monarch straight razor

This forum is for the straight razor collectors among us. Please stop by and share your knowledge, show off your razors, ask questions, or just look around.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

monarch straight razor

Post by carrmillus »

.........anyone out there have a monarch straight razor(1886-1888)??..I always thought this one was my grandfather's razor, but he wasn't born until 1892, so it has to be my great-grandfather's. the handles appear to be buffalo horn................ ::shrug:: .......................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: monarch straight razor

Post by carrmillus »

....thought I'd punch this one up again!!!....surely someone has one of these besides me!!!...... ::dang:: ...................
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

Just went through all my razor tang stamps and couldn't find one Monarch. Can you post a pic of yours? I'd like to see it.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

...the mickey mouse camera I have is on the blink again,when my son comes again, i'll see if I can get a decent photo!!...... ::tu:: ............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

..still looking for info on MONARCH straight razors!!............. ::shrug:: .........................
RobesonsRme.com

Post by RobesonsRme.com »

Goins states it was a trademark used by McCoy & Sanders, 1886 to 1888.

About McCoy & Sanders, he states, "Located in New York City and owned by Joseph Francis McCoy and Walter Sanders. They Imported all types of cutlery."

He Shows, MONARCH and dates it 1886.

About J. F. McCoy, he states, c. 1893 to 1908. "Joseph Francis McCoy was located at 157 Chambers Street, New York City. It is believed to be the outgrowth of McCoy & Sanders."

He shows, AXIOM and dates it 1893.

I suspect you already knew most, if not all that, since you knew your grandfather's birth post-dated the company.

Charlie Noyes
DE OPPRESSO LIBER

"...Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons ___but they are helpless against our prayers. "

Sidlow Baxter
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

....thanks, Charlie, my goin's is a 1998 issue, and that was all the info I was ever able to find!!.......... ::tu:: ...................
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

carrmillus wrote:....thanks, Charlie, my goin's is a 1998 issue, and that was all the info I was ever able to find!!.......... ::tu:: ...................
......maybe i'll try shaving with this again!!, I tried several years ago and wound up looking like I'd been in a hatchet fight without a hatchet!!!................. ::facepalm:: ............................
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

carrmillus wrote: ......maybe i'll try shaving with this again!!, I tried several years ago and wound up looking like I'd been in a hatchet fight without a hatchet!!!................. ::facepalm:: ............................
If it won't cut a free standing hair on your arm, it's gonna be a painful shave. :wink:
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

.....OW, that is definitely not the problem, it is scary sharp!!, I've decided I'm the problem!!...... ::td:: ...............
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

......somebody out there has got to have one of these besides me!!!!.............. ::tu:: ::tu:: :mrgreen: ::ds:: ::shrug:: ::handshake:: ::pray:: .....................
Owd Wullie

Post by Owd Wullie »

There are a couple of good straight razor forums out there. I don't participate in them any more for one reason or another but there is a lot of info to be had at the, Sharper Razor Palace and Badger and Blade come to mind.

After reading this post again, That razor could very easily have been your grandfather's razor as it predates him if I read it right. It might have been given to him by his father.

Either way, I hope you find some information or another to compare it to.

W
Member of The West Texas Chapter Of Gun Ownin', Pickup Truck Drivin', Jingoistic, Right Wing, History Changin', Huge Carbon Footprint Leavin' Conspirators.
carrmillus
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by carrmillus »

........thanks for the info, wullie, i'll see if I can look that up??....I'm no computer genius, they are the reason I'm not working anymore!!.goin's says they were only in business 2 years(1886-1888), so I'm pretty sure this razor was my great grandfather's razor, which makes it even more special to me!!...I only tried to shave with it once, and I wound up looking like I had been in a hatchet fight without a hatchet!!!!!.................. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu:: ......................
John1751

Post by John1751 »

I have a Monarch straight razor. It was made in Woodbury, Connecticut. It has a box from the Continental Cutlery Co., Kansas City, Missouri. I know that Woodbury was once known for its cutlery. The handle looks like black plastic. The razor was owned by my great-grandfather, Jasper Owings (1853-1935).
I presume that it dates from the 1900's. Does anyone know about Monarch straight razors made in Woodbury?

Return to “Straight Razor Collector's Forum”