Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Colonial Knife was incorporated in 1926 by three brothers; Antonio, Domenic, & Fredrick Paolantonio. It grew to become one of the largest pocket knife manufacturers in the US during the 1960s. The company shut down in 1998, but was back into production under the Colonial Cutlery International Corporation in 2001. Colonial Cutlery International, Inc. brand is the imported line of knives and tools while the U.S.A.- made products fall under the Colonial Knife brand.
knifetime

Re: Colonial Knife Company Collector's Forum

Post by knifetime »

You got a nice minty one there Joe. ::tu::
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thank you Joe; he shows a Ranger Grade Clonial Swiss # 2006....

OK aaron1956, back to your four swiss knife photo...we've already knocked off
the import bottom left, and the Colonial # 4804 to the right.... :lol: :lol:
The top right has a double sized cork screw and bulging blades that are not consistant with the Colonial swiss line that Joe has a perfect example of....the gold colored swiss cross stamp is also suspect, and not a Colonial knife...
The top right is also suspect and I will prove it's not a Colonial by the catalogue page your about to see... ::paranoid:: ::paranoid::
So many things I see...It is a very close # 2003 but the belt clip ring is too small to be a Colonial, and is on the wrong side!! The handle stamp is also wrong, UNLESS, this is one of the Colonials that slipped through before Victorionox spoke up ::dang:: ::shrug::

The first pic is an official Vict. the next pic is Colnial's catalogue...

We gents, here's the last catalogue pic from Colonial's 1995 copy....let's take a vote??
Let's see the tang stamp on the top right knife!!
Aurthor Bach was right!! "Isn't fun the best thing to have"
Bobby P. CKCo...
Attachments
CCF11012013_00000.jpg
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Here's the catalogue page...
Attachments
CCF11012013_00000.jpg
aaron1956

Post by aaron1956 »

Bonfire bob wrote:And, our friend aaron1956, displays an old Colonial Swiss Master, and the Carbon steel blades tell a tale alone. This was our # 4804 and was "king of the hill" and our best swiss knife for years UNTILL, we spent a few bucks and re-designed it into the # 2000 series Swiss Ranger Line..First of all, the whole line had stainless blades, aluminum liners, and the hide away style assembly rivets!!

The controversy involving this line is known to very few people.. ::mdm:: ::mdm::
Colonial's first Hot Die Stamp of the famous "Swiss type" cross that we know so well on the famous Victorian name company..
Sooooo because of legal matter's with THEM, we had to change our logo !! ::dang:: ::td::

Now about this four block of mysteries, except for that crummy Chinese or, you know down on the lower left, just take him out of the equation.. The bottom right is our # 4804 already discussed but the other two..mmmm...I going to get back to you on those before I give you my honest, authentic opinion for sure...
If you wouldn't mind sir we'd ALL like to see the tang's on these two, unless it's a test so give me an hour or so...K???

I couldn't help but notice that your missing the bail on your big swiss knife and if you'd like, I think I still have a few kicken' around here, I'll send you one or two.( in case you screw up the first one)..Just be carefull squeezing on th bail and keep it straight..
Your mailing address is all I need; send to bonfirebob11@cox.net...ya owe me a beer when I see you some time..Phill owes me one also!! ::handshake:: ::tu::
Bobby P. CKCo....
Sorry if I caused any confusion here! I posted the pic of all four knives simply because I took a pic of some of my knives of that style (including the cheap Chinese which I don't even know where I got!)
The top two are SAK'S. I will send closeups of the tangs if you want. You may be able to see them in this pic of my SAK's.

As soon as I post these, I will post a few pics and a video of two more I picked up at an antique shop today. I think both are pretty cool. I will post them under the Q and A section and hope I get some input!

Bonfirebob, I will send you my address and definitely buy you a beer!
Attachments
029.JPG
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Thanks aaron! Around here we don't call that confusion, we consider it a test of my ability
to identify Colonial's all the time! I consider it an honor for collector's to show me their
knives and especially if there is any doubt about a knife's origin. ::nod::

Just to help identify things like the swiss cross, I showed a pic of a Victorinox, which has just one vertical and one horizontal line, where as the Colonial's have TWO verticals and one horiz... ::hmm::
Very nice little swiss display my friend!!
Any time I can help, I'm here!! ::tu:: ::tu::
Bobby P. CFE...

PLEASE forgive my spelling folks!! You can tell when I'm tired and I spell Colonial wrong!!! ::facepalm:: ::facepalm:: haha...
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hey Bobby how are ya.
Does the words " STAR RAT KILLS BEAVER FALLS PA." On the handle of a Colonial forest master ring any bell's for you?
Thanks in advance for any help.
-"...and he that cleaveth wood shall be endangered thereby If the iron be blunt,and he do not whet the edge,then must he put to more strength....Ecclesiastes 10 10 ;So the good book says
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

No it doesn't...but the ad spec. business was incredible for
years and as much as I can and did, keep track of models and stock number's,
of all production runs, it was IMPOSSIBLE to keep track of advertising logo's. ::shrug::
You have my undevided attention now Phill, and I have many questions....
What was the handle material, and obviously a picture paints a thousand words so
as soon as you are able, let's see some pics.... ::hmm:: ::hmm::

Keep me updated with more info....
Bob P. CKCo..
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I'll git right on it Bobby. I don't have the knife,it is a buds knife and he was telling me about it over the phone. From what he told me it has metal bolsters and the plastic handles. I will be up to his house in a few days and I will git some pics for us all to look at.
I have Googled it backwards and forwards to no end. It was just such a strange adeverticment etch it got my interest also.
Once again,thanks Bobby. ::handshake::
sharpen your knife !!!
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hey Bobby knifeknut just posted a cool one and I new you would want to check it out so I grabbed the pic to post hear.
You guy's made a little of everything over the years. I thought this was very cool.

Bobby one more question for you. How many Forrest Master's did you guys make with just 3 blades .ie no punch,stamped PALCO,Worc,USA.
Attachments
saln.jpg
saln.jpg (29.08 KiB) Viewed 14847 times
aefc.jpg
aefc.jpg (26.96 KiB) Viewed 14847 times
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Phill, nice H-1 Hatchet; produced from the early 60's and up to about
the mid 70's...it initially came with a hatchet head leather sheath...I might have
some.. ::hmm:: ::hmm::

To answer your question about PALCO. Worc. THIS WAS NOT A COLONIAL KNIFE!!
I have no info on Colonial making anything in Worc. ever! I've seen some samples and
they are NOT ours for sure.... ::shrug::

Bob P. CKCo...
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hello Bobster how are you.
The hatchet belongs to knifeknut and I'm sure he would love to git hold of a original case for it. I will pm him and tell him to talk with you about it.
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Sounds great pal; I'll start the cellar search ASAP.. ::tu::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Hear is that Forrest Master with the PALCO stamp.

I have the other Forest Master n hand,the one with the "star kills rat Beaver Falls PA " on the shield instead of Forrest Master. I will git some pics tomorrow. It has the Colonial,prov,USA tang stamp and is mint. I'm going to have to trade him out of this one,lol.

BTW- I sent you a PM bud.
Attachments
$(KGrHqJ,!qgFJd6l2lNeBSb,qYbboQ~~60_57.JPG
$(KGrHqR,!qQFJVzMVZ7vBSb,qt0Trg~~60_57.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey man; it's a nice knife but still, not a Colonial!
The first sign is the Palco stamp AND, where's the belt punch?? ::shrug::
Colonial never made a Forest Master without some form of belt punch..
Bob P. CKCo...
I'll check out your PM now, Thanks..
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

That was one of the questions I had Bobby,were is that darn punch? Lol
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Joe, it looks kind of funny without the belt punch!! :o
Still a nice knife Phill...he bud, your PM came through as an "unknown file"???
Just mail me at bonfirebob11@cox.net..
Bob P. CKCo..
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

Thanks buddy.
Hey Bobby hear is that Star,Kills,Rat knife we talked about it has the Colonial,prov,USA stamp.
Attachments
IMAG0596.JPG
IMAG0598.JPG
sharpen your knife !!!
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Oh man...where did you ever find this??!! ::pray::
I would kindly ask you to please take as many pics as you can of the FM knife.
I'll give the first tip about this item guys...LOOK..no center pin..hmm
This is extrodinary my friend and I have some research to do and by the same token Phil, I can't express what it would feel and look like in my hand!! Even good close pics don't tell the entire story sometimes. I don't want you to send it to me but some good close shots of the insides and outs would work just fine. I'll give you an idea of what I mean..I'd look for the following..

All blades completely open and to check the walk and talk, and to see enough space was provided to have the blades NOT rub or hit. Then I would inspect the grinding, hefting of the bolster's, how well the ends were done, check the inside frame for finish, check the backs and see how straight they were, the center rivet needs a close look cause lots of fragile handles would crack here if too much stress is applied with the center pin being the last assembly stage...that's just a start..so much to inspect...INSATIABLE CURIOSITY..
I'll be back after some thought...Bob. P CFE.. ::tu::
knifetime

Post by knifetime »

I will git right on it Bob. I did not notice that center pin,or the lake of one, until you brought it up,good eye my friend.
I can tell you that it is nr mint and all blades walk and talk like New. It has never been sharpened or used.
Figuring out the history is as much fun as getting the knife Bobby,thanks to your help. ::tu::
sharpen your knife !!!
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Great knife, knifetime! Only the 2nd one I have ever seen. The other one was pretty much ragged out...

Hey Bobby, what was the total production No.s of the Heritage knives you made? I can't find even 1 of them for sale!!

Here's are a couple Colonial to be ID.

.... Joe
Attachments
Colonial 001.JPG
Colonial 002.JPG
Colonial 003.JPG
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Hey Phil, my new best friend!! lol..
Just so you know, it's new and never been sharpened is a sign to me and most collector's.
It's been very well polished and NEVER re-sharpened my friend.
Don't feel bad at all pal; this is a common practice amongst knife people because putting an incredible edge on a blade takes a trained eye and keen ability's...
I am guilty of this myself but it's no discrace! Some pieces are finished beautifully and trying to put a nice edge on any knife is an art in itself!!
If Colonial or Heritage were still up and running, I would invite you down to show you how it's done right, and would stand behind my wheel work, 110% !
I have a lot to say about this knife and it's origin and hate to bore people; maybe that's my lot in life..I happen to enjoy any info I can with all my friends here at AAPK....

Here is a catalogue photo of Colonial's last "Forest Master" item and keep in mind the blade configuration....
This discusion about this knife will definately involve several post's so hang in there folks....
Colonial Knife Company, Catalogue circa 1995, and the last one we ever printed...
Bob P. CFE, CKCo...
BTW,... blades and springs anyone???
Attachments
my work bench ad J.K.'s refurb Old Cutler 028.jpg
CCF11052013_00000.jpg
Joe Dirt

Post by Joe Dirt »

Man what a pile of blades and springs, Bobby! Those are for the stockmans aren't they?

ps - I just posted a couple of pics on the bottom of the last page - you must have been typing away. I'll re-post um here
so they can be seen.

EDIT: Hey Bobby, what was the total production No.s of the Heritage knives you made? I can't find even 1 of them for sale!!

.... Joe
Attachments
Tiny pen jack
Tiny pen jack
Colonial 002.JPG
Easy Open 1 blade jack
Easy Open 1 blade jack
I've got a camouflage knife, but I can't find it.......

..... cardboard addicted.....

"The old timer's concentrated on making knives; not keeping records!!" ~ Bonfire bob
bdev

Post by bdev »

Here's two I received today.
I'd love more info on the 4" jack. Looks like stainless but not sure.
Is there a model number? When was it manufactured?
Thanks......Bruno
Attachments
colonial jack.jpg
colonial advert.jpg
Queen City. My favorite! Bruno. ::tu::
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

Correct Joe, medium stockmans for the most part....butt springs, double ended butt springs, master blades, spey and sheep foot blades... ::doh:: ::doh::
AND your pretty # 4120 Slim Jim....nice pics ..about early 60's for this little baby...
bdev shows two nice old Colonials.. a # 4602 with square bolster's and an ad specialty favorite, and I saw so many of these's in my days I forget the Number!! ::facepalm::

Joe, to answer your question about Heritage total production in it's 4 year existance..
With the exception of the 5 thousand for Smith and Wesson, about 4-5 thousand in multiple handle materials and private labels....Stodards in Boston, Mass. was a big buyer,
along with "Smokey Mountain Knife Works", and my old friend Kevin Pipes... ::groove::

Bob. P. CKCo., CFE..
Bonfire bob

Post by Bonfire bob »

I am going to make an offer you can't refuse...
Contact me and if you are so driven about Colonial's history, fly or train your way down to Providence, R.I., and since I am in contact with the real estate company that currently owns the property, I will get permission to go through the old factory, but with obvious security backup, because this is not the garden spot of Rhode Island...
Just so you know, the price of this property is 1 Million $$...we're not going to buy it, just walk through and video tape it....
Very strong high intensity flood lights will be needed and I will take you for a tour and a video recording of the events would be more than satisfactory......

As strange as this sounds, it's an honest offer with no bullshit involved....
Sorry to be blunt but I'm an honest man and always will be.....

Robert Anthony Paolantonio, Colonial Knife Company, CFE....
"Official Business"..

Return to “Colonial Knife Collector's Forum”