Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

This forum is dedicated to the discussion and display of old knives. The rich history of all the many companies that made them through the early years will be found here as well as many fine examples of the cutlers art. Share pictures of your old knives and your knowledge here!
LongBlade

Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

Post by LongBlade »

I would like to start a thread on Traditional Pen Knife patterns similar to the Traditional Hunters thread under Knife Lore but without any date restrictions. My “perception” is that Pen Knives were produced and bought by many folks in the early days of the cutlery industry – at least as compared to today. Furthermore many modern makers appear to focus more on larger knives though some companies do make traditional Pen Knives (eg, GEC) – yet even so I believe many small patterns made today have less market potential. So though I was tempted to keep them to 1965 or older I am curious to see those Pen Knives post-1965 - of course in addition to the pre-1965 Pen knives which is my own personal favorites :) ....

Perspective: It appears based on background reading that Pen Knives were actually more difficult to make based on the blades sitting on opposite ends of the spring. This required special crafting of the spring and both blades to open and particularly close into their respective positions without blade or liner rub. Not only were the blades small to grind but to make them snap open and close in their respective positions was and still is a technical skill and challenge – even more so when 4 or more blades are involved. In the old days (over 100 years ago) they were more expensive to purchase in general compared to larger Jack Knives though the market these days has changed that valuation – seems most guys prefer big ol’ Jacks or knives in general – personally I like both but have an affinity for the small knives no less and sometimes even more so than bigger knives.

No doubt Sheffield played an important early role in the development of Pen Knives starting in the 1700s or earlier but particularly in the early 1800s (see “Smith’s Key…” from 1816 for some real beauties categorized as Pen Knives). Indeed, many cutlers emigrated from Sheffield to the Northeast US and the majority of cutlers emigrated from Sheffield to CT, MA and other states. German cutleries also made a number of quality Pen Knives and indeed Germans emigrated to the US cutleries as well but had more trouble getting work here due to the language barrier from my understanding. Nonetheless I would not restrict this thread to any geographic location of a cutlery –any cutlery that makes Pen Knives would be great to show. In fact one may start to see a pattern of styles from different parts of the world!!

Pen knives in my opinion were generally a closed length of 2 1/2” to 3 3/4” (though Levine’s notes Pen Knives as 2 15/16” to 3 3/4”). Most had fancy handle covers such as MOP, ivory, tortoise shell, abalone, engraved aluminum, sterling or gold and jigged bone. However you do see other covers such as smooth bone, horn, wood, composition material and celluloid. Thus Pen Knives were in general “fancy” or “high-end” using top notch materials. In addition high-end Pen Knives had file work on the liners or milled liners. Some blades had fancy file work along the spine. Like other knives there were a variety of bolsters used to make them including tip, crown, equal end as a few examples while others were just shadow patterns (no bolsters). The blades in general were mostly spear point with many showing a file or manicure blade in many cases - some even included scissors. Sheepsfoot, Wharncliffe and even coping blades were seen as well. All three type of blade joints were used including common, half-sunk or sunk – the latter known as sunk joints were the most elegant. Those with sunk joints generally needed cut-outs or notches in the liners/handles to access the nail nicks but there are exceptions dependent upon the pattern or design.

Pen knives probably saw much use in early days as quill knives though overtime they also become popular knives for gentleman and ladies for many uses – small but elagant in many cases and an easy pocket carry for many. I could also see how some of the fancy Pen Knives were just left on desks or tables in days of yore for multiple uses including cutting quills and even sewing for the ladies as just two examples. There was actually quite a variety of Pen Knives in terms of styles or patterns and based on Levine’s categorization of this family of knives as a basis there were the following noted:

TWO-BLADE SENATOR
THREE-BLADE SENATOR (not a whittler)
FOUR-BLADE SENATOR
SLEEVEBOARD
OVAL or CIGAR (Anglo-Saxon & Milton)
TWO-BLADE CONGRESS
FOUR-BLADE CONGRESS
“GUNSTOCK”
CROWN or COFFIN (barrel-shaped)
MODERN CROWN (rectangular)
SWELL-CENTER and BALLOON (including Tuxedos)
PREMIUM (SERPENTINE)
WHARNCLIFFE
“DOG-LEG” SERPENTINE
SWELL-CENTER SERPENTINE
SWELL-CENTER CONGRESS or SWAY-BACK

There were other categories of Pen Knives as discussed in Levine’s separate from those listed above including Skeleton, Whittlers, Lobster knives, Quill knives, Mechanical Pen knives, Office and Letter Openers, Embossed, Color Etched & Enameled Handles, Advertising knives, & Figural and Miniature knives… Feel free to post any of these...

Though we have threads dedicated to some of these such as Whittlers, Congress and Wharncliffe knives I will leave it up to the contributor to include their knives here or in the already specialized established threads or archive them in multiple threads - to me I like to see them in any thread or multiple threads that your knife fits as it is best for research purposes and many use this site as a resource often with different search terms…. AAPK certainly comes up in internet searches near the top when searching out knife information!! To me that makes this site particularly important from that perspective and no doubt I have seen knives on other knife forums reference AAPK as the source of info ::nod:: ...

Pen Knives are no doubt sprinkled here and there under many threads so was hoping we can have one thread that pulls many of them together... Indeed unique patterns are most welcome!!

I’ll start with a few of my own and will no doubt add other examples from my collection as time goes on… Looking forward to seeing other Pen Knives from all and hope this thread draws some interest… Let’s pay some homage to the Pen Knife :D Thanks to all! ::tu::

Thomaston Knife Co Equal-End Pen (3 & 1/16”) – Jigged bone with bar shield… interesting pattern in that secondary pen blade had a nail nick whereas master blade had a long pull but more so note that the secondary pen had a common joint whereas the master was essentially a half-sunk joint (close to full sunk but ever so slightly above liner) … one other note about this knife not obvious in photos is that the pattern was rather flat from the mark to pile sides.
Closed Mark Side DSCN6314.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN6335.JPG
Blades Open DSCN6377.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN6382.JPG
Southington Cut Co Crown Pen (3”) – MOP with classic crown bolsters with a taper towards the ends rather than straight barrel-shaped crown bolsters seen on some knives… both the master and file or manicure blade had long pulls with common joints on both.
Closed Mark Side DSCN6604 2.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN6633.JPG
Blades Open - Master - DSCN6539.JPG
Blades Open - File - DSCN6550.JPG
Tang Stamp DSCN6585.JPG
Cheers!
Lee
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Re: Homage to Traditional Pen Knives

Post by Quick Steel »

I believe this is the only pen knife I have. It was made in Germany but other than that I have no other information.
P1010798.JPG
P1010799.JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

I just realized there is a 3rd blade. This is in a whittler pattern.
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Nice old knife QS ::tu:: ... I guess based on your post Germany was on blade but no maker stamp - nonetheless pretty cool if it is a whittler with patterned sterling (looks like sterling and not nickel silver) - don't see too many whittler patterns with sterling covers ::nod:: ... is the third blade broken off or just buried in the frame? Thanks for sharing!

Post by tjmurphy »

Here are two that come to mind that I have: CASE XX, U.S.A. MOP handles and a Henckles sleeve board pen with ebony handles.
MVC-043F.JPG
MVC-012F.JPG
"There are none so blind as those that refuse to see"

God Bless America - Though I don't know why he would want to.
kootenay joe

Post by kootenay joe »

Great idea for a thread ! Pen knives are my favorite, esp 4 blade Senators, zenith of the cutler's skill. I have a lot of pen knives, at least many hundreds, so it will take some time but i will find a variety of patterns & makers & then post pictures here.
kj
Lawrence

Post by Lawrence »

Great thread LB...I have all kinds of pen knives, love them...here's a Hartkopf & Co, Germany, and and IXL Gorge Wostenholm, Sheffield that I carry regularly. cheers
Attachments
Hartkopf & Co Solingen Germany (5).JPG
IXL George Wostenholm horn (8).JPG
Quick Steel
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by Quick Steel »

Lee, Germany was on the blade, that's all. All blades are full. I didn't realize there was a third blade until after the photo shoot. I'm confident it is sterling silver.
zp4ja

Post by zp4ja »

A seriously underrated pattern in my opinion.

Here is an old (like 100 y/o) smoke pearl MOP. Some say re-handled. Personally not convinced of that. Regardless, some of the prettiest pearl I have ever seen and the knife is in great condition for its age.

And some newer 65'-69' siblings in imitation MOP. I believe this is the only knife pattern, pattern 61 that CASE ever made with a cuticle blade.

Jerry
Attachments
CASE Bradford PA_ 8261_mark side blades open.jpg
CASE Bradford PA_ 8261_pile side blades open.jpg
CASE Bradford PA_ 8261_comparison to USA models.jpg
That man is a success who has lived well, laughed often and loved much; who leaves the world better than he found it; who never lacked appreciation of earth's beauty or failed to express it; who looked for the best in other's and gave the best he had.
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Lawrence!! So good to 'see' your smiling face. Haven't seen you around in a while and missed you.

The first one that came to mind was this Miller Bro's watch fob knife. Do you consider this a pen knife???? Even after reading the OP, my definition is any small knife with blades at both ends.
Miller Bros Open W-Chain.JPG
Surely these Miracle Whip knives fit the category.
1937 Miracle Whip 4th Anniversary - Open Mark.JPG
And how about this Wabash Cutlery Tuxedo, so generously sent to me by edgy46. What a little beauty. I feel honored to have it.
Wabash Cutlery Tuxedo - Mark Open.JPG
Forged on the anvil of discipline.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

"The #72 pattern has got to be pretty close to the perfect knife."
--T.J. Murphy 2012
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

WOW - ::ds:: - thanks to all for sharing those awesome beauties!! ::tu:: ::tu:: ... I'm really glad I am not the only one that truly appreciates these smaller gems ::nod:: :)

Jerryd - and yes FOB knives in my book count so thanks!!!

Keep'em coming fellas!!!

Here is my H&B Pen with worm groove jigged bone that I posted before in General Discussion but certainly deserves some "homage" :D ...
Closed Mark Side DSCN6021 3.JPG
Closed Pile Side DSCN6012.JPG
Blades Open DSCN6027.JPG
Thanks again to all!! ::tu::

Post by dcgm4 »

Very interesting topic, Lee! I can't wait to see what knives will show up in this thread. ::tu:: On that note, here are a few of mine.

1. Wm. Elliot & Co.
2. A. F. Bannister & Co.
3. Vignos
4. Dixon Cutlery Co.
Attachments
Wm. Elliot Pair.jpg
Bannister Sleeveboard Congress 1.JPG
Bannister Sleeveboard Congress 1.JPG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 7905 times
Vignos1.JPG
Vignos2.JPG
Dixon Cutlery 1.jpg
Dixon Cutlery 2.jpg
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

What a nice opportunity to show off some knives.

At 3" this is one of my favorite knives. A gift from Lee. Thanks so much, Pal.
Attachments
DSCN7098.JPG
DSCN7100.JPG
DSCN7102.JPG
DSCN7104.JPG
Joe
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

A gift from my daughter a few years back.
2 15/16".
Attachments
DSCN7107.JPG
DSCN7110.JPG
DSCN7112.JPG
DSCN7115.JPG
DSCN7117.JPG
DSCN7120.JPG
Joe
rea1eye

Post by rea1eye »

Good topic!

I have not been carrying these too much. Perhaps I should give them another chance.
Very light weight in pocket, non threatening when you take them out, no pocket bulge.
All under 3 1/4 inch.

Let's see more of them!

Bob
Attachments
Case.7279.jpg
Case.9261.jpg
Case.72033.jpg
bighomer

Post by bighomer »

Three Queens, the Camillus my mother carried in her apron pocket and a Challenge I stole from friend Scott.
Attachments
20170609_181143.jpg
Mumbleypeg
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by Mumbleypeg »

Some nice pens from all y'all! Here's a few I'll contribute.

Ken
W.R. Case & Son's (with apostrophe)
W.R. Case & Son's (with apostrophe)
Premier Lifetime, horn handles
Premier Lifetime, horn handles
Case Brothers, Little Valley, N.Y.
Case Brothers, Little Valley, N.Y.
Case XX U.S.A. 9261
Case XX U.S.A. 9261
Rather & Co.
Rather & Co.
Case XX (stamped upside down) and Case XX U.S.A.
Case XX (stamped upside down) and Case XX U.S.A.
Premier Lifetime, stag
Premier Lifetime, stag
Member AKTI, TSRA, NRA.

If your religion requires that you hate someone, you need a new religion.

When the people fear their government, that is tyranny. When government fears the people, that is freedom.

https://www.akti.org/
galvanic1882
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Great thread Lee.

Here is a Beaver Falls pearl.
Attachments
3_beaver_falls_v4.jpg
LongBlade

Post by LongBlade »

Dave - my friend you have an eye for awesome unique knives from bolsters to pattern (a Sleeveboard Congress :D) and handle covers ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Is that Vignos half abalone half MOP or just 2 shades of abalone??

Joe - I am glad you are enjoying that Wostenholm ::tu:: ::tu:: - no doubt the pleasure was all mine my good friend :D ::tu:: ... That gift from your daughter is an awesome knife - an old Rodgers sleeveboard with ivory handles - Wow ::tu::

Bob - those Case pens are all very cool ::tu:: ::tu:: I really like those stag handles and Birds Eye maple on a serpentine frame on the 72033 is sweet and unique for sure (at least for me) !! I am not sure I have seen a really old pen with stag and didn't even include stag as a possible handle cover in the OP.... so thanks for sharing those!!

Great selection Bighomer ::tu:: ::tu:: - and the Camillus from your Mom's apron is no doubt the most special!!!

Ken - Awesome variety of pen knives ::tu:: ::tu:: ... how big is that Premier Lifetime?

Mike - That MOP Beaver falls is an awesome old pen ::tu:: ::tu::

Cheers!
Lee
Silver Tier
Silver Tier

Post by galvanic1882 »

Couple of etched Electric's
Attachments
electricpens1.jpg
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

A couple more I found.

Baldwin Cutlery 1916-1928
Baldwin Cutlery Company Green Bone 1916-1928.JPG
Camillus #41 Senator - I kinda like these so I have a couple.
Camillus-41-Senator-'60-'76.JPG
Camillus 41 - Mark Open.JPG
Imperial Eli Lilly
Lilly Imperial USA-1.jpg
Schrade Cadillac Craftsman
Cadillac Craftsman 02.jpg
Made in Japan - Dow Chemical advertiser
Dow - Japan.JPG
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

This country has become more about sub-groups than about it's unity as a nation.

--T.J. Murphy 2012
dcgm4

Post by dcgm4 »

galvanic1882 wrote:Here is a Beaver Falls pearl.
Gorgeous knife, Mike! Those Electrics are superb, as well! ::drool::
LongBlade wrote:Dave - my friend you have an eye for awesome unique knives from bolsters to pattern (a Sleeveboard Congress :D) and handle covers ::tu:: ::tu:: ... Is that Vignos half abalone half MOP or just 2 shades of abalone??
Thanks, Lee. :) The Vignos has 2 types of abalone. The white covers come from the species known commonly as white abalone, Haliotis sorenseni. The abalone which we're all more familiar with usually comes from the green abalone, Haliotis fulgens. The species of paua knife collectors are also familiar with is Haliotis iris. It looks similar to green abalone, but has more blue and the colors are more vivid. As I'm sure you know, paua is used today mainly in custom or high-end knives. Basically, different species of abalone produce different colors. The reason we see less of certain colors such as black, pink, and white is because either the species is endangered or it's extremely hard to get enough material (both thickness or length) to be used for knife handles because the shells are too small. You'll see these smaller pieces used more often in jewelry and inlays.
Dave

Always looking for vintage knives with Virginia, Maryland, or Washington D.C. tang stamps. Any condition.
FRJ

Post by FRJ »

Some nice knives showing up here. ::tu::

W.H. Morley and Sons
Robeson.
Attachments
DSCN7161.JPG
DSCN7165.JPG
DSCN7176.JPG
DSCN7182.JPG
Joe
garddogg56
Bronze Tier
Bronze Tier

Post by garddogg56 »

what a great Pen show ::tu::
"On the Road Again"Willie Nelson
jerryd6818
Gold Tier
Gold Tier

Post by jerryd6818 »

Couple of beauties Joe.
The Few. The Proud.
Jerry D.

--T.J. Murphy 2012

Return to “Knife Lore - Traditional Knives From the Old Days”