A few old Cripple Creeks

Bob Cargill is the man behind the Cripple Creek Knife Brand. He started out making one of a kind custom knives and eventually started making special order runs by hand under the Cripple Creek name in 1981. He specialized in high quality hand made limited runs for clubs and organizations. The brand was later sold to Blackjack Knives of Effingham, IL who commissioned Queen Cutlery to produce them in larger quantities.
bkazz5

A few old Cripple Creeks

Post by bkazz5 »

I’ve been collecting Cripple Creeks for a while and thought I would revive this forum. Here are a few pictures to get us started. Let me see some other pictures or share some other stories about your Cripple Creeks.
Attachments
CC knives.jpg
003.jpg
White Hawk.jpg
basser5

Re: A few old Cripple Creeks

Post by basser5 »

Fantastic Stags ::tu:: ::tu::

Thanks for showing them!

Tim
My name is Tim and i'm a stagoholic.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Thanks. The thing I like about Cripple Creeks is that essenially every knife is a one of a kind. Also, just to keep the record straight, the picture of the white hawk with the oak leaf shield is not the actual picture of the one I have.
Aimus Moses

Post by Aimus Moses »

That's a Cripple Creek jackpot you have there. ::tu:: I really like the Cripple Creek knives. If you don't mind me asking, whats the closed length on the White Hawk with the Oak Leaf shield? Thanks for sharing and showing your Cripple Creek knives. Please show some more. I know other AAPK members have some Cripple Creek knives because I've seen them on other posts. Maybe they will post pictures of them here on the Cripple Creek thread.

Aimus
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Thanks. I'll get back to you on the length of the White Hawk. I've been collecting for many years without any real direction. Just getting what ever caught my eye and storing them away. For the past several years however I have narrowed down my focus to Cripple Creeks and Colonel Coons. Would love to see some more pictures of either. Also, always in the market to add a few more to my collection.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Hey Aimus, closed length on the White Hawk is right at 3.5 inches. Here’s a few more pics of a couple of my favorite whittlers. The red/honey bone is an 83’ and marked PROTO. Check out the width of the master blade. Nearly a ¼ wide at the tang. The stag whittler is an 87.
Attachments
2012-10-18_22-01-32_644.jpg
1350611888375.jpg
1350611888375.jpg (19.24 KiB) Viewed 12279 times
2012-10-18_21-59-05_910.jpg
2012-10-18_22-05-10_228.jpg
basser5

Post by basser5 »

AWESOME whittlers ::tu:: ::tu::
I love that big ole fat spine on them! And that stag........... ::drool::

Tim
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Does anyone remember the Cripple Creek knife from the late 80's / early 90's. I think it was called the "barrel knife" or something like that. It was a white handled knife with blades coming out of the top, bottom, left, and right side. I'm sure it was a limited edition, but I've never seen or heard about it again. I know at the time it was a big deal, because my grandfather told me to go look at it.

I was very young, and I remember standing in front of Cargill's table at a knife show in Louisville, and staring at that knife for probably 5 minutes. Finally he stood up and picked the knife up off the table and gave it to me to hold and look at. I remember being very intimidated by him, he never smiled, and just seemed to be all business. But he still made a memory for me. I handed it back to him and he put it back on his display and I moved along to another table.
basser5

Post by basser5 »

Here ya go Rookie.............

http://bobcargillknives.com/2.html

Tim
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

Rookie wrote:Does anyone remember the Cripple Creek knife from the late 80's / early 90's. I think it was called the "barrel knife" or something like that. It was a white handled knife with blades coming out of the top, bottom, left, and right side. I'm sure it was a limited edition, but I've never seen or heard about it again. I know at the time it was a big deal, because my grandfather told me to go look at it.

I was very young, and I remember standing in front of Cargill's table at a knife show in Louisville, and staring at that knife for probably 5 minutes. Finally he stood up and picked the knife up off the table and gave it to me to hold and look at. I remember being very intimidated by him, he never smiled, and just seemed to be all business. But he still made a memory for me. I handed it back to him and he put it back on his display and I moved along to another table.
The best that I recall , it was a "one of a kind" and I believe that the last time it changed hands it sold for twenty some hundred dollars ! ::woot::
Bob
Rookie
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Rookie »

Wow, yes that is the one. Amazing that he let an 8 year old even touch it. I can't even imagine how much time and effort went into both the design, and then the manufacturing.
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

Hey bk

The stag folding hunter is that a sanchum, I have the other two in the series but the folding hunter has always aluded capture. Either I didn't have the cash or the asking price was outrageous. I will get some pictures of my collection. I think I am going to be laid off next week

Until next time
Shane
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

The stag hunter is a sachem. I also have the honey bone gunstock but have not been able to acquire the sachem stag barlow. I you have one you want to part with let me know.
little nick

Post by little nick »

HERES A FEW MORE FOR YOUR VIEWING PLEASURE
Attachments
2004_0120sachem10001.JPG
2004_0120sachem10007.JPG
2004_0110oakleafcokebottle0008.JPG
knife show 2011 knives 004.JPG
2004_0117barlowset00050010.JPG
pearl  set  of  10  cripple creek  knives 011.jpg
2004_01103backspringwhittler0002.JPG
2004_011087stagwhittler0001.JPG
2004_011087stagwhittler0003.JPG
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Wow Little Nick that's a nice bunch of Cripple Creeks. Love that Cargill Sod Buster. Are you still adding to your collection or are you letting some of them go?
little nick

Post by little nick »

::super_happy:: Only one I own is the soddy all the others I only own the pics lol!! :oops:
DR_MAGOO

Post by DR_MAGOO »

Fine knives being shown. Them pearls are super.
soulmanticore

Post by soulmanticore »

That has got to be the sweetest set of the ten Indians around. Are they all the same year?
Bobby Branton

Post by Bobby Branton »

Nice group. I love Cripple Creek knives. I had a large collection and had to sell them off due to an illness, but I am back up to about 30 again. I have 6-7 hard to find pearls.
Bobby Branton

Post by Bobby Branton »

Here are a few nice stag Cripple Creeks from my collection. Sorry for the blurry pic. This was taken a few years back.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Nice collection. PM sent.
bkazz5

Post by bkazz5 »

Here are a couple of early Buffalo Skinners. One has a large etch on the blade and the other a smaller etch. Always wondered if there was any significance between the large and small etch?
Attachments
Buffalo Skinners.jpg
Buffalo Skinners.jpg (15.52 KiB) Viewed 8889 times
Bobby Branton

Post by Bobby Branton »

A few more.

Bobby Branton

Post by Bobby Branton »

This displayed was broken by UPS enroute to my home.
I almost cried.
BB

MikeB

Post by MikeB »

Here is the only Cripple Creek in my collection from 1985

Mike
Mike

Return to “Cripple Creek”