Bulldog S&D ID?

A place to discuss & share pictures of knives made in Europe.
J-ROB

Bulldog S&D ID?

Post by J-ROB »

Can anybody identify this Bulldog by catalog Number? Seems to my untutored self to be a 1st gen Bulldog.

Blade Etch: Our Best S&D. Spey blade has English 1985 Steel on pile side of tang Clip has Bulldog stamp and S&D Cut Co Hammer Forged Solingen Germany.

Probably the nicest made knife in my collection of nicely-made German knives. Super gnarly stag covers.
I usually tote wood handled or bone German traditional patters. This one is too nice to carry for me!
IMG_1878[1].JPG

IMG_1879[1].JPG
robinetn

Re: Bulldog S&D ID?

Post by robinetn »

1st gen. BKC #335 (192 made in 1985). Regular issue .
Bob
J-ROB

Post by J-ROB »

Many thanks, Bob!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

" Regular issue" ?
Were there some first gen. Bulldogs that are 'Special' issue ?
I read a post years ago that said the "S & D" Bulldogs are nothing special, that this etch was placed on a few regular run Bulldogs to increase their value. Perhaps this was in speaking of BD knives when owned by Mr. Parker ?
kj
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

kootenay joe wrote:" Regular issue" ?
Were there some first gen. Bulldogs that are 'Special' issue ?
I read a post years ago that said the "S & D" Bulldogs are nothing special, that this etch was placed on a few regular run Bulldogs to increase their value. Perhaps this was in speaking of BD knives when owned by Mr. Parker ?
kj
I'm not sure that I understand the question , but I will attempt an answer . Reg. issue refers to any standard production of a normal quantity of a particular style (any where from 100 or so to more than 400) . They never made any "special" issue as such , but many times Charlie had knives made during a regular run in very small quantities that would have different handle material or blade etch or no etch at all . Most of this info is found in a catalog compiled by Tony Foster in 1990 . I cannot speak to any of the Bulldog production after Parker bought the brand from Charlie .
Bob
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Thank you Bob. That does answer my question. So the early BD knives that are a little different are ones from a regular run that got 'enhanced' rather than coming from a separate 'special' run. That is what i was asking about.
kj
robinetn

Post by robinetn »

kootenay joe wrote:Thank you Bob. That does answer my question. So the early BD knives that are a little different are ones from a regular run that got 'enhanced' rather than coming from a separate 'special' run. That is what i was asking about.
kj
That's a good way to put it Joe . ::nod::
Bob
Gayle1958

Post by Gayle1958 »

I'm curious as to what the S&D stands for. I remember the first ads for BD back in the early 80s. Don't recall ever seeing who or what S&D stood for. I just saw an S&D BD on eBay a guy is wanting a whole pIle of money for. He says it's a one of a kind.
K3XR

Post by K3XR »

New to the site hope this info helps. Going from memory in the early 80's had a collection which I sold of Bulldogs and as I recall S & D stood for S&D Cutlery which I think was in Kentucky possibly Ohio and was one of the dealers in Bulldogs had several with S&D on the blades. Still have a Bulldog collection just not the same one from the 80's.
emzornes

Post by emzornes »

S&D was for S&D Cut Co. that I think use to be in Manchester Ohio on some of the knives they did say Maysville Kentucky though probably because Maysville was the biggest town close to them. S&D I think was a hardware store that sold knives I think most were produced before Parker got a hold of the company in the 90s but not 100% on that.
K3XR

Post by K3XR »

emzornes wrote: Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:00 am S&D was for S&D Cut Co. that I think use to be in Manchester Ohio on some of the knives they did say Maysville Kentucky though probably because Maysville was the biggest town close to them. S&D I think was a hardware store that sold knives I think most were produced before Parker got a hold of the company in the 90s but not 100% on that.
That information sounds familiar. Back in the 80's I also dealt with Tom Fulton, Fulton Hardware, Ripley, Ohio. He sold and purchased Bulldog Brand knives.

Return to “European-made knives”