Celluloid Handles

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
CheckSix

Re: Celluloid Handles

Post by CheckSix »

tongueriver wrote:Those are some dandy fingernail pickers! ::tu::
These are all cell stockman and cattle knives; all but three are Schrades or Schrade Cut.Co.s. I stuck them to a sheet of steel I cut to fit with those ittybitty neodymium super magnets.
Wow Cal! there is some really neat knives in that display.

The non-cell one on my photo above, is in the Catalog E, as a SCC #2173 EEJ. Neat knife ....but off topic, because of the bone.
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

I've got this one coming in... Griffon #163, 3-3/8" closed, Carbo Magnetic... in celluloid...
Attachments
Picture 003.jpg
NRA Life/Endowment
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

That's a beauty! Congrats. ::tu::
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

For me the celluloid knives are too important to overlook. The "Roaring 20's" were a great time for color and design in US history. It think that many of the old celluloids exemplify this. I buy them with some caution just checking to make sure the handles are at least stable when I buy them. Store them separately and check them often.
Attachments
DSC08053.JPG
DSC08059.JPG
DSC08075.JPG
DSC08063.JPG
DSC00116.JPG
DSC00118.JPG
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

btrwtr wrote:For me the celluloid knives are too important to overlook. The "Roaring 20's" were a great time for color and design in US history. It think that many of the old celluloids exemplify this. I buy them with some caution just checking to make sure the handles are at least stable when I buy them. Store them separately and check them often.
Wayne,
That is a lot of Case cell goodness you posted there! Wow!
I'm just now dipping my toes in the celluloid "water". I have a few old SCC and Camillus examples already and I've got 6 new ones coming in from various makers. The Griffon above is one of them. I've got to figure out how to store them yet, separate from my other knives.

Interestingly, I've had a Utica Girl Scout Featherweight with synthetic black jigged handles for about 40 yrs. About a year ago I noticed when I pulled it out to use it, the master was covered in a weird pattern with a dark material. I cleaned it and put it away. Only to discover it had done it again. At the time, I didn't know what was causing this. Now, since joining AAPK, I know what is causing it. It has always been kept far away from my collection.
NRA Life/Endowment
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

btrwtr wrote:For me the celluloid knives are too important to overlook. The "Roaring 20's" were a great time for color and design in US history. It think that many of the old celluloids exemplify this. I buy them with some caution just checking to make sure the handles are at least stable when I buy them. Store them separately and check them often.
Magnificent array, Wayne (as usual). Of course the stockmans are my favorites. ::tu:: ::tu:: ::tu::
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

The variety of celluloid color and design is interesting. Until I started reading this forum I would never have guessed that a lot of those handles were the same basic material. I tend to shy away from celluloid, but every now and then I see an one that I figure just needs a home. Here are a couple of worn down pyramite whittlers: the top one is Henry Sears and the bottom Valley Forge.
Attachments
Henry Sears top and Valley Forge bottom.
Henry Sears top and Valley Forge bottom.
Mel
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I really like the shield on that Valley Forge. I am always curious when I see a Henry Sears as to who made it for them. By the way, Mel, my wife was born in coastal Alabama! Do I sense a slight wharnnie bent in your being?
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

A lot of nice cell handle knives shown here ::tu::

I have this old tool kit.
Attachments
aerial.jpg
AAPK Janitor
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Nice kit. Wasn't Aerial one of two or three makers who specialized in the "picture" handles? Some of them had extremely unattractive floozies on them.
Here is an unmarked junior cattle.
434498285_o.jpg
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

tongueriver wrote:I really like the shield on that Valley Forge. I am always curious when I see a Henry Sears as to who made it for them. By the way, Mel, my wife was born in coastal Alabama! Do I sense a slight wharnnie bent in your being?
Nice Cattle knife.
I do not know much about Henry Sears: from what I have read on this forum I get the impression that factual information about the company is hard to come by. The Sears I have does not remind me of any other knife I own, that is for sure.

Regarding the wharnie bent, yes I have pretty well focused on wharncliffe knives for the time being. Not exclusively, but mostly. It helps me resist buying 99% of knives!

I bet your wife does not miss the humidity!
Miller Bro's wrote:A lot of nice cell handle knives shown here ::tu::

I have this old tool kit.
That is a nice celluloid effect. That stuff was really versatile.
Mel
peanut740
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by peanut740 »

A whole bunch of fine knives being shown. ::tu::
Roger
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

There are some really nice celluloids in this thread! I like them too but am cautious about getting them - only if they still look good (no evidence of problems) and they're not too expensive. I hate the thought of spending a bunch on one only to have it go bad later. Here's a few of many that I've acquired over the years.

Ken
Attachments
Case & Son's Bradford
Case & Son's Bradford
Shapleigh's Diamond Edge
Shapleigh's Diamond Edge
Rev-o-noc
Rev-o-noc
Wilbert Cutlery
Wilbert Cutlery
Rather & Co.
Rather & Co.
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
Miller Bro's
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Miller Bro's »

tongueriver wrote:Nice kit. Wasn't Aerial one of two or three makers who specialized in the "picture" handles? Some of them had extremely unattractive floozies on them.
Thanks, the big three were Aerial, Canton and Novelty Cutlery Co.

Not all the floozies were unattractive! :wink: :lol:
Attachments
6.JPG
7.JPG
AAPK Janitor
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::hmm:: Just a question, did Case, make knives with celluloid handles?I'm not that knowledgeable on Case knives. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
deltaboy

Post by deltaboy »

I got one Old Hammer Brand in Yellow. Nice knife.
Keep Near the Cross.
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

fergusontd wrote:::hmm:: Just a question, did Case, make knives with celluloid handles?I'm not that knowledgeable on Case knives. ftd
Case used celluloid quite a lot during and prior to the Tested era, and into the early XX era. Examples include the Christmas tree, candy stripe, and goldstone handles, along with the yellow "white liner" (handle designation 3) and imitation pearl/cracked ice (9) handles. Most of them seem to be of a stable nature but the yellow with white liner stuff is notorious for shrinking and cracking. There probably were other types ::shrug:: that haven't survived due to instability (speculation on my part - I have no evidence). ::paranoid::

Ken

Edit: FWIW here's a link to an old post from knifeaholic Steve regarding Case yellow celluloid http://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/kni ... ye#p460322
Attachments
Case yellow w/white liner
Case yellow w/white liner
Case imitation onyx
Case imitation onyx
Case imitation pearl
Case imitation pearl
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
fergusontd

Post by fergusontd »

::tu:: Mumblypeg, thank you for your reply, This answers my question I appreciate this knowledge. ftd
"A pocketknife is a man's best friend!"
espn77

Post by espn77 »

I've been lucky I guess. All of my Remington celluloid/pyremite knives seem to be good. Maybe one day I'll regret it but I keep them in displays next to my other knives. I pulled them out of the displays for pictures and will wipe them down before they go back.
Attachments
IMG_20170129_145132812.jpg
IMG_20170129_145754598.jpg
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

Some real beauties there Kieth!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Thanks Wayne. One thing about the celluloid. You can get some crazy patterns.
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

espn77 wrote:I've been lucky I guess. All of my Remington celluloid/pyremite knives seem to be good. Maybe one day I'll regret it but I keep them in displays next to my other knives. I pulled them out of the displays for pictures and will wipe them down before they go back.
I note that there is one solid black handle knife, second from left in the bottom photo. I never think of celluloid when I see a solid black handle, but I guess I should. Thanks for posting that very broad array of celluloid patterns.
Mel
espn77

Post by espn77 »

Dinadan wrote:
espn77 wrote:I've been lucky I guess. All of my Remington celluloid/pyremite knives seem to be good. Maybe one day I'll regret it but I keep them in displays next to my other knives. I pulled them out of the displays for pictures and will wipe them down before they go back.
I note that there is one solid black handle knife, second from left in the bottom photo. I never think of celluloid when I see a solid black handle, but I guess I should. Thanks for posting that very broad array of celluloid patterns.
It's just a poor picture.
Attachments
IMG_20170129_162858065.jpg
IMG_20170129_162908748.jpg
Tsar Bomba

Post by Tsar Bomba »

I tend to avoid cell-handled knives as a rule but I have made the occasional exception...
29592627610_ebdc0ac12d_k.jpg
27000612095_599673b6cf_k.jpg
31750163993_01b9a5cf9d_k.jpg
Tony
ImageImageImageImage
Everything's better with a Barlow
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

espn - thanks for the clarification. By the way, that is a nice knife.

Tony - I also make the occasional exception. That Imperial at the top is a unique looking knife.
Mel

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”