Wade & Butcher for barbers use

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
Umcknifeguy

Wade & Butcher for barbers use

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Here's my latest snag....it's a little over 1" wide these give an awsome shave just like I've always heard.
Attachments
1207152203.jpg
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Jaredc911

Re: Wade & Butcher for barbers use

Post by Jaredc911 »

Love it. Buffalo horn scales
Umcknifeguy

Post by Umcknifeguy »

Yes sir nice buffalo horn scales. They are warped out a little...very typical on these heavy blades due to the weight of the spine closing in between the horn. Still a nice razor overall
Sometimes nothing can be a real cool hand.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Kind of fun letting one of those beasts plow through the whiskers ain't it?

I think I'm up to 5 usable that are 8/8 or more. Don't use 'em very often but when I do, I enjoy it. A while back I was trimming above my 'stache with one and it got a bit deep. Narrowed the old 'stache down a bit when I had to trim the other side to match.

Did the same thing two nights ago with a Robeson 5/8 square point that took a stellar edge. That damn thing is amazing. But it's a 5/8 full hollow and I really don't care for the racket those things make. LOL

Yours looks like a nice one. ::tu::
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

This one is an 8/8 "FOR BARBERS USE". Doesn't say W&B on the tang but I'd bet the farm it came from W&B.
It's a smooth shaving SOB.
H&J W King, New York
Attachments
KING 002.jpg
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
Colonel26
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Colonel26 »

Those are some extra nice shavers, both of them! ::tu::
“There are things in the old Book which I may not be able to explain, but I fully accept it as the infallible word of God, and receive its teachings as inspired by the Holy Spirit.”
Robert E. Lee
Brian Flowers

Post by Brian Flowers »

Nice score , is the word Germany on the tang , if so , post 1891 , if not , pre 1891 .
i collect straights , some 100 plus or so , i have 6 Wade & Butcher straights , all pre 1891 , have that one .
also known as a " chopper " hence the wide blade , the curve on the end of the blade is a " Barbers Notch "
notch was used very close to the nostril allowing a very close shave under the nose .
Brian
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

Brian Flowers wrote:Nice score , is the word Germany on the tang , if so , post 1891 , if not , pre 1891 .
i collect straights , some 100 plus or so , i have 6 Wade & Butcher straights , all pre 1891 , have that one .
also known as a " chopper " hence the wide blade , the curve on the end of the blade is a " Barbers Notch "
notch was used very close to the nostril allowing a very close shave under the nose .
Brian
Wade & Butcher is an old Sheffield house. Guarantee those razors were made before 1891. ;)
cody6268

Post by cody6268 »

I wonder how many barbers still use a true straight razor? I know mine uses a semi-true straight razor, in that it's a straight razor handle, but accepts single edge blades. And might I add--my barber is truly the last old barbershop in the area still run by the original founders, well two of them.
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

cody6268 wrote:I wonder how many barbers still use a true straight razor? I know mine uses a semi-true straight razor, in that it's a straight razor handle, but accepts single edge blades. And might I add--my barber is truly the last old barbershop in the area still run by the original founders, well two of them.
Health laws prohibit using "old straights" on multiple customers. In the late 19th and early 20th centuries, men would leave their razor, mug, soap, and brush at their barber's for when they wanted a shave. If you want to be shaved with a real razor, take one of yours and I'm sure they would be delighted to give you a shave.

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”