fishing

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
dobro59

fishing

Post by dobro59 »

Reading vikingdog's post made me think of my dad.He's been gone 23yrs.
The first time my dad took me and my brother trotlining:Dad had a 59 chevy impala that we tied a homemade wooden 12 foot jon boat on top of.Being that it was Friday dad had worked all day,so we got to the watershed lake at about 9:00 pm.He said he was tired so we would just go to sleep and hit it in the morning.Dad slept in the front seat, my brother and myself, got our sleeping bags and slept on the hood of the car which was cool because the boat stuck out over the hood of the car.We woke up bright and early and hit it hard,working the rip-rap dam area with beetlespins and minnows.We caught several bass and crappie good keepin' size.They quit biting about 10 am.We ate breakfast then and right after we cleaned what we had caught that morning,put them in ice chest.Dad said boys lets go jerk some perch,we said what for we got all those bass and crappie.Trotline bait boys was the reply.We went to overflow of the lake and tied on the smallest hooks we had.Dad said don't put a whole worm on,just a pinch will do.Well we loaded that fishbasket down with perch,every size and color.Dad knew all the different types of perch,bluegill,pumpkinseed,goggleye,etc.That evening we stretched the trotline and baited it. We had to check it every two hours. The first time we ran it, there was about a 12 pound channel cat, and I kept lifting it until only his tail was left in the water. He gave a twist and he was gone. My dad called me everything but a white man, but I've never lost another one off of a trot line to this day! Oh,we caught a lot more catfish that trip.Also we learned to row a boat and that a wooden boat in the water for 48hrs takes all 3 of you to load back up.Me and my brother,11 and 12,had unloaded it.
The last time I went fishing with my dad I skunked him. I was razzing him about it, and he simply said, "I've succeded....I've tried for 30 years to make a fisherman out of you." I guess I finally cut the mustard.
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: fishing

Post by philco »

That sir, is a fantastic story. Thank you for sharing it with us. :)
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by orvet »

Awesome story!
Reminds me of a few of my own.... :wink:
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

“In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” - George Orwell
treefarmer
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by treefarmer »

dobro59,
That's what makes great stories, great memories with one's family!
Treefarmer

A GUN IN THE HAND IS BETTER THAN A COP ON THE PHONE.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...........great story, thanks for posting it!!!!!.................. ::tu:: ........................

Return to “Mostly True Stories”