Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

A place to discuss & share pictures of anything that relates to knives.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Post by TripleF »

Just finished posting this to my blog, thought I'd share the text portion here.....

Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com REVIEW

Steel Sahlute fellow knifers! (And if you’re not a knife carrier…..you should be).

Touted as the Best Every Day Carry Work Knife by the fine folks at DPH I was asked to review one.

Naturally anything that’s touted as the best, just like last years champion has to and will be called to task! You just can’t allow the best to go unchallenged, right?

I received my Work Knife in the mail just a smidge before Christmas last. Immediately I began using and carrying it, and did so almost DAILY for the next 4 months. I don’t work in the field or on a farm but when reviewing a knife I look for opportunities to put it to use!

Before I forget, here’s the Details:
4 ½" G10 Tuff-Tack Comfort Grip
3 ⅜" Heavy-Duty Satin Finished Spear Point Blade
Stay-Sharp cutting Edges (Scalloped & Straight)
440 Rc 57 Stainless Steel
One Hand Opener
Bronze Phosphorous Washers
Stainless Steel Liners and LinerLock
Commercial Grade Parts and Reinforcements
Rear Lanyard Hole
Weighs 4.3 Ounces

TripleF - Fit, Finish and Function

I like the drop-point blade with swedge. I like the partial serration. Everything in the production aligns perfectly on this knife. Locks up firmly with the linerlock! Handle is sturdy.
It’s not meant to be a pretty boy knife, rather a work knife so I’d say the fit and finish and appearance is SPOT ON!!
I used this EDC knife to:
Cut small twigs from branches.
Cut cigar caps
Make shavings for tinder
Cut slices of cardboard
Open small boxes
Cut steak and pork chop

Special Note for the survivalist/outdoors person (what we used to be before the word survival appeared on the scene). The serrated edge makes some purty transparent shavings . I now prefer using a serrated blade for making shavings, thanks to a tip from my Wisconsin pal - Mike!!
You know when you know…...ya know?
Score here - 10!

Accessibility -
Comes with a cheapie nylon velcro sheath which I did not use. I carried thie knife in a snap belt sheath I had or towards the final days the Recycled Firefighter wallet - I preferred this carry most!!
I never carried the Work Knife in my pocket - felt it was too big.
I did tie a custom made lanyard handle to gain access faster from the sheath. Opens with one hand nicely.
I’d score this folder an 8.5 out of a possible 10 steel sahlutes!
Value -
Ya know…..for Forty bucks, shipped, it ain’t half bad!
Score - 8

Sharpening -
was and still am impressed with the edge holding strength. Most of my cutting/slicing in reviewing this pocket knife came as I cut cardboard. I know, I know….carboard has stones in it. But, hey I needed cardboard cut, some knife had to do it. I was pleasantly surprised at how well the steel performed.
The only sharpening I’ve done is with a sharpening steel and
leather strop. I’ve yet to put a stone of any kind near it. I will say, however, that the sharpening steel re-honed the edge better than the leather strop did.
The edge durability definitely impressed me and can see why this would be a top contender for best every day carry work knife.
9.5 outta 10!

Collectability - 0
I’m not going to hold the lack of collectability against this knife because it’s meant to be a work knife, not a collectable.
I believe when you set out to review a knife you have to test it’s limits without using it as a pry bar and throwing knife. I believe if you say it is, then IT IS and it BETTER BE!!

I have to admit I was standoffish when I first read how this work knife was brutally tested by super human workers who were prime examples of more power and grunting. But,......but I’m a believer.

Total EDC KNIFE Steel Sahlute Score: 9.0!!

Scott
Attachments
Work Knife Review (1).JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Best Work Knife by DropPointHunter.com Review

Post by jerryd6818 »

Scott, the thing that stops me from buying one of these is the partially serrated blade. Personal opinion here: I hate serrated blades, partially or otherwise. Other than that? I'll be happy to take your word on it. ::handshake::
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
philco
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by philco »

Jerry have you ever carried and used a serrated or (my preference) a partially serrated blade ? For a hard use knife I love a partially serrated blade. You've still got the fine edge, but you've also got the mega serious cutting capability of the serrated portion of the blade. Just my thoughts, YMMV.
Phil
AAPK Administrator

Jesus died for you. Are you living for Him?

"Buy More Ammo!"
Johnnie Fain 1949-2009
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I feel the same as Jerry. And yes, I have tried serrated in the past, full and partial.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
313 Mike

Post by 313 Mike »

Thanks to the genrosity of Scott, this knife has found a new home in Wisconsin! While I haven't had the opportunity to put it through the paces yet, I can attest to it being a well built, solid knife. No wobble or wiggle to be found...
Mike

There are those who are...and those who wish they were. He himself decides.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Makes some purty knice shavings Mike.....
Attachments
ShavingsSerratedKnifeReviewEDC.jpg
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Chase
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Chase »

I have three of these...various colors. I didn't buy it to use yet I didn't buy it to collect. I bought them because they were from Michael. They sit on my shelves along with all of my Canal Street Knives.

If I needed to get one of these as a work knife or for someone to use...I would not hesitate to grab more of them.

Good job with the Knife Michael and great review as well Scott!

Tom
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Thanks for the responses and special thanks to Scott for taking the time to review our work-knife -- I am very proud of the process we vetted in the making of this work-knife, and because I believe in it so strongly, I want a few more of you to test it out. The first three (3) of you to volunteer (just volunteer below) will get one sent to you free - with the proviso that you have to make a comment about your experiences after using it -- Bring it on!

Mike the Knife
http://www.droppointhunter.com
michael@droppointhunter.com
The Drop Point Hunter, Inc
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Mike, I'll be happy to tote one around and use it for a while here on the ranch, and report back. I'll pm you the address.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

Mike, I would love to give one a workout. I will pm you my info.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Great review, Scott, sounds like a good knife. I also dislike serrated blades. I have one knife with a serrated blade and it cuts very well. But I just prefer regular blades.
Mel
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Ken and David are in and I have received their info via PM -- one more to go

Dinadan -- before we designed this knife -- I would have agreed with you 100% -- I have even been known to be persnickety about straight edge blades historically -- but my inherent prejudice has been proven wrong on this -- We have had so many tell us how startlingly useful this knife is under extreme usage - from the work crew that helped us design and test it -- to customers who have been repeat buyers -- overall I've become a convert and have made this my own personal EDC. It turns out, and as part of this particular adventure, that there are times when a straight edge alone does not get the job done out in the brush. I have now placed one in every mobile unit and vehicle on our farm and they come in very handy.
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

Michael,
I'd be happy to give one of these knives a good workout as a EDC and give it a review. I'll send a PM.
Thanks
Rick
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Okay -- with Ricky that makes 3
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
Jody744
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Jody744 »

I would have bought one years ago in green if there were no serrations. Just my own thing, never warmed up to them.
"I like Case, Queen, S & M, Fightn' Rooster and many more."
(quote stolen from one of Jody Brown's posts)
Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I just received my Best Work Knife yesterday. Thanks Michael, that was quick. My first impression is that this is a well made solid knife. Everything is tight, it is nice and sharp, and the size is great for just about anything I'll need it for. I put it in my pocket this morning and left the Kershaw " Needs Work" at home. I'll use this one for EDC and give it a good test run. Updates to come. Thanks again Michael.
Ricky
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

I received the knife from Michael in yesterday's mail. Out-of-the-box impression was very good. Excellent fit and finish, smooth operation (maybe a little stiff but not unexpected for a new knife, and not enough so that it couldn't be opened easily enough with one hand). I did what I always do with any new knife - put a drop of oil in the blade pivot.

As I was oiling it my wife came in with one of her eyebrow pencils she wanted sharpened. Quick work, and made some very nice but short little wood shavings! I'll give it an A+ for sharpness and have a bald spot on my arm to prove it.

Didn't have time to do it yesterday but today I'll put a short lanyard on the knife (which has a lanyard hole for that purpose) and slip it into the back pocket of my jeans. Nothing wrong with the nylon sheath that came with the knife - I just prefer back pocket carry for a knife this size, and already carry a Leatherman on my belt. Either that or I need to get a Batman utility belt. ::facepalm::

Looking forward to using the knife and reporting back. Thanks Mike!

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

edge213
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by edge213 »

I also received a knife from Mike yesterday. I agree the F&F is outstanding. I think the sheath is a little to "cheapy", but I'm going to carry the knife in it while I do the testing. More to come later.
David
"Glowing like the metal on the edge of a knife" Meat Loaf
D.P. Hunter

Post by D.P. Hunter »

Regarding knife sheaths for the work-knives: We have found they are a mixed bag -- unlike the knives, some were made better than others. Our quality control was not as good when it came to the sheaths, and about 1 out of 8 of them have yielded complaints, which is above what we hold as our acceptable thresh-hold (1% or 1 out of 100 is our view of an acceptable threshold). The majority of our customers, however, do like and use them. Whenever a customer has brought a sheath problem to our attention we have offered to replace them. Not everyone is a sheath user - that's why we put the lanyard ferrule in the knife. Our original testers hated sheaths and used the lanyard carry. Our bottom line is that we do not like to ship naked knives - so the sheath was originally for providing a covering for the knife in shipping and a side benefit for those who wanted to use it for carry purposes. Our first work-knives were boxed without a sheath and we had a smattering of requests for sheaths. Our second version was sheathed without a box.
PO Box 373
Wawarsing, NY 12489
845-524-4508
keithlong

Post by keithlong »

Just found this thread, if you need another tester, I wouuld be happy to try one, I do alot of whittling and would love to try the serrated blade.
KeithLLong

It does not cost any more to carry a sharp knife than it does to carry a dull knife
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

It's been just over a month now since I received the "Best Work Knife" from Michael, so it's time for some feedback. As stated previously the knife was shaving-sharp out of the box, with excellent fit and finish. I put a short leather lanyard through the lanyard hole and have been back-pocket carrying the knife daily.

So far the knife has met every task I've put it to. In addition to common every day opening of boxes and feed bags, etc, it has:

Cut through a huge mess of polyester hay baling twine that somehow accumulated inside my round baler (took about 2-1/2 hours to clean it all out!)

Cut the wings off dead pigeons which were then attached to "dummies" used for training dogs.

Trimmed the excess off the strips used to plug a puncture hole in a tractor tire. Used the serrated portion of the blade for this as the non-serrated portion wouldn't cut it. If not for the serrated blade I probably would have had to use dykes to cut it.

I have not attempted to sharpen it yet. The knife still has a good edge but no longer sharp enough to shave the hair on my arm. Functionally the knife has met expectations, and is still as tight as it was when received. I'll use it a while longer before trying to sharpen it - probably try using a steel on it first. Will cover in my next report.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

Bamarick

Post by Bamarick »

I'll give an update on my Best Work Knife too. I received it on July 28,2016. It was nice and sharp and was tight and solid right out of the box. Since I got it I have carried it every day. I work at a job where we have to cut the twine from bales of straw, lots of bales, and it has done a great job with that. I have also opened quite a few boxes and bags with it. I have sharpened it once with a sharpening stone and it only took a few passes to get it back to shaving sharp. I just used it to peel an apple and it did a nice job on that even with the serrated edge. So far it has done everything I've asked of it. It seems to be just a good all around knife for EDC. I'll send further updates but thanks again Michael.
Rick
Edgewise

Post by Edgewise »

I'm always interested in heavy duty knives just for the sake of overkill, so I'm interested to know why the liner lock was chosen over the back lock, which I thought was a stronger lock, or even a frame lock.
I also like to compare knives and the best difference I can see here is the strength of the pivot pin area which takes added pressure, kinda like the extra long Barlow bolster; and the pivot strength also has to step up to suit that beautiful, powerful blade geometry.
I have to admit that if I suddenly need to pry something and all I have at hand is a folding knife then that's what I'll use. ::paranoid::
Is there anything I'm missing of the commercial grade additions over other knives?
Of course the big shocker was the low price for this knife, but I suppose it's just an introductory price.
Oh and one more thing, I always avoid serrations but if I knew how to sharpen them properly I'd probably grow to love them.
And one more thing, big congratulations on Best Work Knife. It certainly stands out front and center. ::tu::

Return to “General Knife Discussion”