My First Straight Razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
JWheeler331

My First Straight Razor

Post by JWheeler331 »

Well, lately I have been looking for a straight razor. I want to start using one but my first straight razor is more of a collectible, for me.

For a long time now I have collected Case XX knives and also western movie stars autographs. I have lots of 1950-Current Western movie stars autographs.

What I didn't have was a Case XX razor so that is what I was browsing through last night. Well I stumbled upon something that tied the two collections together perfectly. I found an auction that is being ran by John Hart's long time agent and friend. John Hart played the Lone Ranger for a while. I have Clayton Moore's autograph which is obviously who most people associate the Lone Ranger as.

In this auction is a Case XX straight razor owned by John Hart along with a letter from his wife stating that it was in fact his. It also comes with a personal check that John Hart wrote out signed by Mr. Hart and a certificate of authenticity.

I felt it was priced good enough for me to snatch it up as another autograph for my western collection, another Case XX for my collection and my first straight razor.

I don't know nor am I too concerned about monetary value of this razor. I just wanted it. That said if anyone can give me any info on the actual razor I would appreciate it. These are all the pics I have for now till it comes in but maybe they will help someone with more knowledge than I, to be able to tell me more about it.

Here are a few photos from the auction.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Re: My First Straight Razor

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

::hmm::

Not a razor collector, but I'm pretty sure that one was made by Griffon Cutlery Works in MA.
They were in business from the late 20's till the mid 60's. My guess on yours would be 40's-50's.
Probably make a great user and it's history is pretty cool too.

Hope I didn't burst your bubble, nice looking razor at any rate.

WB
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

I think that is just the box. The actual razor says W.R. Case.

Just realized that I didn't post the tang photos.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
whitebuffalo58

Post by whitebuffalo58 »

Ahhh, I see. Read the razor, not the box! ::dang:: I stand corrected, sir.

Nice razor with a fun history. Enjoy and congrats! ::tu::

WB
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Very cool! The razor and the history!

If you don't know how, send it out to a good razor guy to get it shave ready and I bet it'll be a great shaver!
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Colonel26 wrote:Very cool! The razor and the history!

If you don't know how, send it out to a good razor guy to get it shave ready and I bet it'll be a great shaver!

Do you have any recommendations on a guy to send it too? I have never honed one myself and I would not want to hurt the character on this one in any way.
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Colonel26 wrote:Very cool! The razor and the history!

Thanks.
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

whitebuffalo58 wrote:Ahhh, I see. Read the razor, not the box! ::dang:: I stand corrected, sir.

Nice razor with a fun history. Enjoy and congrats! ::tu::

WB

Yeah, I guess they just had this box or for whatever reason it was in this box so that is what its coming in.
JWheeler331

Post by JWheeler331 »

Got the razor in today. I like it.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

Im a collecter , some 100 plus or so , personally , I would not use it , because it belonged to the " Lone Ranger "
I would frame the collection of razor and paperwork as a great conversation piece , and hold its value .
but thats just my opinion.
Brian

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”