. He said give me 15 and we'll call it good. Ya gotta love a boss like that!
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Sounds like a great boss to me. I hope the Security and Exchange Commission doesn't learn of your insider trading - you could be in big trouble - of course you could get to know Bernie Madoff! Very nice Buck knives and a terrific deal - nice snag! OH
Beechtree

Post by Beechtree »

Here is a very pretty fixed blade 102 a friend gave me recently.
Attachments
IMG_1261.jpg
IMG_1262.jpg
"A tool is but an extension of a man's hand." -Henry Ward Beecher
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

Thats a nice set-up Beechtree ::tu::
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

I'm with you Dogg; Beechtree's 102 is a classy knife - the wood handle with brass hardware is hard to beat for good looks.
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

OH;Did ya get to put the 113 to a deer yet??

Return to “Buck Knife Collector's Forum”