Buck 113

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
Old Hunter

Buck 113

Post by Old Hunter »

I bought a Buck 113 this past August at Dick's Sporting Goods in Jacksonville NC. I had been looking at the fixed blade 113 for a least a year - I liked the blade design for a deer skinner but was unsure of the size of the grip (about equal in size and style to a Buck 112 Lock-back). I was afraid it might be a little too small and thus uncomfortable to grip while cleaning one or two whitetails. Today I got my chance, dropped a 100 lb.+ whitetail doe at 0748 - got it to the cleaning rack by 0900 and got started with the 113.

First let me state - my fear of the handle design being too small was unfounded - this is a very comfortable knife to grip while skinning and while cutting meat off the bone. The blade design is terrific; I discovered long ago that short is good when skinning the smaller sized big game such as whitetail deer. The blade worked nicely while skinning, the deep belly is nice for curving cuts while separating the hide from the animal and it worked equally well while removing back straps, tenderloin, as well as the hams and shoulders. The blade kept a keen edge for the entire process - I didn't touch it up at all, wanting to know how quickly it would dull - it is still sharp enough to start another cleaning job and probably sharp enough to do the entire job without being touched up.

I will definitely place the coveted "Old Hunter's stamp of approval" on the Buck 113 - I give this one a "go buy it" recommendation if you are a big game hunter. Even if you are not a big game hunter this is a cool looking skinning knife. Old Hunter
Attachments
2012-10-16_07-59-07_548.jpg
2012-10-16_09-47-37_966.jpg
Buck 113 (3).JPG
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Buck 113

Post by TripleF »

Knice review Bruce!! ::tu:: ::tu::

Knife harvest.

Time for some back strap boogy! ::ds::
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

MAN OH;That 113 is going to look good with a 112 ::nod:: Congrats on the Doe ::tu:: nice review Bud ,are the handles sealed so the blood won't soak in??By the way I DON'T UNDER STAND why all those hunter use those big honking knived to me they just get in the way then I have to laugh when they use them to gut a deer all I use is a 303 Buck or a 34ot Schrade to gut a deer and a Schrade 158 or a 125ot to skin a deer ::shrug::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

OH, buy the way that 113 is quite like my Olsen skinner ::nod::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
Old Hunter

Post by Old Hunter »

Dogg, the handles on the 113 appear to be sealed - you will note that water is beaded up on the wood and on the metal in my picture. I spray the deer and my knife frequently with fresh water while I clean a deer - helps keep the yellow jackets and the blow flies off the meat and it keeps fat and gunk from building up on the knife. That is another reason I love a stainless steel knife for skinning deer. By the way, I carried an Old Timer 8OT USA in my front pocket today (bought it recently from Scott/Triple F) - it got the honor of notching my tag! OH
Deep in the guts of most men is buried the involuntary response to the hunter's horn, a prickle of the nape hairs, an acceleration of the pulse, an atavistic memory of his fathers, who killed first with stone, and then with club...Robert Ruark

Return to “General Knife Discussion”