Celluloid Handles

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Re: Celluloid Handles

Post by thegreedygulo »

NICE knives everyone. Thanks for posting!
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
danno50
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by danno50 »

Many beautiful knives posted in this thread! I do not have many celluloid knives and most are either French ivory or dark colored composite. This Keen Kutter was the only one I had with colourful scales, and as the pictures show it recently started outgassing. I caught it very early and removed the handles. I ordered some Kirinite in tortoise shell pattern to try my hand at rehandling a pocket knife.
Dan
Attachments
RIMG0797.JPG
RIMG0798.JPG
Dan
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Here's a few of the new celluloid ones that came in yesterday...

- Griffon xx Worcester / Carbo Magnetic (first 2 pictures)

- Ulster Jr Cattle Tidewater Supply Co. advertising

- Ulster EE Jack

All 3 knives are 3-3/8"
Attachments
DSC_9261.JPG
DSC_9263.JPG
DSC_9283.JPG
DSC_9278.JPG
Dave - the new guy. :lol:
NRA Life/Endowment
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Here are the French Ivory knives that arrived yesterday...

- Paxton and Gallagher tear drop jack 3-5/8"

- Harris Bros regular jack 3-3/8"

- Ulster slim whittler 3-5/8"
Attachments
DSC_9281.JPG
DSC_9272.JPG
DSC_9271.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

checksix: You have been busy. Nice group of knives. ::tu::
A pocket knife is still an intimate personal possession of the individual who carries it and consequently deserves the best of materials, finish and workmanship in its production. (Quoted from Boker's 1928 cutlery catalog).
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

thegreedygulo wrote:checksix: You have been busy. Nice group of knives. ::tu::
Thanks! Yes, I've been enjoying this acquisition period a lot!

Of the 6 celluloids I posted above, my 2 favorites are: the Griffon Carbo Magnetic and the Paxton & Gallagher tear drop.
NRA Life/Endowment
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Nice haul indeed Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: I agree with you on the Griffon, it's a prize for sure, and I like the P&G also.

Ken
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

Mumbleypeg wrote:Nice haul indeed Dave! ::tu:: ::tu:: I agree with you on the Griffon, it's a prize for sure, and I like the P&G also.

Ken
Thanks Ken! With me being still very new to the hobby, it's not unusual for me to not know history of brands, scarcity, etc. But I have a feeling that the Griffon and P&G are not common brands. It's also not been easy for me to find information on them either.
NRA Life/Endowment
btrwtr
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by btrwtr »

For being "new" you sure are picking up some really fine knives. That Griffon does it for me!
If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.

Wayne

Please visit My AAPK store https://www.allaboutpocketknives.com/catalog/btrwtr
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Dave, could you show us the Griffon with the other blades open ? Not sure if it is a 2 or 3 blade knife, i.e. Moose or Cattle knife ?
With 'oldies' it is best to not have more than 1 blade on a spring open at the same time.
I have never had a spring break but others have when setting up for a picture with all blades open.
kj
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

kootenay joe wrote:Dave, could you show us the Griffon with the other blades open ? Not sure if it is a 2 or 3 blade knife, i.e. Moose or Cattle knife ?
With 'oldies' it is best to not have more than 1 blade on a spring open at the same time.
I have never had a spring break but others have when setting up for a picture with all blades open.
kj
kj,
It's a 2 blade double ended jack, with the spear (as shown) and a clip blade, on two separate springs. Being only 3-3/8" closed length, I don't know if this length qualifies it as a Moose pattern or Bullhead or Texas jack. Further, the shield side as shown above, has the spear blade in what I would consider the master blade position. I thought I read somewhere that Levine says for it to be a moose pattern, the master blade has to be the clip blade, with a spear secondary. But being as I'm so new to all of this, I could have all of this wrong. :lol:
Attachments
DSC_9322.JPG
DSC_9323.JPG
NRA Life/Endowment
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

That bull-headed junior moosely cigar jack is a beauty! I don't know what to call it either. Here is another junior cattle knife, unmarked.
434498285_o.jpg
thegreedygulo
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by thegreedygulo »

Nice one Cal! ::nod::
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

I found a couple more pics.
cell001.jpg
Imps002.jpg
CheckSix

Post by CheckSix »

tongueriver wrote:That bull-headed junior moosely cigar jack is a beauty! I don't know what to call it either. Here is another junior cattle knife, unmarked.
LOL!! Glad I'm not alone.

Love all the cells you are showing! ::tu::
NRA Life/Endowment
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

I was rummaging through my pile and ran across this one. It belonged to my grampa and my mom says he might have gotten it from his dad.
Anyway it's a Western States. Is it a stockman or a Texas Jack? It's 4" long. I can't find it in either one of my books. It's often sharpened and has years of pocket wear, but pretty nice.
Bruce
Berryb

Post by Berryb »

why do I keep doing that?
Attachments
IMG_4293.JPG
IMG_4294.JPG
IMG_4296.JPG
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

It is a nice butter-and-molasses stockman; a Texas jack (I think) has that same frame, serpentine, with squared pinched bolsters, but TWO blades, originating from the same end. Usually a clip and a pen?
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

Berryb - good looking butter and molasses stockman. (I agree with Tongueriver about the stockman part.)

Here is a little Bulldog Sunday Whittler. I got it just over two years ago. I pulled it out of it drawer a few days ago and had an unpleasant surprise - it is in the early stages of outgassing. Sigh.
Attachments
Bulldog Sunday Whittler in January 2015
Bulldog Sunday Whittler in January 2015
Bulldog Sunday Whittler in March 2017
Bulldog Sunday Whittler in March 2017
Mel
tongueriver

Post by tongueriver »

Dinadan wrote: Here is a little Bulldog Sunday Whittler. I got it just over two years ago. I pulled it out of it drawer a few days ago and had an unpleasant surprise - it is in the early stages of outgassing. Sigh.
Nice knife; too bad about the problem. Ach! Those Deutschgassers! I have been tempted by pretty German knives but was warned and so far I have not purchased any of them.
TripleF
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by TripleF »

Couldn't identify a celluloid handle UNLESS it was gassing, then I know.

Not sure if this little bugger is or not.....
Attachments
IMG_9323.JPG
SCOTT
HOME OF THE BRAVE! (not the scarety cats)

Colonial Knife Company History ebook:
https://gumroad.com/l/ZLDb
Dinadan
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by Dinadan »

tongueriver wrote:
Dinadan wrote: Here is a little Bulldog Sunday Whittler. I got it just over two years ago. I pulled it out of it drawer a few days ago and had an unpleasant surprise - it is in the early stages of outgassing. Sigh.
Nice knife; too bad about the problem. Ach! Those Deutschgassers! I have been tempted by pretty German knives but was warned and so far I have not purchased any of them.
That is probably a very smart attitude. I would not buy an expensive (over $40?) celluloid knife, but every now and then I see something that I like and is not too costly. I have one Fight'n Rooster with celluloid handles, I like it a lot more than the little Bulldog, and I hope it is not next to go!
Fight'n Rooster celluloid whittler
Fight'n Rooster celluloid whittler
TripleF wrote:Couldn't identify a celluloid handle UNLESS it was gassing, then I know.

Not sure if this little bugger is or not.....

With a bit of luck you will never know ... at least, not due to out gassing! That is a nice looking knife, Scott.
Mel
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

trutemper wrote:
knife7knut wrote:Here's a few;makers are listed from top to bottom under the picture.
Thats a great group knifenut! I`m curious about those 2 fairmounts in the top photo. Do they happen to have milled liners? Love that lime green one with the big shield(what is that?) looks like it has a real nice spear master blade! Any chance of seeing more pics of that lime green fairmount? Thanks for showing!

Bob
Sorry to be so late in replying but I just now got back to this thread.The shield is actually a caricature of a golfer inset under a clear plastic bubble. Here are a couple pics of the Fairmonts.
Attachments
FairmontCutleryCoGreenSleeveboardJack1.JPG
FairmontCutleryCoSleeveboardJack w Golfer1.JPG
FairmontCutleryCoSleeveboardJak w Golfer2.JPG
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Scott, i think those are celluloid handles on your pen knife.
Has anyone tried coating celluloid with clear lacquer ? There are various clear lacquers from nail polish to floor finishes.
If this coating did not cause celluloid to break down when applied, it would seal off the celluloid from oxygen and other gases & liquids.
Would this prevent celluloid breakdown ? Is oxygen a requirement for cell breakdown ?
Is there a chemist here ?
kj
knife7knut

Post by knife7knut »

kootenay joe wrote:Scott, i think those are celluloid handles on your pen knife.
Has anyone tried coating celluloid with clear lacquer ? There are various clear lacquers from nail polish to floor finishes.
If this coating did not cause celluloid to break down when applied, it would seal off the celluloid from oxygen and other gases & liquids.
Would this prevent celluloid breakdown ? Is oxygen a requirement for cell breakdown ?

Is there a chemist here ?
kj
I/m not a chemist but one of the components(the main component actually)of celluloid is cellulose nitrate(the others being camphor and alcohol)which is also a component of old style lacquer paint ,racing fuel(nitromethane),and high explosives. It's main attribute is it's ability to burn in a vacuum due to oxygen being a part of it's makeup.
Sealing it off from the outside atmosphere would do little good if the degradation process has already begun.
Adventure BEFORE Dementia!

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”