Traveling in France

This forum is to share stories that are meaningful, or entertaining. The posts can be original stories, stories passed down in a family or a region, they could be based on a person's experience, childhood, or basically on anything. They could even be fictional, or humorous, so long as they are stories.
orvet
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Traveling in France

Post by orvet »

Three or four years ago a friend of mine of, an expatriated German now a proud US citizen, was traveling in France with his wife. They were staying in a small village and the people asked, “Oh are you here for the religious festival tomorrow?”
My friend, knowing that the French people are not very religious in the best of times thought this was strange, but they figured they might as well attend since they were there. As it turns out the Muslims were scheduled to have a day of prayer the following day in the same streets there the ‘religious festival’ was being held.

Knowing the French people pretty well my friend was puzzled by the wine tasting. The wine was bad cheap wine, basically grocery store box wine. The French villagers are swirling the wine around in their glasses, swishing it around in their mouth, then spitting it on the ground and dumping the remainder of the glass in the streets. No one was drinking the cheap wine, but they were moving from booth to booth and repeating the process. In between they were stopping to eat fat pork sausages. The sausages were so fatty my friend said the pork fat was running down the gutters of the village. In the middle of the festival the local Catholic priest came parading through the village with a small bucket of Holy Water and he was blessing the ground, the people, the wine and sausages, really splashing Holy Water all over the village.

The Muslims cancelled their day of prayer scheduled for the next day.

The French villagers had learned the three things the Muslims detest most, pork, alcohol and anything to do with Christianity!
My respect for the French went up about three levels!
We could learn from them!
Dale
AAPK Administrator

Please visit my AAPK store: www.allaboutpocketknives.com/orvet

Job 13:15

"Buy more ammo!" - Johnnie Fain
“Evil is Powerless If The Good are Unafraid.” – Ronald Reagan
tjmurphy

Re: Traveling in France

Post by tjmurphy »

Thanks Dale. ::tu:: I love a story with a happy ending!! ::tu:: ::tu::
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
royal0014
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by royal0014 »

::clapping:: ::clapping:: ::tu::
Might be some hope for the frenchies after all! Love it!
Chris
i woke last night to the sound of thunder
how far off i sat and wondered
started humming a song from nineteen sixty two
aint it funny how the night moves
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

............after spending nearly 2 years over there(aug. 1960- feb. 1962), I am really surprised at this story!!!.......maybe there is hope for them!!!!!........................... ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ............................
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

The key word in that story is "Village".

Think small town America.

Charlie
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter

Return to “Mostly True Stories”